SWTOTW, Week 31, 2018, Part 1/2 Land Speeder

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Land Speeder:

Landspeeder.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
OK Lars, this is another category you didn't choose to split between the Kenner and Palitoy versions. The difference between them of course is in the box and the bonnet / hood. The Kenner version of the Land Speeder has an opening bonnet with a (frankly ugly) button at the front to operate the feature, and whilst this does add a little extra play value to the toy, it's also not something we ever saw in the film.

By contrast, the Palitoy Land Speeder does not have this opening bonnet feature, and hence has what I personally consider to be a better aesthetic, with smoother, more movie-accurate lines.

As for the boxes, well everyone is going to have a favourite, but mine will always be the Palitoy one because that's the version I had as a boy. This one isn't that particular toy, as I foolishly sold my childhood collection whilst still a child, however the Land Speeder was one of the very first Star Wars toys I ever bought, and I distinctly remember walking into Ware Toy Shop as a 6 year-old boy and asking the lady assistant if I could see the toy before buying it. She obliged, and opened it in front of my admiring eyes! I fell in love with the toy, bought it, took it home, played with it and loved it!

I'll always have a soft spot for the Palitoy Land Speeder, but in case the Kenner version is your favourite, here are both:

Pretty Bonnet - 01.jpg

Pretty Bonnet - 02.jpg

Pretty Bonnet - 03.jpg

Pretty Boring Bonnet - 01.jpg

Pretty Boring Bonnet - 02.jpg

Pretty Boring Bonnet - 03.jpg

Pretty Boring Bonnet - 04.jpg

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
The artwork on the Palitoy box is far better, but I have to say I prefer the Kenner pop-up bonnet version. I never had one as a kid but Jez's enthusiastic reenactment of storing guns in the bonnet in the New Aquisitions section of the Vintage Rebellion that time far outgunned Rich's go-faster stripe argument. I picked one up about 6 months ago and reckon it's my favourite vehicle at the moment. It really does look like it's hovering. Awesomely cool. 8)

Attachments

• 9FF5FE17-9F5D-4239-99B1-CFDF69AB5207.jpeg
    9FF5FE17-9F5D-4239-99B1-CFDF69AB5207.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,352
  • E8EF0F0F-FEC9-4004-8945-7F17897DD370.jpeg
    E8EF0F0F-FEC9-4004-8945-7F17897DD370.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 1,353
  • 56B6370B-6D5B-4EF3-9E38-3EAC5DD3D3DE.jpeg
    56B6370B-6D5B-4EF3-9E38-3EAC5DD3D3DE.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 1,353
  • 1A3D437F-A2B7-48E2-B4EA-B277B8674138.jpeg
    1A3D437F-A2B7-48E2-B4EA-B277B8674138.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 1,352

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
OK Lars, this is another category you didn't choose to split between the Kenner and Palitoy versions. The difference between them of course is in the box and the bonnet / hood. The Kenner version of the Land Speeder has an opening bonnet with a (frankly ugly) button at the front to operate the feature, and whilst this does add a little extra play value to the toy, it's also not something we ever saw in the film.

By contrast, the Palitoy Land Speeder does not have this opening bonnet feature, and hence has what I personally consider to be a better aesthetic, with smoother, more movie-accurate lines.

As for the boxes, well everyone is going to have a favourite, but mine will always be the Palitoy one because that's the version I had as a boy. This one isn't that particular toy, as I foolishly sold my childhood collection whilst still a child, however the Land Speeder was one of the very first Star Wars toys I ever bought, and I distinctly remember walking into Ware Toy Shop as a 6 year-old boy and asking the lady assistant if I could see the toy before buying it. She obliged, and opened it in front of my admiring eyes! I fell in love with the toy, bought it, took it home, played with it and loved it!

I'll always have a soft spot for the Palitoy Land Speeder, but in case the Kenner version is your favourite, here are both:

Pretty Bonnet - 01.jpg

Pretty Bonnet - 02.jpg

Pretty Bonnet - 03.jpg

Pretty Boring Bonnet - 01.jpg

Pretty Boring Bonnet - 02.jpg

Pretty Boring Bonnet - 03.jpg

Pretty Boring Bonnet - 04.jpg

Thanks mate for all the great info :D and thanks for sharing all this amazing pictures of your 2 landspeeders 8) Sorry to read that you sold your childhood collection when you were a child :( and what a great story about buying your first landspeeder, cool that she took the speeder out of the box so you could see it before buying it :shock:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
The artwork on the Palitoy box is far better, but I have to say I prefer the Kenner pop-up bonnet version. I never had one as a kid but Jez's enthusiastic reenactment of storing guns in the bonnet in the New Aquisitions section of the Vintage Rebellion that time far outgunned Rich's go-faster stripe argument. I picked one up about 6 months ago and reckon it's my favourite vehicle at the moment. It really does look like it's hovering. Awesomely cool. 8)

Thanks mate for sharing pictures of your landspeeder, it looks great and I love the pictures of the catalog and the commercial 8)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Here are some older pictures of my 2 landspeeders :D

1st the kenner landspeeder.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

2nd the kenner landspeeder collector series box.

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg
Those are both great condition boxes and speeders, Lars! Thanks for sharing your photos :)

I'm curious, do you have a Palitoy version in your vast collection, or is it one of the few items you're still looking for?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
That's a lovely example, Jay, and it's also nice to actually see a Luke sitting inside the Speeder driving it! :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg
Those are both great condition boxes and speeders, Lars! Thanks for sharing your photos :)

I'm curious, do you have a Palitoy version in your vast collection, or is it one of the few items you're still looking for?

Thanks mate for your very kind words :D No I do not have a palitoy version, but I hope that I would get one in the future :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
OK, here's something I plan to do from time to time. I recently had reason to re-photograph my Palitoy Land Speeder box and toy, and so I thought I would cover all 6 sides of the box (I do LOVE the Palitoy Star Wars boxes!) as well as fresh shots of the toy, all taken properly with flash (unlike some of my other earlier efforts), and share the results with the forum.

As and when I have a reason (or the wish!) to re-photograph other toys or boxes in more detail than I have previously therefore, I will post the results in the appropriate TOTW thread for others to enjoy/hate/ignore as they see fit :lol:

Palitoy Land Speeder - 01.jpg

Palitoy Land Speeder - 02.jpg

Palitoy Land Speeder - 03.jpg

Palitoy Land Speeder - 04.jpg

Palitoy Land Speeder - 05.jpg

Palitoy Land Speeder - 06.jpg

Palitoy Land Speeder - 07.jpg

Palitoy Land Speeder - 08.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
OK, here's something I plan to do from time to time. I recently had reason to re-photograph my Palitoy Land Speeder box and toy, and so I thought I would cover all 6 sides of the box (I do LOVE the Palitoy Star Wars boxes!) as well as fresh shots of the toy, all taken properly with flash (unlike some of my other earlier efforts), and share the results with the forum.

As and when I have a reason (or the wish!) to re-photograph other toys or boxes in more detail than I have previously therefore, I will post the results in the appropriate TOTW thread for others to enjoy/hate/ignore as they see fit :lol:

Palitoy Land Speeder - 01.jpg

Palitoy Land Speeder - 02.jpg

Palitoy Land Speeder - 03.jpg

Palitoy Land Speeder - 04.jpg

Palitoy Land Speeder - 05.jpg

Palitoy Land Speeder - 06.jpg

Palitoy Land Speeder - 07.jpg

Palitoy Land Speeder - 08.jpg

Thanks mate for the update of pictures of your beautiful box and landspeeder :D Great to see you are keeping the thread alive :lol: :wink:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Capetown said:
Mine:

Kenner

sw-Land-Speeder-anh-Kenner-010.jpg

Kenner Collectors series

sw-landspeeder-collectors-series-kenner-001.jpg

German Shrink Wrapped

w-landspeeder-anh-kenner-german-shrink-wrapped-001.jpg

Palitoy

sw-land-speeder-anh-palitoy-002.jpg

Lots of variants still to find.

Thanks mate for sharing your huge landspeeder collection :wink: I love to see the unused stickers for the landspeeder, cool that you still have them 8) What is the difference between the kenner and the german box ? :?

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Thanks mate for sharing your huge landspeeder collection :wink: I love to see the unused stickers for the landspeeder, cool that you still have them 8) What is the difference between the kenner and the german box ? :?

Thanks Lars. It's a regular Kenner box, just not sealed with tape, but shrink wrapped.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Capetown said:
Pomse2001 said:

Thanks Lars. It's a regular Kenner box, just not sealed with tape, but shrink wrapped.

ok so if you find a box that is not shrink wrapped then you can't id it as a german box ? :?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom