Header image

Zipping Capes

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
ChallengerFox
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 329
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 am

Zipping Capes

Postby ChallengerFox » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:13 am

Please could anyone clarify on whether all vintage vinyl capes should zip or not ? From the research i've done some people say they should all zip and others have said not all do , eg PBP capes etc, I've got 3 Snowtrooper skirts that i've had since childhood and 2 of them zip but 1 doesn't so I very much doubt it's repro, unless they were making repros in the 80's ? I've also got a Leia cape that is similar material that doesn't zip, and a Vader cape that has a leathery texture to it that doesn't zip, any advice and discussion welcome, thanks.

User avatar
aussiejames
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3822
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:40 pm
Location: Western Australia

Re: Zipping Capes

Postby aussiejames » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:33 am

Most zip, not all, as you mentioned PBP Snowtrooper cape, Taiwan Leia cape, Ledy capes from memory...

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 10464
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Zipping Capes

Postby Pomse2001 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:13 pm

Not all capes zip, there are vader capes, leia capes and hoth stormie skirts that does not zip. I am not sure about kenobi, lando and leia bespin capes. I have also have a tusken raider cape that does not zip but that one still confuse me so I cannont confirm that one is real. I do not know about the jawa cape zip. Some capes are also not smooth, some capes are rugose :D I hope it helps :wink:

User avatar
plantainman
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: Zipping Capes

Postby plantainman » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:41 pm

ChallengerFox wrote:Please could anyone clarify on whether all vintage vinyl capes should zip or not ?
aussiejames wrote:Most zip, not all, as you mentioned PBP Snowtrooper cape, Taiwan Leia cape, Ledy capes from memory...

Simply, This. The answer to whether all vintage vinyl capes should zip is "Not", 100%.
Pomse2001 wrote:Not all capes zip, there are vader capes, leia capes and hoth stormie skirts that does not zip. I am not sure about kenobi, lando and leia bespin capes. I

PBP & Ledy Ben capes for sure are smooth, do not zip. Also as you say, Vader PBP capes are rugose and do not zip. There's actually quite a few variants that have smooth capes compared to their zippy kenner cousins, But I don't think the inverse is ever true...
*** SWFUK FEEDBACK *** COO VARIANTS by Plantainman (thread link) *** LIMELIGHT (coming soon, yeah right) ***

User avatar
TK-7785
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:53 pm

Re: Zipping Capes

Postby TK-7785 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:24 am

I recently picked up a Vader in a job lot that has a smooth cape. Are any Kenner or Palitoy variants known have the smooth capes, or are they a foreign/PBP thing only?
WANTED:
Rebel Commando focus items - MOCs, Baggies... http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37721
ROTJ Store Display Items

User avatar
aussiejames
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3822
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:40 pm
Location: Western Australia

Re: Zipping Capes

Postby aussiejames » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:26 am

I have heard very early 'Kenner' capes also do not 'zip'

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 10464
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Zipping Capes

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:28 pm

plantainman wrote:
ChallengerFox wrote:Please could anyone clarify on whether all vintage vinyl capes should zip or not ?
aussiejames wrote:Most zip, not all, as you mentioned PBP Snowtrooper cape, Taiwan Leia cape, Ledy capes from memory...

Simply, This. The answer to whether all vintage vinyl capes should zip is "Not", 100%.
Pomse2001 wrote:Not all capes zip, there are vader capes, leia capes and hoth stormie skirts that does not zip. I am not sure about kenobi, lando and leia bespin capes. I

PBP & Ledy Ben capes for sure are smooth, do not zip. Also as you say, Vader PBP capes are rugose and do not zip. There's actually quite a few variants that have smooth capes compared to their zippy kenner cousins, But I don't think the inverse is ever true...


Thanks I am also still learning, any info about a no zip sound tusken raider cape ? :D

User avatar
Ruby2511
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 820
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:58 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire

Re: Zipping Capes

Postby Ruby2511 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:45 pm

TK-7785 wrote:I recently picked up a Vader in a job lot that has a smooth cape


Same here, my Vader has a smooth cape :D
Russ

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

User avatar
plantainman
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: Zipping Capes

Postby plantainman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:04 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:
plantainman wrote:
ChallengerFox wrote:Please could anyone clarify on whether all vintage vinyl capes should zip or not ?

