SWTOTW, Week 29, 2018, Part 1/2 Cantina Adventure Set

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Cantina Adventure Set:

01.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
The 'Cantina Adventure Set'... Hmmm, talk about overselling your product with a misleading title! 'Adventure'?... It's a piece of folded cardboard! It would quite rightly be held in much lower regard by collectors than it is, but for the presence of a certain blue item... 'Adventure'?! A Jedi might not crave it, but children usually do, and I'm not sure how much this piece of **** would have given them! Let's face it, this Sears exclusive is just about as cheap and nasty as it gets. Yes you get 4 figures included, which is both good and a rarity for a Star Wars toy, but let's be honest here, there's absolutely bugger all play value in this thing! It's the Imperial Dignitary of the playset world. The best thing about it is the box it came in! :lol:

Anyway, enough abusing 40 year old toys ;-). Here's mine. It's complete, but sadly had its POP ripped off none-too-carefully by a former owner (thanks for that!):

Piece of Cardboard - 01.jpg

Piece of Cardboard - 02.jpg

Piece of Cardboard - 03.jpg

Piece of Cardboard - 04.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
The 'Cantina Adventure Set'... Hmmm, talk about overselling your product with a misleading title! 'Adventure'?... It's a piece of folded cardboard! It would quite rightly be held in much lower regard by collectors than it is, but for the presence of a certain blue item... 'Adventure'?! A Jedi might not crave it, but children usually do, and I'm not sure how much this piece of **** would have given them! Let's face it, this Sears exclusive is just about as cheap and nasty as it gets. Yes you get 4 figures included, which is both good and a rarity for a Star Wars toy, but let's be honest here, there's absolutely bugger all play value in this thing! It's the Imperial Dignitary of the playset world. The best thing about it is the box it came in! :lol:

Anyway, enough abusing 40 year old toys ;-). Here's mine. It's complete, but sadly had its POP ripped off none-too-carefully by a former owner (thanks for that!):

Piece of Cardboard - 01.jpg

Piece of Cardboard - 02.jpg

Piece of Cardboard - 03.jpg

Piece of Cardboard - 04.jpg

What can I say :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: But I agree after reading your post :lol: there is no ****ing adventure in this playset and the only gold in the playset is blue snaggletooth and for kids in the 70s, then I think not many kids thought about blue snaggletooth and wanted to play with him :lol: It is only us collectors who care about him, because he is ****ing rare and hard to find in great condition :lol: After reading your thread then I thought did any of the SW and ESB playsets sell big time ? All the SW playsets came only in SW boxes, the ESB playset came only in ESB boxes. We see it different with the vehicles, Some SW vehicles also came in ESB boxes and later in ROTJ boxes.

Cool playset, are the bags factory sealed ? 8)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
What can I say :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: But I agree after reading your post :lol: there is no ****ing adventure in this playset and the only gold in the playset is blue snaggletooth and for kids in the 70s, then I think not many kids thought about blue snaggletooth and wanted to play with him :lol: It is only us collectors who care about him, because he is ****ing rare and hard to find in great condition :lol: After reading your thread then I thought did any of the SW and ESB playsets sell big time ? All the SW playsets came only in SW boxes, the ESB playset came only in ESB boxes. We see it different with the vehicles, Some SW vehicles also came in ESB boxes and later in ROTJ boxes.

You make a very good point, Lars! Most of the ships (and even beasts) were issued in more than one logoed box / packaging, as of course were the figures, but other than the Empire boxed Kenner Droid Factory, I can't think of any playset which saw a reissue in a later film's packaging (please correct me here, Forum members if I am missing any! :)). You could argue that each playset was specific to one film and that's why they weren't reissued in a later film's packaging, but of course that argument doesn't even begin to add up when we see the Sandcrawler reissued in an Empire box, and the Tauntaun & Wampa reissued in ROJ packaging, etc.. If it did, those things should never have been reissued, yet they were, so why weren't the playsets?

