SWTOTW, Week 30, 2018, Part 2/2 Admiral Ackbar

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Admiral Ackbar:

ackbar.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
The good Admiral, eh Lars? OK, but there's quite a few of them!

Like many figures, Admiral Ackbar can be found with one COO variant where one or more body parts are moulded plastic with other parts painted, and also another COO variant where the reverse is true. With Ackbar, the Hong Kong COO variants have a moulded coloured plastic torso with white painted sides, plus white moulded plastic upper arms with red painted forearms. However, the Taiwan COO variants have a white moulded plastic torso with a painted front (and back), plus red moulded plastic forearms with white painted upper arms.

And it is with the Taiwan COOs that the fun begins, as over the course of his production, Kenner just couldn't decide what colour the good Admiral's torso should be painted, and hence he comes in a veritable spectrum of shades, ranging from a light yellow, through a peachy pink, all the way to a dark olive, with even an olive brown thrown in for good measure.

By contrast, whilst variants do exist with the Hong Kong COO Ackbars, they seem to be far fewer in number. I certainly don't claim to have or to know about them all by any means, so I am quite prepared (and in fact hoping!) for other Forum members to add to my knowledge of the available variants out there. So far, as far as the Hong Kong ones are concerned, I have found a dull salmon-red painted arms variant, and a bright blood-red painted arms variant, but there will doubtless be more.

And so to the gallery! From left to right here are 14 different Taiwan torso shades, plus my 2 Hong Kongs:

Admiral Torso - 01.jpg

Admiral Torso - 01a.jpg

Admiral Torso - 01b.jpg

Admiral Torso - 02.jpg

Admiral Torso - 02a.jpg

Admiral Torso - 02b.jpg

And some closer shots, starting with 4 shades of yellow:

Admiral Torso - 03.jpg

Followed by 3 shades of peach, then a light olive:

Admiral Torso - 04.jpg

Then an ever darkening set of olives:

Admiral Torso - 05.jpg

Ending with a very dark olive, an olive-brown, then my two Hong Kongs, the first with blood-red arms, and the last with salmon-red arms:

Admiral Torso - 06.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
And just for Lars, the ever so Marmite COOs :):

Admiral Torso - 11.jpg

Admiral Torso - 12.jpg

Admiral Torso - 13.jpg

Admiral Torso - 14.jpg

Admiral Torso - 15.jpg

Admiral Torso - 16.jpg

Admiral Torso - 17.jpg

Admiral Torso - 18.jpg

To the very best of my knowledge, the two main types of Ackbar staff are unique to each COO, with the fatter, smaller rings version coming with the Taiwan variants, and the thinner, larger rings version coming with the Hong Kong variants.

If the above is either not true, or not always true, please feel free to correct me, as I would genuinely like to know if I am right :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
apack7229 said:
Here's what I've got.C1F5ADED-3363-4B69-AC3A-C50881E007BE.jpeg7E928935-D031-4731-A1B1-E158A050ED1B.jpeg

and here's my Canadian.2C1A43C8-0C80-4AD9-8BFD-3D905FCB5F5F.jpeg

Wow looking great, awesome canadian cardback 8) any pictures of the admiral from behind ? :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
The good Admiral, eh Lars? OK, but there's quite a few of them!

Like many figures, Admiral Ackbar can be found with one COO variant where one or more body parts are moulded plastic with other parts painted, and also another COO variant where the reverse is true. With Ackbar, the Hong Kong COO variants have a moulded coloured plastic torso with white painted sides, plus white moulded plastic upper arms with red painted forearms. However, the Taiwan COO variants have a white moulded plastic torso with a painted front (and back), plus red moulded plastic forearms with white painted upper arms.

And it is with the Taiwan COOs that the fun begins, as over the course of his production, Kenner just couldn't decide what colour the good Admiral's torso should be painted, and hence he comes in a veritable spectrum of shades, ranging from a light yellow, through a peachy pink, all the way to a dark olive, with even an olive brown thrown in for good measure.

By contrast, whilst variants do exist with the Hong Kong COO Ackbars, they seem to be far fewer in number. I certainly don't claim to have or to know about them all by any means, so I am quite prepared (and in fact hoping!) for other Forum members to add to my knowledge of the available variants out there. So far, as far as the Hong Kong ones are concerned, I have found a dull salmon-red painted arms variant, and a bright blood-red painted arms variant, but there will doubtless be more.

And so to the gallery! From left to right here are 14 different Taiwan torso shades, plus my 2 Hong Kongs:

Admiral Torso - 01.jpg

Admiral Torso - 01a.jpg

Admiral Torso - 01b.jpg

Admiral Torso - 02.jpg

Admiral Torso - 02a.jpg

Admiral Torso - 02b.jpg
And some closer shots, starting with 4 shades of yellow:

Admiral Torso - 03.jpg
Followed by 3 shades of peach, then a light olive:

Admiral Torso - 04.jpg
Then an ever darkening set of olives:

Admiral Torso - 05.jpg
Ending with a very dark olive, an olive-brown, then my two Hong Kongs, the first with blood-red arms, and the last with salmon-red arms:

Admiral Torso - 06.jpg

Thanks mate for sharing this amazing variant collection, I agree there is so many variants of ackbar and so many colors :D thanks for all the great info and all the fantastic pictures, damn I love it :D

apack7229

Sith Lord
Pomse2001 said:
Wow looking great, awesome canadian cardback 8) any pictures of the admiral from behind ? :D

He's a little shy but here you go.

Attachments

• F7179564-44EC-4F32-92EE-B8CDE9A6C256.jpeg
    F7179564-44EC-4F32-92EE-B8CDE9A6C256.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 1,375
  • F833B568-C05C-4B26-B2EE-D08C8A695991.jpeg
    F833B568-C05C-4B26-B2EE-D08C8A695991.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 1,378
  • 6A7C1ECD-A4D8-49A9-A665-620CD46FF5EB.jpeg
    6A7C1ECD-A4D8-49A9-A665-620CD46FF5EB.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 1,380

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Mini99 said:
:shock:
That's a lot of calamari!
Thanks for sharing.

Pomse2001 said:
Thanks mate for sharing this amazing variant collection, I agree there is so many variants of ackbar and so many colors :D thanks for all the great info and all the fantastic pictures, damn I love it :D

spoons said:
Acktastic :shock:

nice collection Jeremy

Thanks everyone. I've been waiting patiently for Ackbar to put in an appearance in the Toy of the Week threads as I knew I had a few to chip in with! :)

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
To the very best of my knowledge, the two main types of Ackbar staff are unique to each COO, with the fatter, smaller rings version coming with the Taiwan variants, and the thinner, larger rings version coming with the Hong Kong variants.

If the above is either not true, or not always true, please feel free to correct me, as I would genuinely like to know if I am right :)
Jeremy, I believe that you are partially correct. The thinner staff without epm listed on TIG as v2 is indeed the HK Ackbar. From research to the best of my knowledge there are no variations in this Staff.

As for the Taiwan Ackbar there are at least 2 variations of the staff, a fat and a thin version, both with 3 epms (I believe all epm variants are from Taiwan Ackbar). Depending on what level of detail you delve into examining the staffs you will also find differences in the size of the epms and also the shape of the cross section of the staffs from circular to oval.

As you have 14 variants of the Taiwan Ackbar I imagine you will be better placed to notice these differences than me, though I think I remember you saying your eyesight wasn't what it used to be :lol:

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Here are my Ackbars. A Taiwan and a Hong Kong. I have two because I currently collect Kenner mold colour variants such as Han Solo, General Madine, Ree Yees and Admiral Ackbar.

I'm currently after Han Hoth Molded Legs and Leia Boushh dark brown Molded torso. Both quite rare Kenner variants. :wink:

Attachments

• 8D6D5C23-8A67-42EF-949D-1AB1B2A12410.jpeg
    8D6D5C23-8A67-42EF-949D-1AB1B2A12410.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,361
  • 0FFDB620-B9D0-4608-9D5F-A69B5B651A03.jpeg
    0FFDB620-B9D0-4608-9D5F-A69B5B651A03.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,358

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Here's my 65-B Ackbar, was a cool figure to have as a kid but remember struggling to get him in the MF!

image.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Mini99 said:
:shock:
That's a lot of calamari!
Thanks for sharing.

Pomse2001 said:

spoons said:
Acktastic :shock:

nice collection Jeremy

Thanks everyone. I've been waiting patiently for Ackbar to put in an appearance in the Toy of the Week threads as I knew I had a few to chip in with! :)

Your Welcome are there still some ackbar figures you are hunting ? :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Here are my Ackbars. A Taiwan and a Hong Kong. I have two because I currently collect Kenner mold colour variants such as Han Solo, General Madine, Ree Yees and Admiral Ackbar.

I'm currently after Han Hoth Molded Legs and Leia Boushh dark brown Molded torso. Both quite rare Kenner variants. :wink:

Great variant collection :D I have Han Hoth molded legs and leia dark brown molded torso and I agree quite rare, I used a lot of time to find them. I hope you find them soon :wink:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
theforceuk said:
Here's my 65-B Ackbar, was a cool figure to have as a kid but remember struggling to get him in the MF!

image.jpg

Awesome moc you have, what staff is he packed with on the moc ? :D

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
theforceuk said:

image.jpg

Awesome moc you have, what staff is he packed with on the moc ? :D

Black one I think! :? :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom