Header image

WATCH OUT THREAD – ANOTHER FAKE ITEM DISCOVERED

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
slim
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: WATCH OUT THREAD – ANOTHER FAKE ITEM DISCOVERED

Postby slim » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:45 pm

Who is making this stuff ?
The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion !

spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby spoons » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:21 pm

Sorry to read this Frank, I hope you aren't losing heart with baggie collecting there are some good guys out there. Your work in exposing all these fakes is really appreciated.

slim wrote:Who is making this stuff ?

There does seem to be a common source reading Laurence's recent post and Frank's past posts but I'm sure there are other sources out there too.
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:02 pm

Well I am glad I am not the only one to consider a refund is in order under the circumstances, I regarded this person as a decent sort & good fellow collecting buddy till this point, I even recently just valued & authenticated his entire baggie collection via email for him, many of which were confirmed to be of the fake type confirmed to have been coming from Reading (Jeff).

I will start by by saying every single one of these pink text packs I have seen all seemingly trace back to one place, all in the UK with not a single one being discovered stateside where they would have been issued, most have been sold behind closed doors in direct sales or via a stall at the Farthest From event, I actually have a picture on file saved from the baggie investigation showing the person who sold this to me & the person they bought it from (confirmed by the seller), the pic is also IMO very worrying as it shows not 1 but 2 of these rare packs on the sales table, I had not really noticed through the baggie investigation & only later when investigating these packs & looking over old images did I notice it after zooming in, I am not sure it would be fair to share the full image on the net, but here is a cropped section of it & a blow up of the packs in question -

15401041_10153961882486372_6980085082553923634_n - Copy (2).jpg
15401041_10153961882486372_6980085082553923634_n - Copy (2).jpg (184.03 KiB) Viewed 356 times

& below a blow up as best I can of the 2 packs on the stall which from what I can make out are both these red text 2 packs -

15401041_10153961882486372_6980085082553923634_n - Copy - Copy.jpg
15401041_10153961882486372_6980085082553923634_n - Copy - Copy.jpg (16.91 KiB) Viewed 356 times

The seller in question is a member of the forum (Marc Hockley) & the pack he later confirmed when questioned via facebook message is from Jeff Glanville.

I suppose it should not really have come as much of a shock considering the history, but if I get nothing back I so be it, that I have sort of accepted, what I will not & can not accept is further dilution of the hobby I love with these dam fake items, though obviously a refund would be the done thing IMO.

If Jeff has had so many of these pink text versions for sale, then where are they coming from?? with not a single confirmed one stateside, same as the recent woolworths 8 packs Laurence posted about - no known examples can be traced back & no examples of images can be found of that type dating back further than a few years, so I again ask -

WHERE ARE ALL THESE ITEMS COMING FROM?? Jeff you NEED to divulge where they are coming from as otherwise the evidence is pretty damming & mounting.

Marc - I urge you to do the right thing & make good on a full refund.

Everyone else - I urge you to be on your guard when buying items
If there's a bright spark to the center of the galaxy, we're on the planet it's furthest from.

Bunglebubs
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Bunglebubs » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:01 am

Yet more Damning proof of the pond life Mr Glanville and the fraudulent activities he is involved with! Not only does this stuff rip off unsuspecting collectors of their hard earned money, but it causes all sorts of heartache for those concerned and potentially killing off the collectors market. Frank I hope that Mr Hockley does the decent thing and refund you your money and that he then in turn will take this back to Jeff!
There is no spoon!

Planetdom
New User
New User

Postby Planetdom » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:43 pm

This is very alarming as I would regard Frank as the person to go to about baggies as he has so much knowledge on them, for him to have the wool pulled over his eyes is very worrying, baggies was something I wanted to get into but after a recent Fake Baggie Alert and now this I'm not sure what to do, this has a damaging effect on the Star Wars Community, Frank has had the items checked out and found that his suspicions of them being Repro where right, In any business if an item has been sold and not fit for purpose then the seller should refund the money in good faith......

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:57 am

Thanks frank for the warning and it is great to see you back on the forum :wink:

As always this fake stuff is very alarming :(

peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby peekaygee73 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:55 pm

As others have said I'm really sorry to see you've been stung with something again Frank. Huge respect on the investigative work and calling it out - I know baggiegate kicked off a shitstorm for you - so I really hope this gets sorted out in your favour.

Also, as others have said, it's great to see you post on here again.

Ruby2511
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Ruby2511 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:10 pm

Ouch !!!!

Sorry to hear of this, hope justice is served to these twats, the experience like yours makes collectors very vary when parting with large sums of well earned cash as you just dont know if your getting legit vintage items or knock offs.

Thank you for sharing with the other members and again, sorry to hear of your bad experience.

Thankfully the good guys outweigh the bad guys, its always good to name and shame the pond life responsible for churning this crap out.
Russ

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

Lindo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Lindo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:25 pm

To me it's more alarming that this stuff is getting sold at places like farthest from, you would not expect to buy fakes from a place like that, surely the sellers must be concerned about being rumbled and confronted at such events
Looking for POTF moc's pm me if you have any for sale

SublevelStudios
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby SublevelStudios » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:48 pm

Lindo wrote:To me it's more alarming that this stuff is getting sold at places like farthest from, you would not expect to buy fakes from a place like that, surely the sellers must be concerned about being rumbled and confronted at such events

Spot on.

Events like FF and Echo Live should really be considered safe havens when it comes to the sale of fakes.

Stubbs
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Stubbs » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:51 pm

Lindo wrote:To me it's more alarming that this stuff is getting sold at places like farthest from, you would not expect to buy fakes from a place like that, surely the sellers must be concerned about being rumbled and confronted at such events

I would have thought the same after this thing broke with the baggie gate around January 2017 to my knowledge and the evidence has been mounting since then with more people coming forward with these fakes being extremely disappointed to find them to be repro knock ups.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:59 pm

SublevelStudios wrote:

Spot on.

Events like FF and Echo Live should really be considered safe havens when it comes to the sale of fakes.

Totally agree, worrying indeed if this is happening at FF to very experienced collectors.

laurencedyer
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby laurencedyer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:32 am

Mini99 wrote:
SublevelStudios wrote:

Spot on.

Totally agree, worrying indeed if this is happening at FF to very experienced collectors.

Is there a reason these Item's along with the Woolies pack's were allowed to be sold at FF even after the baggie outing post?

It's as if he was encouraged to do it. Wierd in my opinion. Just my opinion but probably accepted by the rest of the community :cry:

Edd, have you not argued this point many time's with the host of the event?

momike
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby momike » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:26 am

I remember having a group chat with Dave tree about Jeff selling at ff over some comments I made on Facebook last year, his argument was that Jeff should be able to sell at the event so he could make money that he could refund to people he had sold fakes to (he tells people he has payed everyone back but he hasn’t) and that was best plan of action as he/we didn’t want him going the way of toytoni or bill Rodgers and going underground and not refunding money’s owed. I remember saying that was a fair point but I didn’t think under the circumstances that it was much to ask that Jeff not be able to sell bagged items at the event and was very disappointed that Dave tree didn’t even take it on board during the chat we had, if memory serves me right he didn’t even reply to that suggestion or even acknowledge it which I thought was really poor form on his part tbh......I’m pretty sure I saw a picture of one of those woolies packs that are under the spotlight at the minute on jeffs stall as well as mailers and an EB kit :(

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:39 am

Yes I also voiced my concerns to Dave back at the time of the outing & made it clear I did not think Jeff should be welcomed at FF or other events let alone be allowed to trade at them, as mentioned above he was still allowed but we were assured he would not be allowed to sell baggies or baggie related items, yet I have seen he has still been selling woolies packs mailers & multi packs at the event which are obviously all baggie related which to me is shocking, it is not just still going on but that seemingly for the most part also generally being accepted :?

I spoke with the organizers of Echo Base live directly & was assured Jeff would not be allowed to trade at their even EVER, so at least there's a win there.

I was also told by Marc Hockley that Jeff had informed him everyone had been refunded on the individual fake baggies, but I know for a FACT that this is not the case, I tried at the time to make Marc aware of that but he was not really listening & convinced Jeff was being 100% truthful, that really should have made me think twice, but as with most I took Marc to be a decent guy & maybe just to nice for his own good & a little blinded by the Jeff is "a nice guy" argument, what with Marc doing a lot of good within other areas of the hobby.

TBH I have been pretty shocked & disgusted by his refusal to refund & make good on this item, it's just not the done thing, if I sell anything it comes with a no questions asked refund/replace policy if the buyer is not happy if there is an issue with the item, let alone if the item is found to be fake or not gradable.

I bought some baggies from a seller stateside back in 2014 & last year (during the baggie investigation) I discovered multiple ones were indeed fake, very convincing fakes till I looked them over in very close detail & made the discovery, that had been a 3 year ++ period & the guy refunded in full without question soon as I let them know about the issue, no 2 week cut off time to be entitles to a refund like Jeff told everyone on here, I know there are still many out there who are owed a refund from Jeff, be that a long term ongoing supposed payment plan on huge chunks or those who did not know till well after the "refund cut off date"
If there's a bright spark to the center of the galaxy, we're on the planet it's furthest from.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”