Should grading companies archive/case reproductions?

Should grading companies archive/case reproductions?

• No - repros should not be acknowledged by grading companies

Votes: 62 91.2%
  • Yes - better for fakes to be labelled than not

Votes: 6 8.8%

• Total voters

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
As you may have seen, this has been a hot topic on Facebook today after it emerged CAS have 'archived' (not graded) several reproduction MOCs. The labels in the cases state that the card and bubble are reproductions, they do not mention if the figures are genuine or not (one of which was a vinyl caped Jawa!)

What do you think, do the grading company have a point that these things should be labelled as repro, or was this a bad decision? The vote is surprisingly close on Facebook, roughly 60/40 in favour of not archiving them so far.

lejackal

Grand Master
They should not case them at all.
Also I think the vote is so close on Facebook because their question is shod they label them as repro, yes or no, somewhat implies that they will case them regardless

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
This really has set FB alight today, and rightly so.

I agree with Carl, the question on the FB vote was worded very strangely and lead to some confusion I'm sure.

If grading companies are now going to go down this route it will open the floodgates to all sorts of issues.

Lets hope CAS realise it was a dreadful mistake and rectify it immediately.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
They will mark, and it will be spun that they are such a great company because they listen to the community and make these changes etc etc.

But they thought it was a good idea in the first place......

Nick_IoW

Sith Lord
I'm pretty disappointed to be honest. At some point they sat down to discuss it, quite obviously knew what the backlash would be against this - and just went ahead with it anyway.

The fact they gave no indication as to whether the figure inside was fake or not must surely be an oversight.

The poor wording on their poll was surely intentional. It was claimed only being able to use X amount of characters caused this, which is claptrap. Doesn't require many characters to say "Yes Fakes" and "No Fakes".

For the people who are saying "it's better to help identify fakes" - thats also shite. You can just take items out of the case. It does nothing to protect anyone or anything. And the fact the figure isn't mention on the label, as I mentioned, is truly awful. Summed up by the guy selling the CAS VCJ on repro card/bubble - with no indication as to whether or not the VCJ is fake (it is fake btw, but not mentioned) - thereby allowing the owner to pass it off as REAL - due the label not disclosing the figure (cape) as fake.

They've championed morality - this move is quite the opposite. Maybe they had good intentions. Maybe they sat down and discussed new ways of bringing in revenue as a business and they somehow thought this would be a cool way of helping the community - but I think they got this wrong, it's really not ptotecting anything. But in any event, and no matter what the intentions towards the community are, it was driven by $$$. I don't think anyone would begrudge them trying to increase revenue or expand - but I don't think this way is healthy for the community and therefore not healthy for them as a business.

Some of those that have supported the move by CAS to case up repro items have used the same turgid arguments that Orme uses for his reproduction boxes - "they're labelled as reproductions so its ok". Almost all of those that say this is a good move would no doubt give Orme **** over his ghastly repro boxes. I can't help by think this is hipocritical bullshit.

I'm not going to start shouting "i'm never using CAS!" cos I simply don't use grading companies anyway - some people love grading, and that's cool - it has it's place. So I don't really fit into their consumer base. It generally comes down to what their actual customer base, and potential future customers want.

I think the lads over at CAS are, for the most part, decent chaps - I don't know them. I am sure they will look into things, and sort out what they could have done better - and come to a conclusion over all this. My opinion is they should scrap it - but it's laregly down to them and what they feel is in their best interests now they have a better idea of the communities opinions. No doubt they have a lot of peoples opinions to sort through given the amount on FB lol.

tl;dr - **** idea.

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
This is the first I have heard of this and I am 100% against anything repro and I think this will only encourage it and make it worse.

If people want to buy it so it looks nice for them then each to there own you can stop that.

But as for grading if they allow this I can only see it being a money maker for the graders more product going out the door ECT

This will start making repro more acceptable

I am against it.

finestcomics

Padawan
I posted this on my FB wall yesterday, late evening (early AM for you guys) after a FB friend shared these images wtih me privately, as well as a link to the Mercari listing for the Vader. To my surprise there were a total of 5 listings - one for a Vader, FX-7, Han Solo, VCJ and Chewbacca. I was truly dumbfounded by what I was seeing. A label, describing the original year and maker of something that had been remarked as reproduction, and for all we know, could have been made the day before they were sent in for grading. No way I can see a recard meriting a label, much less an "Archive" designation for these reasons.

Worse was the whole angle of monetizing something that most of us feel should be destroyed. Even more incredulous is that the very people who have been screaming from rooftops for years, writing blogs, posting banners against repro, are seemingly either turning a blind eye to this, or are suggesting CAS is some protector of the hobby now?

I will fade to the background after this post, but I just wanted to provide context on what I consider a very bad idea. Furthermore, as I had posted this on my FB wall with the intention of sharing this only with "friends", I was approched by a long-time collector, a person I respect and consider one of the hobby's pillars and stewards, asking me to post it publicly. Against my better judgement not to be involved in any hobby drama, I did out of respect for this individual. Despite the attempts to deligitimize what I shared as something akin to having an axe to grind with one or more of the CAS partners, and/or CAS themselves, I want to make it clear I only decided to post it publcly because I was asked to by someone I respect, and in an attempt to create awareness around what I think is one of the worst hobby ideas ever. I'll leave it to the communities such as yours to decide what is best here.

wrighty

Sith Lord
What's with the stupid poll, it's almost like asking for us to decided because they don't have the balls to do it themselves! CAS just had to admit it was a PR error and will not do it again, end of and everyone goes back to their everyday business. Instead they decide to run a poll to legitimise the action!! Sigh sigh sigh!!

finestcomics said:
I posted this on my FB wall yesterday, late evening (early AM for you guys) after a FB friend shared these images wtih me privately, as well as a link to the Mercari listing for the Vader. To my surprise there were a total of 5 listings - one for a Vader, FX-7, Han Solo, VCJ and Chewbacca. I was truly dumbfounded by what I was seeing. A label, describing the original year and maker of something that had been remarked as reproduction. Worse was the whole angle of monetizing something that most of us feel should be destroyed. Even more incredulous is that the very people who have been screaming from rooftops for years, writing blogs, posting banners against repro, are seemingly either turning a blind eye to this, or are suggesting CAS is some protector of the hobby now?