I will say that at least here in the UK, when the new Empire toys came out, some of the older Star Wars toys, including playsets, were still available alongside the new stuff. However, to the very best of my knowledge, even though appeared side by side on the shelves and in leaflets like the one below, the older toys still came in Star Wars logoed packaging:

Old Toys, New Catalogue.jpg

And in answer to your question, no unfortunately the bags are not factory sealed :-(

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:

You make a very good point, Lars! Most of the ships (and even beasts) were issued in more than one logoed box / packaging, as of course were the figures, but other than the Empire boxed Kenner Droid Factory, I can't think of any playset which saw a reissue in a later film's packaging (please correct me here, Forum members if I am missing any! :)). You could argue that each playset was specific to one film and that's why they weren't reissued in a later film's packaging, but of course that argument doesn't even begin to add up when we see the Sandcrawler reissued in an Empire box, and the Tauntaun & Wampa reissued in ROJ packaging, etc.. If it did, those things should never have been reissued, yet they were, so why weren't the playsets?

I will say that at least here in the UK, when the new Empire toys came out, some of the older Star Wars toys, including playsets, were still available alongside the new stuff. However, to the very best of my knowledge, even though appeared side by side on the shelves and in leaflets like the one below, the older toys still came in Star Wars logoed packaging:

Old Toys, New Catalogue.jpg
And in answer to your question, no unfortunately the bags are not factory sealed :-(

Thanks, I forgot about the sandcrawler playset and the Droids Factory but I don't remember I have seen other playsets. I think they did not sell so well so there was no need to produce a new box because they had produced more than they could sell, but I do not know it, it is what I think. Could be cool to hear what other members think or maybe know ? :? I also think the Ewok Village, Jabba the Hutt playset and The Max Rebo Band sold better than any of the sw and esb playsets. Even the cool palitoy Death Star we did not see in new boxes :?

Sorry to read the bags are not sealed, but cool poster, I don't think I have seen that one before :shock:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
... cool poster, I don't think I have seen that one before :shock:
In that case, you might like to see the other side of it :-D

Old Toys, New Catalogue - Back.jpg

Awesome, thanks :D any idea what such a catalogue cost today ? :?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Ok here are my Cantina Adventure Set, I bought it in 2011 from a guy in USA. He was selling his Star Wars collection and I was lucky to get this set and about 350 figures complete with weapons from him. That was still the good old days where figures complete with weapons still could be bought in lots for a very good price, I remember I paid about £2.5 for each figure so it was a very good price.

P1160990.JPG

P1160992.JPG

P1160993.JPG

P1160994.JPG

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Ok here are my Cantina Adventure Set, I bought it in 2011 from a guy in USA. He was selling his Star Wars collection and I was lucky to get this set and about 350 figures complete with weapons from him. That was still the good old days where figures complete with weapons still could be bought in lots for a very good price, I remember I paid about £2.5 for each figure so it was a very good price.

P1160990.JPG

P1160992.JPG

P1160993.JPG

P1160994.JPG
That's a great set, Lars, and that deal buying the collection was good too :). Well done on that and thanks for sharing your playset. It's nice the see the instruction leaflet, as my set is missing that.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:

P1160990.JPG

P1160992.JPG

P1160993.JPG

P1160994.JPG
That's a great set, Lars, and that deal buying the collection was good too :). Well done on that and thanks for sharing your playset. It's nice the see the instruction leaflet, as my set is missing that.

Thanks mate for the kind words as always :D Thanks about the instruction leaflet :wink: I guess they are not easy to find for sale unless you buy a whole playset ? :? The box also have the POP :D I hate when the POP is missing. Did you know that the POP was missing when you bought the playset ? I once bought a vehicle where seller have not told me the POP was missing, damn I was angry :(

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Thanks mate for the kind words as always :D Thanks about the instruction leaflet :wink: I guess they are not easy to find for sale unless you buy a whole playset ? :? The box also have the POP :D I hate when the POP is missing. Did you know that the POP was missing when you bought the playset ? I once bought a vehicle where seller have not told me the POP was missing, damn I was angry :(
Yes, I knew it was missing, but I bought this set back in about 1995. Whilst it certainly didn't cost today's prices, it was however still quite a rare piece to find here in the UK back then, so I was happy to have it even without the POP :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Yes, I knew it was missing, but I bought this set back in about 1995. Whilst it certainly didn't cost today's prices, it was however still quite a rare piece to find here in the UK back then, so I was happy to have it even without the POP :)

wow, that was a long time ago, 1995 :shock: I guess you got it for a good price ? in 1995 :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom