Header image

Woolworths Special Buy 99p 8 packs

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
geoffbroccoli
New User
New User

Woolworths Special Buy 99p 8 packs

Postby geoffbroccoli » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:46 pm

Hi

I'm hoping to pick your collective brains... Does anyone remember exactly when these were released in Woolworths? I vividly remember buying a few of them in the summer school hols in Skegness and getting figures I'd long needed as a child... but can't place the exact year. I think it must be '86, '87 or '88?

Thanks,
Geoff.

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Woolworths Special Buy 99p 8 packs

Postby Frunkstar » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:33 am

I never actually saw them in stores but I am sure Laurence Dyer or Delboy could confirm for sure, 85 seems to ring a bell for me, there were 2 offer run of them in the same year BTW
If there's a bright spark to the center of the galaxy, we're on the planet it's furthest from.

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:15 am

My Dad got mine Christmas Eve 1986 and I can say this with pretty much 100% certainty. My Dad tells the story how he was doing some last minute shopping Christmas Eve and he popped into Woolworths to see what they had. The staff were stacking the shelves ready for the Boxing Day sales and their was a load of Woolworths 8 packs and 99p special buy vehicles. He remembers searching for the 8 pack which had the best selection for what I needed.

I’m certain it was Christmas 86, because Christmas 85 I got the AT-AT and Christmas 87 a Jet Hopper Radio Controlled car.

I can’t say they were not around before this but it was certainly the first time my Dad found them. :)
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:19 am

I believe most of them originated from Reading in around 2015 ;)

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:31 am

edd_jedi wrote:I believe most of them originated from Reading in around 2015 ;)

But what proof do you have? :roll:

I’m being sarcastic.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:04 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:38 pm

Rolling about typing this :lol: :lol: :lol:
If there's a bright spark to the center of the galaxy, we're on the planet it's furthest from.

momike
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby momike » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:45 pm

Lol Reading

1986 sounds correct to me as my sister got me one on Boxing Day that year, only reason I remember is because it’s the nicest thing she ever did for me, pretty sure she went back to beating me up the next day :lol:

Bunglebubs
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Bunglebubs » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:52 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: That is hilarious

I remember seeing them for sale not sure exact year but '85 sounds about right to me.
There is no spoon!

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:18 am

It's crazy that these were just sitting around on clearance shelves for 99p. 99p for eight figures! Talk about trying to shift stock of a dying toy line. Think what they're worth now. Also that's only equivalent to £2.85 now. Now they want £15 for a shitty modern 2 pack.

I've got a question for the multipack baggie experts.. Frank 8) Were the figures packed in these completely random character combinations or are there multiples of known combinations?? Just curious as to whether they thought - we must have some goodies, baddies, couple of major characters etc.

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:28 am

I've tried to remember which figures I got in my 8 pack and I'm pretty sure it was:

Luke Farmboy. (without saber)
Greedo
R5-D4
Hoth Rebel Soldier
Han Bespin
Luke X-Wing
Jawa
Hoth Rebel Commander

I can't be 100% sure but at least 6 of these came in it I reckon.

David Tree
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby David Tree » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:06 pm

It was end half of 85, people keep thinking in the wrong context with respect to these items, it wasn't Star Wars being cleared, it was part of a large clearance toysale that featured multiple product lines, including Mattel, but was made up with the majority of discontinued Palitoy lines. Large volumes of Palitoy product were shifted to various retailers in an effort to recoup money, clear space due to storage shut down - or in some awesome stories, out the back door for as much as you could fill a van and money not going through the books.
The bundle packs of figures were part of that to Woolworths, but were not the only unpackaged/ incomplete/ non-retail product to be sold through that toy sale, which included window boxed Action Force vehicles with and without figures. Star Wars was dead in the water at toy retail by this point, with Transformers and Masters Of The Universe leading the boys action figure market at this point.
Co-op was another of the mainstream retailers that also ended up a fair amount too.

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:16 pm

David Tree wrote:The bundle packs of figures were part of that to Woolworths, but were not the only unpackaged/ incomplete/ non-retail product to be sold through that toy sale, which included window boxed Action Force vehicles with and without figures..

Did the other toy lines have the same white circular special price stickers as the figure and vehicle etc Star Wars items?

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:50 pm

I don't reckon Woolworths 8 packs were out in 1985, Trilogo and POTF figures were still out then. I got a boxed AT-AT Christmas 1985 and so did most of my friends, also got ROTJ carded figures after that. I did live in Cornwall though so probably about right as we seemed to be 12 months behind the rest of the country in most things.

geoffbroccoli
New User
New User

Postby geoffbroccoli » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:52 pm

Thanks guys, I'm pretty certain it can't have been '85 as I know I wasn't collecting then (based on school year, family stuff at the time etc) so '86 sounds good, although I know it was August when I bought mine, as it was the summer holidays, so if they only came out around Christmas time it might have been 87...

Funny, the one figure I remember getting (and still have) is my brown hair Luke Skywalker original, also without sabre..

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”