I will fade to the background after this post, but I just wanted to provide context on what I consider a very bad idea. Furthermore, as I had posted this on my FB wall with the intention of sharing this only with "friends", I was approched by a long-time collector, a person I respect and consider one of the hobby's pillars and stewards, asking me to post it publicly. Against my better judgement not to be involved in any hobby drama, I did out of respect for this individual. Despite the attempts to deligitimize what I shared as something akin to having an axe to grind with one or more of the CAS partners, and/or CAS themselves, I want to make it clear I only decided to post it publcly because I was asked to by someone I respect, and in an attemp to create awareness around what I think is one of the worst hobby ideas ever.

Darkest_Logic

Jedi Knight
Personally I think they should not be.

I think they only label them because someone has paid for their item to be graded.

I think that the item should be returned to the sender with a letter given reason why the item was not graded.

lejackal

Grand Master
On the subject of casing without labels

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180821-192526.png
    Screenshot_20180821-192526.png
    31 KB · Views: 1,599

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Well, grading exists for one reason, and one reason only; to make graders money. This would seem to be another blatant money grab from a previously untapped source. It shouldn't really surprise anyone, I suppose.

However, I do have to wonder at the thought-process of someone who pays to have their reproduction item 'archived'. Yes, all MOCs look good in perspex cases, so if repro shite is your thing, why not buy some GW cases and display them in those? Paying someone else to seal a reproduction MOC in an archival case is insane. It's like having your Rover 100 serviced at a Ferrari dealership simply because you painted it red and stuck a picture of a horse on the front of it.

If these people have that much cash they're desperate to part with, I have some magic beans I can sell them :roll:

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
I've noticed a few normally loud mouthed collectors who support CAS and those involved are conspicuous by their silence today, save for a few wise cracks early doors.

wrighty

Sith Lord
Dannywhiteley said:
I've noticed a few normally loud mouthed collectors who support CAS and those involved are conspicuous by their silence today, save for a few wise cracks early doors.

No they are still there depending on which thread you read especially on the CAS page!!

Robstyley

Sith Lord
NO! If some knobsack wants to pay to have a repro Moc cased in acrylic more fool them but if the company starts putting labels on them it's just a pointless act that will further increase prices and only weaken the validity of an already dubious service. I hate grading anyway, this is just cringeworthy. What happened to "say no to repro"? What's the difference between a fake bubble or card and a fake accessory? Nothing.

spoons

Grand Master
Dannywhiteley said:

you'll find at least one firmly wedged up Ross's ring piece :lol: (sorry Ross)

My opinion is that this is absolute madness from CAS, but this isn't the first unpopular move from the two behind the scenes (box flats any one) and no doubt this is purely a business decision with little thought of what it will do to the collecting community.

A market for authentic looking repros will lead to more repros being made and cased and sold on at a profit. Totally agree that adding 12A or whatever legitimises them and is misleading. Whatever the result of the vote this wont have done CAS's business any good, even if there is a 'we listened to the people' end result

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
Well, grading exists for one reason, and one reason only; to make graders money. This would seem to be another blatant money grab from a previously untapped source. It shouldn't really surprise anyone, I suppose.

However, I do have to wonder at the thought-process of someone who pays to have their reproduction item 'archived'. Yes, all MOCs look good in perspex cases, so if repro shite is your thing, why not buy some GW cases and display them in those? Paying someone else to seal a reproduction MOC in an archival case is insane. It's like having your Rover 100 serviced at a Ferrari dealership simply because you painted it red and stuck a picture of a horse on the front of it.

If these people have that much cash they're desperate to part with, I have some magic beans I can sell them :roll:
I can't see a situation where an honest collector who has sent his item in for grading and learns it is reproduction, would want it returned with a big reproduction sticker on it. If it was loose they would want it returned in order to hunt down the original weapon and not have it encased in a tomb. If it was a MOC they would want to strip it of its fake surround and display the original figure (if its accessories were indeed original), or to contact the original seller and return it in the same condition to get a refund.

In addition if I was a real bonafide, honest collector and couldn't afford a real figure or MOC, and bought a reproduction one in its place deliberately, I wouldn't send it in to be graded... I couldn't be doing with the extra costs of shipping and grading... if I liked acrylic I would just buy a GW Acrylic case.

The only people who would be using this service and benefiting from those labels in their current form, would be those looking to deliberately deceive, and then the reproduction label would not deter them as they could just smash it open.

Clearly if CAS started marking them much more clearly it would probably deter the scammers but that just proves that the only people that stand to profit here are the grading companies who get more money from an unnecessary market, at the detriment of the honest collectors who have to wait even longer for their items to be graded.

Oh and the Repro market that benefits from a rise in prices (like we've seen with Toy Toni's and Darren Orme's replicator boxes) from the increased presence and partial legitimisation of reproductions.

Top Bottom