Header image

So are all collectors the same?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
_Lee_
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

So are all collectors the same?

Postby _Lee_ » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:49 pm

Ive been thinking about this for a bit, and it really does make a good point of discussion. In my past I have come across certain collectors who look down upon others for collecting on a budget. I remember someone saying to me a good few years back that someone he knew had stated that he wasn't a 'proper' Palitoy collector because he didn't have a set of the first 12 sealed. A very harsh judgement to make I thought, but also one that I would think very few would agree with.

As of late ive started to build a Palitoy 12 back reseal collection, and have also started to rebuild ESB logo'd cards with bubble/ nameplate removal damage and its been so enjoyable. I have loads of cardbacks that I have repaired that have old shop price stickers on and although you can definitely see the repair it still gives that same buzz as another sealed one. My aim is to build a Palitoy collection whilst enjoying the time taken to restore them in any way I can.

Can I afford the sealed ones? yes I probably could afford them if I saved but to be honest im enjoying this better. Ive been there ,done it and owned almost everything at one point or another but an unopened item to me is the same as a reseal nowadays - in my OWN collection though, I am not insinuating im into repros. We are talking about a difference in price of hundreds, if not thousands on sealed ones. Is a piece of plastic or tape really worth that?

So basically, does it make you anyless of a collector than the next when you collect this way?
Vintage toys ,prop and autograph collector and Luton Town FC supporter.
Also try to play guitar with the guy in my avatar as an inspiration!
JASON BECKER STILL THE BEST EVER AND STILL HERE DESPITE A.L.S.

mr_palitoy
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: So are all collectors the same?

Postby mr_palitoy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:13 pm

Not at all. Money shouldnt be a barrier to enjoying vintage star wars collecting.
Lots of people doing reseal runs now (Mark Daniels has lovely set of the first 12) and there are many more cardback collectors now than there used to be.
I stopped my own Palioty MOC run after the first 12/second 8, and even then, 10 years ago, I thought they were expensive.
I have over 450 unique Palitoy cardbacks now and lots of foreign ones too. Am priced out a lot of the foreign cards I need now too.

Anyone who says you arent a real collector doesnt understand the nature of what being a collector is all about.

:-)

Jason
Many Bothans died to bring us this information...

Want Palitoy ESB 45A Back (Blue Circle Offer) 2-1B MOC and Palitoy ESB 30B cardbacks for first 12 figures

Mr Palitoy's Cardback Guide
http://www.freewebs.com/mrpalitoy

Stubbs
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Stubbs » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:23 pm

I think there are obviously low end collectors and high end collectors. Everyone collect's for there own personal reason's but i do believe there are people in the hobbie who do look down on certain collectors because they don't have a certain run or certain budget's because unfortunately some people are like that in all walks of life wherever its a car a house or holiday. But they do appear to be a small minority.

I just collect the items i have a connection with and that make me happy also what i can afford. I would much rather see in the latest acquisitions someone finally getting there yak face to complete there loose run or a sticker for there sticker book or a comic to complete a run. It would make a nice change from moc after moc after moc.

That is just my opinion.

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:02 pm

I don't understand 'your not a proper collector'. If your human and actively collect something then your a collector. I just see myself as a 6 year old still trying to collect all the figures on the back of the card. I've met loads of people down the years that have said you should buy and sell them to make money and I've thought about it some times. I reckon I would have a much better collection if I did, but I enjoy the hobby so much just spending my spare cash I'm scared of changing anything.

I don't feel like a proper collector because I don't have a VC Jawa. :lol:
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

TK-7785
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby TK-7785 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:21 pm

I think if you aren't collecting by your own standards and for your own reasons then you're doing it for the wrong reasons. I can well imagine the guy who claims one collector isn't a "real collector" for any reason is also doing it for the wrong reasons and should probably check his/her ego, attitude etc at the door.

It's an interesting point though and I'd been thinking something along these lines recently too. When I got back into collecting vintage a few years back my plan was to improve upon and finish off my loose collection that had been stored away for several years. Not long after when the passion for collecting had been properly reignited, and the loose collection was nearing completion, I started looking at other avenues.

I'd told myself that I wasn't going to start down the MOC route as the prices for a lot of them were so much higher than I remember them being a decade or so earlier. That didn't last long and after I picked up a gateway MOC, a Klaatu, I was off. So then I told myself I'd just do a run of one of every figure on a movie appropriate Kenner card.

