Safe storage ideas for MOCs?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Common story, I am running out of space. I don't really want to sell anything, did that before 10 years ago and regretted it, so I need to find a way of storing some of my MOCs without it taking up the huge amount of space star cases do. It really annoys me how much space star cases waste, most of my figures have at least an inch of free space in front of the bubble, which for 150 carded figures is over 12 feet of wasted space!!!

Can anybody recommend some safe ways to store a large amount of carded figures? Back in the 90s before I knew about star cases I used to put my MOCs in sandwich bags and then store them all in cardboard boxes. This would probably do, but would like something a little more robust.

Or does anybody know of anything similar to star cases (clamshells) that are a better fit for vintage figures?

poncho

Grand Master
what about the cardboard boxs gw arylic boxes come in. ask christian im sure you could buy a bulk of cardboard boxes of him

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
That's a good idea! Maybe not those specifically but shallower cardboard boxes, they only need to be an inch deep for 99% of figures

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I'd love to know which genius thought this was the optimal size for storing figures!

71698746-969D-4CD9-B472-5C68B0F359A2.jpeg

subzero

Sith Lord
What about comic boxes?, I think boxes for classic size comics are just a bit wider and higher than MOC's so they would be an almost perfect fit stored vertically.

You could stand them up without cases in the boxes 2 MOC's at a time with the bubbles 'face to face' so you can fit more in the box, the boxes are archival safe ( acid free ) and very strong too and can be stacked up high.

comic-boxes.jpg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I think we have a winner! Found an old 11.5 x 6.5 x 3 inch box. It fits six Kenner MOCs in it comfortably, and is almost the same depth as a star cases. This should enable me to fit 72 carded figures in the same space as 20 in star cases!

CB83E0D1-C9B2-48D4-A3E5-C4C0631241C1.jpeg

_Lee_

Sith Lord
I stumbled on these the other day:

https://toschetraders.com/collections/deflector-display-cases

Havent bought any yet but its an ok idea, but im a acrylic snob for vintage but these are an idea for modern or space saving purposes.

aussiejames

Sith Lord
_Lee_ said:
I stumbled on these the other day:

https://toschetraders.com/collections/deflector-display-cases

Havent bought any yet but its an ok idea, but im a acrylic snob for vintage but these are an idea for modern or space saving purposes.

I gave these a go- look the same /similar
http://www.outerrimcases.com/
I got them to save space and use with my cardbacks with bubbles still attached.
case_10.jpg

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
Assuming you still wish to stack your figures you could always cut the whole of the front and an inch of the side off of your star cases all the way around. When you stack your figures the back of the case doubles as the front of the case below. And, assuming you have some scissors, there's no additional outlay as you've already got everything you need.

Plastikheld

Jedi Knight
There are different sizes of shipping boxes. In Germany we do have a size called "Maxibrief", which ist the highest "envelope" shipable as a letter.
I used them to store vintage cards some time ago, when I did not have the possibility to display them and Acrylic Cases used not to exist on the collector's market yet. Theres only one MOC per Box:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/100-Maxibrief-Kartons-Maxibriefkarton-L-240-x-B-160-x-H-45mm-WEISS/252407090396?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52950%26meid%3Db3d353f992bd4845af26135cf5031d6d%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D10%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D260503689362%26itm%3D252407090396&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
My only thought here is that I don't like storing carded figures facing down because of the pressure the figure is putting on the bubble over time. Ok it's probably being a bit over the top, but it's an unnecessary risk. Just my opinion. :)

Tickion

Padawan
I have a few shallow star cases that have come with MOCs over the years but I've never seen them for sale. Must be some out there...? They do save a lot of space and like Ed find the standard star cases oversized and a storage problem, so went down the acrylic route.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Found this some pictures here, walkie have them in boxes, why not try that ?

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=13667

or what about buying a factory box for the moc, I have some of mine in such a box, it works fine for me until I get more room to display them.
Here is a link to a factory box

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=21437

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Star cases years ago used to be much slimmer than they are now. Assume they reverted to a standard size to suit all the fatties?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
On the Pro Tech website they still list two sizes, but I only ever see the massive ones for sale. And to be honest even the 'small' ones are way too big for 90% of figures.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom