Header image

Earliest Vintage SW Memories

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: Earliest Vintage SW Memories

Postby subzero » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:33 am

If we're not strictly talking about the toys, I also remember my earliest memory of watching Star Wars on telly at about 4 or 5 years old. I very clearly remember playing in the hallway in our flat and my dad calling me from the living room telling me SW was starting, I remember running into the living room to sit down and watch it and remember seeing the opening crawl in excitement, that's the only bit I remember and I can't remember if it was being played on VHS or it if was broadcast on TV, or even which of the 3 films it was.

I have a feeling though I may have even watched one of them even earlier than that, as I remember clearly knowing what I was about to watch like as if it was familiar.
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

Scouttroper74
New User
New User

Postby Scouttroper74 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:21 pm

Speaking of Star Wars on the TV and home video, I'm pretty sure it was the one of the first, if not the first thing i ever so on a video cassette. I think it came out on video in 82 and then on TV in 1984 if I'm not mistaken. And I definitely saw ROTJ before ESB! LOL! Seeing and listening to that CBS Home Video Logo and jingle at the beginning of the home video release of ESB, transports me back in time to my childhood !

Taffius
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Taffius » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:09 pm

I think it was ROTJ in my local cinema. Cannot remember A New Hope or ESB.
Figures wise, I have clear memories of only 3. Darth Vader, Emporer Royal Guard and Biker Scout. All picked for being baddies and cool.
Biker scout doubled as a Stormtrooper when playing. What I used for rebels I aint got a clue...probably Britains soliders. :lol:

coomber75
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby coomber75 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:06 pm

chads in hereford on a saturday picking up a figure... not sure which.. tyen watching SW on tv with my grandad would have been about 1982

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:53 pm

First SW memory was a friend of the family offering to take my sisters and I to the cinema to see it- Mum said no, as she thought I was too little.

I remember being in Reception year at school and my friend bringing in some Palitoy 12-bk cardbacks. Also remember the bubble gum cards being swapped in the playground and my friends giving me their doubles. I remember begging my Mum to let me get a pack from the newsagent.

First thing I owned was either a Gamester magazine, given to me by my auntie, or a Palitoy Tusken Raider mask, that I was given at my friend's party. Would've been 1978-9 so I was 5 or 6.

First figures were on my seventh birthday. I remember queuing at the checkout at Argos on Swindon for my X-wing and then choosing 2 figures in Zodiac Toys. Wasn't allowed Greedo or any of the aliens (too scary :roll: ), so chose Death Star Droid and R5, neither of which would fit inthe X-Wing. Still got them both. I remember being upset in the car on the way home, as the Death Star Droid's legs wouldn't move! Didn't realise they had to be 'cracked'.
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

bosk70
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby bosk70 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:00 am

My earliest memory is of playing in the sand pit at primary school with a friend who had brought an xwing and some figures in circa 1978, not sure how many cat turds we unearthed that day :D happy days
Vintage Star Wars helping me stay sane since 1977

Taffius
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Taffius » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:33 pm

bosk70 wrote:My earliest memory is of playing in the sand pit at primary school with a friend who had brought an xwing and some figures in circa 1978, not sure how many cat turds we unearthed that day :D happy days

Jabba droppings surely! :lol:

bosk70
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby bosk70 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:52 pm

Taffius wrote:
bosk70 wrote:My earliest memory is of playing in the sand pit at primary school with a friend who had brought an xwing and some figures in circa 1978, not sure how many cat turds we unearthed that day :D happy days

Jabba droppings surely! :lol:

most likely naughty jawas back then :)
Last edited by bosk70 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bosk70
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby bosk70 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:53 pm

I also remember cutting the back of a C3PO mask from a cereal packet around this time and also pencilling on the transfers onto the diorama's cards (letraset) and any other surface in the house

Scouttroper74
New User
New User

Postby Scouttroper74 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:07 pm

I also seem to recall being really upset back in 1983 just before ROTJ was released because there was a playground rumour circulating around that Han Solo was going to die and the Millennium Falcon was going to blow up! :lol: I don't know how rumours like this spread so much before the internet age, but it turned out that there was an element of truth to this rumour considering what we know about how Harrison Ford, Gary Kurtz and Laurence Kasdan felt about the direction they wanted the character to go. I think George Lucas made the right choice in the end! :wink:
Last edited by Scouttroper74 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:36 pm

My first memories are of some 'big' boys (they were probably about 7) carrying an AT-AT around to my house. It took 2 of them to carry it in and I thought it was amazing. I was 3 or 4. Also remeber playing with the MF on my third birthday and telling an old man all about it. :)
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Scarifpacific
Regular
Regular

Postby Scarifpacific » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:00 pm

This may sound daft but did anyone ever feel frightened at a young age by Star Wars? I remember going to see Jedi (the only film I saw at the cinema as a child) and feeling terrified at the first appearance of Vader. Maybe it was nervous excitement at seeing this on the big screen? Or maybe I’m just a big girls blouse!! :lol:
You may start your landing!

My Feedback viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37054

Hod10
New User
New User

Postby Hod10 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:56 pm

My very first memory of anything Star Wars was when I was aged 3... a neighbour who was a few years older was playing with a Stormtrooper or Stormtroopers in his sand pit/box. Vague memory but I remember they stood out from Weebles or Playmobil or whatever, very unique I remember thinking. Striking! When I hit 4 and half / 5, I was bought some figures in bulk... Han Hoth, Boba Fett, Leia Organa etc etc. Hooked!! Seeing Jedi at the cinema gave me brain damage. I still suffer with it

Sundancer Squadron
New User
New User

Postby Sundancer Squadron » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:11 pm

My first memory was at school, must of been around 94 and we got to take a toy home each weekend as long as it was returned after. I had no idea what it was, or even the existence of Star Wars but I ended up taking home Vader. No one else wanted it, in the end for weeks I only took that toy then one evening when I should of been asleep I put the tv on. The clank of AT-ATS on Hoth and snow speeders zipping around captured me, I think it was not until I got half way through did I realise what the toy I had been taking home actually was.

25 or so years later I found him in a box, looking at me. Its funny really, out of all of the movies I have watched over the years since childhood SW' seems to reignite ones memories, more so than any other movie. Even after selling off my sporadic collection of original Kenner figures and early 90s stuff, that single bloody Darth Vader has lured me back. :lol:

That reminds me, I need a saber for him :roll:
Last edited by Sundancer Squadron on Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanted
Ralph Mcquarrie concept series 30th anniversary figures
2007 gold sqn Y wing also the vintage collection Y wing
Legacy collection AT-TE

Taffius
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Taffius » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:09 am

Scarifpacific wrote:.... just a big girls blouse!! :lol:

:lol:

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”