WATCH OUT THREAD – ANOTHER FAKE ITEM DISCOVERED

Frunkstar

Grand Master
WATCH OUT THREAD – ANOTHER FAKE ITEM DISCOVERED

I will start by saying I bought this over 6 months ago & whilst in the middle of a house move, sadly I gave it a quick glance at the time & packed it away for the move just being happy to have finally nailed down the final SW era MP for my run (foolish I know considering in retrospect), it was many many months later when settled in the new home & a display put in place it was unpacked & I looked closer & noticed some very worrying discrepancies compared to known confirmed authentic examples, so before panicking I first I reached out to some other MP collectors to ask opinions who confirmed they were not familiar with this "pink text version".

Item in question – star wars 2 pack red Snaggletooth / Greedo (Red Text) #1 No.38331-49-59412, this is the pack below -

Please note all information pertaining to the images in question can be found BELOW the image.

IMGP0628.JPG
On close inspection of the item it became evident to me it had what I would regard as multiple red flags ( text colour / text bleed out / box material / box construction / baggies seals etc) all these differences will be outlined in detail below with corresponding images.

Due to my concerns I contacted the seller & informed them I would be sending it to UKG for inspection alongside a known authentic example that has been graded & is in fact a QC sign off, so we know 100% it is authentic.

IMGP0612.JPG
Here is an image of the 2 side by side, my concerns about the packs authenticity were confirmed by UKG on delivery of the grade report below -

36283323_2106000249427391_8172305338075185152_o.jpg

36306959_2106000309427385_2111110952949645312_o.jpg

36318895_2106000286094054_5220330236285026304_o.jpg
At this time I contacted the seller of the pack & shared UKG's report with them in hopes of a refund, sadly the seller said time had passed & actually told me "buyer beware" & they were not willing to entertain a refund under any circumstances regardless of the packs authenticity, now up until this point I had regarded the seller a fair & unbiased collector & a friend, at this point I'm not going to name the seller, but would like feedback from collectors on what would be expected from a seller under these circumstances, I will add this is a high ticket item coming in at 750GBP + fee's + postage + the report costs &&&

The baggies are also as stated fakes, the seals do not conform to other know examples - I own several & have cross checked them against the ones from the other graded pack that was submitted along side this one, luckily a fellow collector was very kind in sending me his to have opened & checked for the purpose of comparison.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
COMPARISONS & REASONING

Some side by sides shots showing the construction / box other material, note the smooth white finish to the suspect pack VS the off white of the authentic & gaining within the outer sleeve on the authentic which is not present on the suspect pack, all known authentic examples that have been looked at by multiple collectors all have the gaining/particulates within the outer.

IMGP0613.JPG
Suspect to the left

IMGP0614.JPG
suspect to the left

IMGP0615.JPG
suspect to the left

IMGP0616.JPG
suspect on the bottom

IMGP0617.JPG
suspect at the bottom

IMGP0618.JPG
suspect at the bottom

IMGP0619.JPG
authentic inner

IMGP0620.JPG

authentic VS suspect overlay, suspect pack is above / authentic underneath, note the miss cut on the suspect which is highly doubtful to have been cut/pressed at point of production for kenner IMO

same as above highlighting the miss cut
IMGP0620 - Copy.JPG
IMGP0631.JPG
suspect at bottom, note the difference in colour of the cardboards.

It is worthy of note that a smell test was done, the suspect pack smells like cardboard & has no signs of mustiness / age you would associate with a 30++ year old piece of cardbaord, though this was just done out of interest & obviously is not something I can show online through images.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
CARDBOARD MAKEUP & BOX OUTER CLOSE UP's & WEIGHT COMPARISONS

IMGP0622.JPG

IMGP0634.JPG

IMGP0635.JPG

IMGP0636.JPG
The above 4 images try to show the difference in the actual cardboard type used in the construction of the 2 boxes, the thinner one is the known authentic, which shows some signs of wear from the years

IMGP0634.JPG
this one highlights some tearing on the close up's showing this has likely been hand cut rather than factory pressed, it is a close up of the suspect pack, with again the genuine below, devoid of any such imperfections.

IMGP0624.JPG

IMGP0625.JPG
The above shows the authentic pack being weighed on some accurate scales which read to 0.01g

IMGP0626.JPG

IMGP0627.JPG
this shows the suspect again being weighed on the same scales with a considerable difference in weight, note that even though the authentic would appear to be made of a thinner construct of cardboard is weight is significantly more.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
FURTHER COMPARISONS

red cantina - Copy.jpg
This is the gaining / particulates within the outer sleeve of the authentic pack which seem to be found on all authentic packs checked, these are not evident on the suspect packs which have a plain white finish.

IMGP0629.JPG

IMGP0629 - Copy.JPG
Known authentic font colour shots - solid red / straight edges, no bleed out

IMGP0628.JPG

IMGP0628 - Copy.JPG
suspect pack - pink / lots of bleed out not straight edged, also note the filled in A etc due to the amount of bleed out of the ink.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

IMGP0628 - Copy.JPG

IMGP0629 - Copy.JPG
suspect above / authentic below

lastly the 2 fonts shown in close proximity to show just how much they differ both in colour & print / bleed etc, these super close images also really do illustrate the difference in texture of the 2 box ousters, with the authentic looking quite rough / textured up close

I am not posting pictures of the baggies as it is near impossible to pick out the patterning within the heat seals on a photo, but under magnification is is clear the heat seals do not match known authentic examples.