Probably halfway through that, when many of the holes left would need to be filled with ~£300+ per MOC examples (for those in better than average condition), I started to ask myself my reasons for collecting that particular run and did I really want to spend that kind of money just to have that set. Sure, I could afford to do it over time, but it didn't truly represent the areas that evoked the most nostalgia for cardbacks and types, ie Trilogo, Kenner etc. I hadn't been interested in anything other than Kenner cards until then as I wanted uniformity to the run.

But then it occurred to me that the later Jedi stuff, the last waves of carded figures in Trilogo, Palitoy and Kenner cards, the stuff I remember seeing on clearance and at markets in the late 80s really strikes the biggest chord with me. And to be quite honest I've always thought the figures from Jedi were the best in terms of accuracy, detail etc. And, yes, I have the most fondness for the Jedi line as it's what I had the most of as a kid and I'm pretty sure it was the first of the films I saw of the trilogy, having been born right at the tail end of the trilogy's release.

So in other words, I changed my collecting habits to not only reflect the area that I have the most nostalgia for, but also to not concern myself with what some might consider to be a "complete" and "correct" collection. So what if my MOC collection has none of the first 12 or 21 figures on debut cardbacks. I have a bunch of MOC variants of my favourite Jedi figures and growing couple of focuses in areas that I feel most passionately about. And it also has the bonus of meaning it's easier to avoid any of the dick comparing, "AFA gold" congratulating Facebook limelighting that seems to prevalent these days.

Much like most things in life I like what we aren't all the same in our collecting habits. Cause it makes for a more interesting hobby and it means I can collect Ewok variants without too much competition. :lol: Any collector who talks down to another collector who chooses not to collect certain high end items, or is on a budget, is a fucking dick and can go do one.

*steps off soapbox
WANTED:
Rebel Commando focus items - MOCs, Baggies... http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37721
ROTJ Store Display Items

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:09 pm

I'm totally with you Lee on the enjoyment of putting back together damaged items and making them whole. Years ago I decided to sell all my Kenner 12 back mocs and focus on a resealed Palitoy set and I get so much more back from those than the sealed Kenner mocs ever gave me.

It's each to their own with collecting and as has been said it does feel like you're collecting for the wrong reasons if it's not for yourself. I can see why some people might turn their noses up at some other collectors collections but seems a bit shortsighted to think the only way of collecting something is the way you do it, it's completely up to the individual. Even though the thought of having a sealed Palitoy 12 back run is appealing in one way I think the stress of tying all that money up in something like this would out way the enjoyment I would get from having them so I'm happy as I am. That's just my personal feelings on this and I know everyone feels differently so it's up to the collector to decide what they're happy with.

If people want to put others collections down then I know that's the sort of person that I don't really have much in common with. For me it's about collecting what I like, seeing others collections and getting to know people along the way, what more can you really ask for from this hobby of ours.

Ian

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:56 pm

I am definitely a budget collector and agree totally Lee, in regard to making whole again something that was not whole before, saving vintage pieces.
Human nature as always will dictate the actions of others, who may look down on those that collect on a budget and set elitist parameters for collecting, if they are comfortable with that then that's up to them, but it would not ever sway me in any way.
I collect what makes me happy and makes me smile, and that means putting together my collection on a budget and displaying for me.
Case in point..... bubble and card, bubble fully attached left hand side purchased on eBay £30 ish already had the figure, am I happy with it...hell yes, does it display well for me....yes
Attachments
IMG_2752.JPG
IMG_2752.JPG (246.01 KiB) Viewed 563 times
IMG_2751.JPG
IMG_2751.JPG (215.85 KiB) Viewed 563 times
Last edited by Michael Sith on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:02 pm

Firstly everyone should collect what make them happy and not give a stuff about anyone else.
I too am trying to put together a first 20 run (not the first 21 as I’m never going to able to afford the Fett) :cry: for me they don’t have to be Palitoy, I’m happy with Kenner as well.
I have a few cut bubbles and some with the POP removed, but I love them just as much as my MOC’s.
It seems more and more collectors are now looking for reaseal/cut bubbles, I hope that I’m not priced out of this area before I get my run together!
Looing forward to seeing your runs when you feel happy to show them.

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:11 pm

I've always collected what appeals to me personally, at least as far as my budget allows. Some things I'd like to own will likely forever be out of my financial reach, but that's life. Even the highest of high end collectors will usually have their own personal 'grail' items that they're still looking for and or cannot afford, just as the lowest of low-budget collectors will have their own target items too, some of which they may be unable to afford. In both cases, owning their collections should bring their owners pleasure, otherwise what's the point?