Simply, This. The answer to whether all vintage vinyl capes should zip is "Not", 100%.
Pomse2001 wrote:Not all capes zip, there are vader capes, leia capes and hoth stormie skirts that does not zip. I am not sure about kenobi, lando and leia bespin capes. I

PBP & Ledy Ben capes for sure are smooth, do not zip. Also as you say, Vader PBP capes are rugose and do not zip. There's actually quite a few variants that have smooth capes compared to their zippy kenner cousins, But I don't think the inverse is ever true...


Thanks I am also still learning, any info about a no zip sound tusken raider cape ? :D


sorry Lars, you're on your own there i'm afraid. not enough expertise in TR variants to chime in, although from what I can recall all TR figures I have ahad through my hands have had zippy capes. Keep us updated if you get evidence to support its status of belonging to a specific variant or if its repro say. Cheers, Neil
*** SWFUK FEEDBACK *** COO VARIANTS by Plantainman (thread link) *** LIMELIGHT (coming soon, yeah right) ***

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 10464
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Zipping Capes

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:06 pm

plantainman wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
plantainman wrote:Simply, This. The answer to whether all vintage vinyl capes should zip is "Not", 100%.

PBP & Ledy Ben capes for sure are smooth, do not zip. Also as you say, Vader PBP capes are rugose and do not zip. There's actually quite a few variants that have smooth capes compared to their zippy kenner cousins, But I don't think the inverse is ever true...


Thanks I am also still learning, any info about a no zip sound tusken raider cape ? :D


sorry Lars, you're on your own there i'm afraid. not enough expertise in TR variants to chime in, although from what I can recall all TR figures I have ahad through my hands have had zippy capes. Keep us updated if you get evidence to support its status of belonging to a specific variant or if its repro say. Cheers, Neil


Thanks mate :wink:

Can you ID a leia cape if I post a picture of it ? there is also no zip sound on that one.

User avatar
plantainman
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: Zipping Capes

Postby plantainman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:00 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:
plantainman wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
Thanks I am also still learning, any info about a no zip sound tusken raider cape ? :D


sorry Lars, you're on your own there i'm afraid. not enough expertise in TR variants to chime in, although from what I can recall all TR figures I have ahad through my hands have had zippy capes. Keep us updated if you get evidence to support its status of belonging to a specific variant or if its repro say. Cheers, Neil


Thanks mate :wink:

Can you ID a leia cape if I post a picture of it ? there is also no zip sound on that one.


PM me it and i'll do my best when I get 5 mins over the next week. Peace
*** SWFUK FEEDBACK *** COO VARIANTS by Plantainman (thread link) *** LIMELIGHT (coming soon, yeah right) ***

User avatar
Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3680
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Re: Zipping Capes

Postby Palifan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:03 pm

plantainman wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
plantainman wrote:
sorry Lars, you're on your own there i'm afraid. not enough expertise in TR variants to chime in, although from what I can recall all TR figures I have ahad through my hands have had zippy capes. Keep us updated if you get evidence to support its status of belonging to a specific variant or if its repro say. Cheers, Neil


Thanks mate :wink:

Can you ID a leia cape if I post a picture of it ? there is also no zip sound on that one.


PM me it and i'll do my best when I get 5 mins over the next week. Peace



I'd be interested in hearing the results on here so do let us know.

Ian

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 10464
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Zipping Capes

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:58 pm

plantainman wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
plantainman wrote:
sorry Lars, you're on your own there i'm afraid. not enough expertise in TR variants to chime in, although from what I can recall all TR figures I have ahad through my hands have had zippy capes. Keep us updated if you get evidence to support its status of belonging to a specific variant or if its repro say. Cheers, Neil


Thanks mate :wink:

Can you ID a leia cape if I post a picture of it ? there is also no zip sound on that one.


PM me it and i'll do my best when I get 5 mins over the next week. Peace


Thanks mate :D

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 10464
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Zipping Capes

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:58 pm

Palifan wrote:
plantainman wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
Thanks mate :wink:

Can you ID a leia cape if I post a picture of it ? there is also no zip sound on that one.


PM me it and i'll do my best when I get 5 mins over the next week. Peace



I'd be interested in hearing the results on here so do let us know.

Ian


We will, maybe I should just upload it here in the thread :lol:

User avatar
Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3680
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Re: Zipping Capes

Postby Palifan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:55 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:
Palifan wrote:
plantainman wrote:
PM me it and i'll do my best when I get 5 mins over the next week. Peace



I'd be interested in hearing the results on here so do let us know.

Ian


We will, maybe I should just upload it here in the thread :lol:


Sounds like the right move to me! :D

Ian


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bonsai_Tree_Ent, Google [Bot], Lom and 7 guests