Cardbackkid

Jedi Master
It really is endless with all these fakes about ... such a shame , sorry to hear yet again that you have been stung .

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
So sorry to read that you have bought an expensive fake item, it really is becoming very worrying buying SW collectables!
Many thanks for posting another great piece of detective work so others can benefit from it and use it to determine the authenticity of future purchases , you should be commended.
What with Laurence's revelations this is two big scandals in as many weeks, shocking!
Do you know the original source of this item or is it a piece that has gone through many hands over the years?
Again many thanks for the time and effort that you have put in the expose this.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
This is very sad to see mate, very worrying indeed for collectors and potential collectors of baggies and MP s.
Can't believe you've been stung again bud, and the caveat emptor being thrown at you. Hopefully the right and decent thing will happen, as others have said, thank you for highlighting for others and going to the lengths you have, looking out for fellow collectors.

slim

Sith Lord
Guys , I have got the bug back " thanks laurence " and have been collecting 2 weeks now and I have to say I am sickened to death by all these fakes , time to name and shame these people !!

R2lover

Unfortunately for the seller, the financial responsibility should always be passed back down the line as far as possible. In reality though, this rarely happens. Sorry to hear this Frank.

momike

Jedi Master
You thinking this pack is not right is one thing but it seems you did the correct thing here in seeking a second opinion, imo that most definitely is grounds for a no questions refund just on the baggies being rejected alone, the buyer beware comment is very worrying and not the gentlemen like attitude I have come to know and admire in my years collecting, sadly it's a more and more common occurance these days as is the repro/fake rubbish :cry:

subzero

Sith Lord
Whoever faked this it seems they've directly copied the text either from scanning an original or from a photo, because all the 'waviness' on the words on each box exactly matches.

Sorry to hear the news about this.

spoons

Grand Master
Sorry to read this Frank, I hope you aren't losing heart with baggie collecting there are some good guys out there. Your work in exposing all these fakes is really appreciated.

slim said:
Who is making this stuff ?

There does seem to be a common source reading Laurence's recent post and Frank's past posts but I'm sure there are other sources out there too.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Well I am glad I am not the only one to consider a refund is in order under the circumstances, I regarded this person as a decent sort & good fellow collecting buddy till this point, I even recently just valued & authenticated his entire baggie collection via email for him, many of which were confirmed to be of the fake type confirmed to have been coming from Reading (Jeff).

I will start by by saying every single one of these pink text packs I have seen all seemingly trace back to one place, all in the UK with not a single one being discovered stateside where they would have been issued, most have been sold behind closed doors in direct sales or via a stall at the Farthest From event, I actually have a picture on file saved from the baggie investigation showing the person who sold this to me & the person they bought it from (confirmed by the seller), the pic is also IMO very worrying as it shows not 1 but 2 of these rare packs on the sales table, I had not really noticed through the baggie investigation & only later when investigating these packs & looking over old images did I notice it after zooming in, I am not sure it would be fair to share the full image on the net, but here is a cropped section of it & a blow up of the packs in question -

15401041_10153961882486372_6980085082553923634_n - Copy (2).jpg

& below a blow up as best I can of the 2 packs on the stall which from what I can make out are both these red text 2 packs -

15401041_10153961882486372_6980085082553923634_n - Copy - Copy.jpg

The seller in question is a member of the forum (Marc Hockley) & the pack he later confirmed when questioned via facebook message is from Jeff Glanville.

I suppose it should not really have come as much of a shock considering the history, but if I get nothing back I so be it, that I have sort of accepted, what I will not & can not accept is further dilution of the hobby I love with these dam fake items, though obviously a refund would be the done thing IMO.

If Jeff has had so many of these pink text versions for sale, then where are they coming from?? with not a single confirmed one stateside, same as the recent woolworths 8 packs Laurence posted about - no known examples can be traced back & no examples of images can be found of that type dating back further than a few years, so I again ask -

WHERE ARE ALL THESE ITEMS COMING FROM?? Jeff you NEED to divulge where they are coming from as otherwise the evidence is pretty damming & mounting.

Marc - I urge you to do the right thing & make good on a full refund.

Everyone else - I urge you to be on your guard when buying items

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
Yet more Damning proof of the pond life Mr Glanville and the fraudulent activities he is involved with! Not only does this stuff rip off unsuspecting collectors of their hard earned money, but it causes all sorts of heartache for those concerned and potentially killing off the collectors market. Frank I hope that Mr Hockley does the decent thing and refund you your money and that he then in turn will take this back to Jeff!

Planetdom

This is very alarming as I would regard Frank as the person to go to about baggies as he has so much knowledge on them, for him to have the wool pulled over his eyes is very worrying, baggies was something I wanted to get into but after a recent Fake Baggie Alert and now this I'm not sure what to do, this has a damaging effect on the Star Wars Community, Frank has had the items checked out and found that his suspicions of them being Repro where right, In any business if an item has been sold and not fit for purpose then the seller should refund the money in good faith......

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom