Header image

So are all collectors the same?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
paulcalf
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: So are all collectors the same?

Postby paulcalf » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:56 pm

Hi all

I haven't been on for ages as i haven't been adding to my collection.

This thread caught my attention

For me my collection is all about my childhood and nostalgia.

Michael Sith I absolutely love your chewy bubble and card, what a bargain for £30 - Chewy was my first ever figure, so he has a very special place in my heart. I've still got my chewy and bought a cardback to display with him.

I couldn't justify/afford a MOC chewy, but i would love to buy a card with bubble attached if anyone hears of another!

I've just re located my childhood figure collection, they are now the first thing I see when I enter my house. Hopefully this will re enthuse me and get me back on SWFUK again.

Happy collecting everyone, except bell end collectors!

Michael Sith wrote:I am definitely a budget collector and agree totally Lee, in regard to making whole again something that was not whole before, saving vintage pieces.
Human nature as always will dictate the actions of others, who may look down on those that collect on a budget and set elitist parameters for collecting, if they are comfortable with that then that's up to them, but it would not ever sway me in any way.
I collect what makes me happy and makes me smile, and that means putting together my collection on a budget and displaying for me.
Case in point..... bubble and card, bubble fully attached left hand side purchased on eBay £30 ish already had the figure, am I happy with it...hell yes, does it display well for me....yes

starshipriot
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby starshipriot » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:25 am

I'm not particularly wealthy, so there's no chance of me ever considering a carded collection. Does that make me a non-serious collector? I really couldn't care either way. I have a banging collection of loose complete figures that I have acquired mostly from forum members since I joined up here, and I have had an absolute blast putting my small collection together. I'm just needing about four last 17, which I will probably pick up weaponless, just as filler until I can find them at an affordable price. And if I can't, well it's no-bodies business really.

I love so many old toylines as well as retro video games that it can be very hard to find stuff on a budget, as there's so much bloody stuff I want! I actually have been concentrating on my retro gaming collection more than I have old toys, and as such I haven't picked up anything Star Wars for a while despite frequenting the forum to see what's been going on.

That was until I bought a Famicom cartridge off a Japanese seller the other day and had a look at what else they were selling, and a loose Takara Tomy 1978 "Space Alloy" R2D2 caught my eye. Despite not really focusing on SW for the time being, I couldn't resist, so now have a vintage R2 en-route from Japan.

I might not be a proper collector, but it's hard to shake the bug and judging on how excited I am for R2 to arrive, I think I just got hooked again. Now to find them Last 17 I'm needin'!

starshipriot
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby starshipriot » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:31 am

Not a euphemism, but my lightsaber just extended with that post! Woohoo! :)

Taffius
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Taffius » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:42 am

Great topic Lee. Had to add my reply.

I think there is an element (perceived) of some long time experienced collectors looking down at the mere inadequate and method of how you collect (general terms and not specific people). It might be for number of reasons though and not as you many initally think.
Different collectors will do and collect different ways so there will be always an element of what is perceived as not being a proper collector if different to another in collecting styles or for the items you obtain. How can you be a collector and a seller?

Expensive pieces attract attention. Perhaps the class difference is then perceived differently too. Sub groups will gravitate people to similar likes as their own, but I dont think there is too many here that look down in extremis at any collection as they wouldnt be here? Does that sound about right for this forum.

Would I say I am a proper collector????
I would say I am trying to be a completist collector (all figures with weapons / combo of loose and carded) but still a collector in one form of many.

Let them look down.....I am too busy plodding along to notice or care about their perception of me or my items. :D

Taffius
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Taffius » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:00 am

Snaketibe wrote:
peekaygee73 wrote:There are three types of collector:

The low-end collector;
The high-end collector;
The bell-end collector.

The first two co-exist harmoniously, it's only when the third is involved that problems begin. :wink:

Love it! :lol:

That is a great summary snaketibe - which one do I fall into though? :lol:

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:06 am

In my simple view anyone who looks for multiple items to buy with the aim of simply owning them to enjoy is a collector, no matter what they are or their value or how many items there are. I can choose to start going outside and gather up and keep several different used fag ends off the floor and i'd still be classed as a collector.
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:37 am

Taffius wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:
peekaygee73 wrote:There are three types of collector:

The low-end collector;
The high-end collector;
The bell-end collector.

The first two co-exist harmoniously, it's only when the third is involved that problems begin. :wink:

Love it! :lol:

I can't take credit for that summary, I'm afraid. That was peekaygee73's work, although in light of subzero's post above, perhaps a fourth category of 'fag-end collector' should be added? :lol:

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:41 am

Snaketibe wrote:
Taffius wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:Love it! :lol:

I can't take credit for that summary, I'm afraid. That was peekaygee73's work, although in light of subzero's post above, perhaps a fourth category of 'fag-end collector' should be added? :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Fag-end latest acquisitions 8)

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:53 am

subzero wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:
Taffius wrote:

Ah, but will some fag-end collectors look down on others? Will the rich ones come from Mayfair and Pall Mall and think they're a Silk Cut above the rest? Will they make lesser collectors the butt of their jokes? And once they find their cigarette grails, is it all Dunhill after that, or business ash usual?

I'll get my coat...

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:32 pm

Snaketibe wrote:
subzero wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:I can't take credit for that summary, I'm afraid. That was peekaygee73's work, although in light of subzero's post above, perhaps a fourth category of 'fag-end collector' should be added? :lol:

Ah, but will some fag-end collectors look down on others? Will the rich ones come from Mayfair and Pall Mall and think they're a Silk Cut above the rest? Will they make lesser collectors the butt of their jokes? And once they find their cigarette grails, is it all Dunhill after that, or business ash usual?

I'll get my coat...

Haha! that's made my afternoon. :lol:

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”