To state the very obvious, everyone is different and so is everyone's collection. You may not personally care for someone else's collecting choices or their collection in general, but that doesn't give you the right to look down your nose at them. For example, I don't collect the vintage era Star Wars ice-lolly wrappers because they don't appeal to me personally, but I absolutely would never criticize someone else for liking or collecting them, and I certainly wouldn't sneer at their collecting choice.

There is no right or wrong way to collect vintage (OK, stealing it is wrong, but you know what I mean! :) ), and just because you might happen to have a 'better' collection (as presumably you alone define it) than someone else, doesn't give you the right to demean or belittle that person or their collection. People that behave in that way are basically cunts (please excuse my language), and I respect their worthless snobbish opinions not one iota. I have no time for them in any walk of life, be it collecting or elsewhere.

I have to say however, that in all my time on this Forum, whilst I have encountered the occasional abrasive individual, I can't recall ever having met a sneering collector of the type Lee describes. They certainly exist elsewhere (e.g. Facebook, by the sounds of things), but I think the members of this Forum can be pretty proud of their record of being an inclusive, helpful and encouraging bunch towards fellow collectors, regardless of the 'quality' of their collections.

Ruby2511
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Ruby2511 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:37 pm

No......we all have a shared passion to collect what we want and it makes us happy.

Some people are in a position to spend whatever they want on their collection, others like myself, have a budget.

It doesnt make me or those of us less of a collector or those where the skys the limit any more of a collector.

Like i said earlier, we all have a shared passion for collecting and sharing our well earned purchases on this lovely forum.

I like the fact that everybody is clearly pleased and congratulatory towards their fellow forum members when they share new additions to their collections.

Happy collecting all :D
Russ

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:14 pm

I have to say however, that in all my time on this Forum, whilst I have encountered the occasional abrasive individual, I can't recall ever having met a sneering collector of the type Lee describes. They certainly exist elsewhere (e.g. Facebook, by the sounds of things), but I think the members of this Forum can be pretty proud of their record of being an inclusive, helpful and encouraging bunch towards fellow collectors, regardless of the 'quality' of their collections.

Much like most things in life I like what we aren't all the same in our collecting habits. Cause it makes for a more interesting hobby and it means I can collect Ewok variants without too much competition. :lol: Any collector who talks down to another collector who chooses not to collect certain high end items, or is on a budget, is a fucking dick and can go do one.

*steps off soapbox

I like the fact that everybody is clearly pleased and congratulatory towards their fellow forum members when they share new additions to their collections.

Happy collecting all :D

I collect what makes me happy and makes me smile, and that means putting together my collection on a budget and displaying for me.
Case in point..... bubble and card, bubble fully attached left hand side purchased on eBay £30 ish already had the figure, am I happy with it...hell yes, does it display well for me....yes

That’s what I was expecting to hear from you guys, thanks for not letting me down!
Some great well constructed posts.
This place rocks....

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:17 pm

There are snobby twats in this hobby. People who are only impressed by value and rarity. The fact is enjoyment of your collection is not synonymous with what it’s worth or how “desirable” the items are. A man with a 50K collection may not like his collection as much as a guy with a 2K collection likes his. If people collect what they really like and are passionate about Vintage and their display then they’re more of a collector than the big money guys in my opinion.

Ruby2511
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Ruby2511 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:18 pm

Cheers :D :D :D

Your right.......this place rocks :lol: :lol: :lol:
Russ

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

reddogblues
Regular
Regular

Postby reddogblues » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:21 pm

I am not the same collector depending on when I am collecting! By which I mean, sometimes I get a passion for vintage, sometimes for prop replicas etc. Also, finances dictate what I look to purchase and focus on.

I have some very expensive items in my collection and I have had times when I have been able to afford such pieces. When I am on a tighter budget I switch focus and enjoy acquiring other pieces.

What I love about collecting vintage, is that I can add some really nice pieces (cardbacks etc) for 5 pounds, or if I am lucky enough, 500 pounds. I can always look to build on my collection without spending a fortune.

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:48 pm

It depends on your definition of collector. To some people it is spending obscene amounts of money on readily available items. I don't really consider that collecting personally, it's no different from walking in to Burberry and buying an expensive handbag.

To me collecting is learning, being patient, putting in effort, turning up unusual and rare things, and buying wisely enough to make a bit of profit when you come to sell.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”