Header image

What could Kenner have done better ?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: What could Kenner have done better ?

Postby subzero » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:45 am

r2isamale wrote:
subzero wrote:Vader without his helmet, would have been a nice figure for the POTF line. They made an Imperial Dignitary ffs who had 5 seconds of screen time, so why not a 'no helmet' Vader for kids to recreate that final important scene after the epic Vader / Luke fight?, plus he looks awesome without the helmet.

A 'Stormtrooper disguise' Han, makes no sense to just have a Luke.

Oh and a slave Leia, for err, for research purposes! :?

I second Slave Leia. I think that most dads would have bought that one. Even if their children did not plat with SW :P

The scenes that could have been enacted, like when Dark Helmet in Spaceballs gets caught out playing with the dolls. :lol:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:31 am

subzero wrote:
r2isamale wrote:
subzero wrote:Vader without his helmet, would have been a nice figure for the POTF line. They made an Imperial Dignitary ffs who had 5 seconds of screen time, so why not a 'no helmet' Vader for kids to recreate that final important scene after the epic Vader / Luke fight?, plus he looks awesome without the helmet.

A 'Stormtrooper disguise' Han, makes no sense to just have a Luke.

Oh and a slave Leia, for err, for research purposes! :?

I second Slave Leia. I think that most dads would have bought that one. Even if their children did not plat with SW :P

The scenes that could have been enacted, like when Dark Helmet in Spaceballs gets caught out playing with the dolls. :lol:

I love that scene :lol:

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:34 am

Darth Bobby wrote:Very interesting thread. I’ve always thought they should have made more cantina aliens. That was my favourite scene as a kid. By the time of the last 17/15 they should have concentrated on earlier film’s characters instead of Ewoks and Jabba goons. Garindan, Evazan, Wuher, etc.

To be honest though they must have done something right as we’re all still here talking about them!!!

I think it would be wrong not to have so many jabba and ewok figures when there are so many playsets and vehicles for jabba and ewoks.

But yes there should have been more cantina aliens :D Garindan would have been cool, but was he in the cantina ? :?

Darth Bobby
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Darth Bobby » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:35 am

Pomse2001 wrote:
Darth Bobby wrote:Very interesting thread. I’ve always thought they should have made more cantina aliens. That was my favourite scene as a kid. By the time of the last 17/15 they should have concentrated on earlier film’s characters instead of Ewoks and Jabba goons. Garindan, Evazan, Wuher, etc.

To be honest though they must have done something right as we’re all still here talking about them!!!

I think it would be wrong not to have so many jabba and ewok figures when there are so many playsets and vehicles for jabba and ewoks.

But yes there should have been more cantina aliens :D Garindan would have been cool, but was he in the cantina ? :?

He wasn’t in there in the film, he was lurking around outside. I reckon he probably popped in for the odd pint? He would have looked cool outside the sears play set.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:41 am

Darth Bobby wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:

He wasn’t in there in the film, he was lurking around outside. I reckon he probably popped in for the odd pint? He would have looked cool outside the sears play set.

Do you mean the Creature Cantina Playset ? that he would have looked cool outside ? :?

reddogblues
Regular
Regular

Postby reddogblues » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:54 am

Don't think this has come up yet, but how about more of the blasters?

We got the laser pistol, 3-position laser rifle, laser rifle, biker scout pistol and the rifle carry case.

Perhaps they could have also done Leia's pistol from the Tantive, Chewie's bowcaster, rebel trooper blaster, Boba Fett's blaster etc?

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:11 am

reddogblues wrote:Don't think this has come up yet, but how about more of the blasters?

We got the laser pistol, 3-position laser rifle, laser rifle, biker scout pistol and the rifle carry case.

Perhaps they could have also done Leia's pistol from the Tantive, Chewie's bowcaster, rebel trooper blaster, Boba Fett's blaster etc?

I agree they did the chewbacca bandolier strap so why the fuck did they not make a bowcaster :?

Leia pistol, boba blaster and rebel trooper blaster could also have been cool :D

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:48 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:
subzero wrote:
r2isamale wrote:

I remember almost choking on my drink the first time I seen it. :lol:

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:02 pm

subzero wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
subzero wrote:

:lol: I was a kid the first time I saw it, so I was not drinking yet, maybe I did drink milk :? :lol:

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:11 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:
reddogblues wrote:Don't think this has come up yet, but how about more of the blasters?

I agree they did the chewbacca bandolier strap so why the fuck did they not make a bowcaster :?

Leia pistol, boba blaster and rebel trooper blaster could also have been cool :D

Was this not around the time that “toy” guns were seen as not toys anymore, and frowned upon?

reddogblues
Regular
Regular

Postby reddogblues » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:18 pm

Mini99 wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:

Was this not around the time that “toy” guns were seen as not toys anymore, and frowned upon?

Possibly, I remember reading Kenner initially didn't want to produce the guns until Lucas insisted. I would imagine if this were the case though, they wouldn't have produced any guns. As it was they were still producing new ones for ROTJ (biker scout etc), so don't see a reason to not do a Chewie, Boba etc

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Agreed, good point.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:41 pm

reddogblues wrote:
Mini99 wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:

Possibly, I remember reading Kenner initially didn't want to produce the guns until Lucas insisted. I would imagine if this were the case though, they wouldn't have produced any guns. As it was they were still producing new ones for ROTJ (biker scout etc), so don't see a reason to not do a Chewie, Boba etc

So it could maybe be because of lucas they did not make the bowcaster ? :?

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby weasel » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:57 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:I must say I loved the ewoks and I could not see them makeing more wookies since there was only chewie in the movies :lol: But then again I loved the ewok movies :lol:

Lars, I've banned people for less than that. There is NO excuse for saying you like the Ewoks. None. They are a fucking waste of space. The only person who 'likes' Ewoks is Han Duo, and he 'liked' them a bit too much. :?

Frunkstar wrote:Wookies rather than ewoks in ROTJ, I was like 13 at the time & in all honesty, ewoks killed my love for SW right there & then at that age, loads of different wookies would have been great to collect, Ewoks - meh!

That's more like it. Let's turn this thread into the Ewok bashing tread that it should be.
Though given what George subsequently did with SW, and fact he created JarJar, maybe we should be glad he didn't create anything worse than Ewoks in the OT.
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:20 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:
subzero wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:

:lol: I was a kid the first time I saw it, so I was not drinking yet, maybe I did drink milk :? :lol:

I was about 21, but think I was actually just drinking pop though cus it was mid-day haha!

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”