Header image

Woolworths Special Buy 8 Star Wars Figures for 99p Pack Research Findings

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Woolworths Special Buy 99p 8 packs

Postby theforceuk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:28 am

I've tried to remember which figures I got in my 8 pack and I'm pretty sure it was:

Luke Farmboy. (without saber)
Greedo
R5-D4
Hoth Rebel Soldier
Han Bespin
Luke X-Wing
Jawa
Hoth Rebel Commander

I can't be 100% sure but at least 6 of these came in it I reckon.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

David Tree
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby David Tree » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:06 pm

It was end half of 85, people keep thinking in the wrong context with respect to these items, it wasn't Star Wars being cleared, it was part of a large clearance toysale that featured multiple product lines, including Mattel, but was made up with the majority of discontinued Palitoy lines. Large volumes of Palitoy product were shifted to various retailers in an effort to recoup money, clear space due to storage shut down - or in some awesome stories, out the back door for as much as you could fill a van and money not going through the books.
The bundle packs of figures were part of that to Woolworths, but were not the only unpackaged/ incomplete/ non-retail product to be sold through that toy sale, which included window boxed Action Force vehicles with and without figures. Star Wars was dead in the water at toy retail by this point, with Transformers and Masters Of The Universe leading the boys action figure market at this point.
Co-op was another of the mainstream retailers that also ended up a fair amount too.

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:16 pm

David Tree wrote:The bundle packs of figures were part of that to Woolworths, but were not the only unpackaged/ incomplete/ non-retail product to be sold through that toy sale, which included window boxed Action Force vehicles with and without figures..

Did the other toy lines have the same white circular special price stickers as the figure and vehicle etc Star Wars items?

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:50 pm

I don't reckon Woolworths 8 packs were out in 1985, Trilogo and POTF figures were still out then. I got a boxed AT-AT Christmas 1985 and so did most of my friends, also got ROTJ carded figures after that. I did live in Cornwall though so probably about right as we seemed to be 12 months behind the rest of the country in most things.

geoffbroccoli
New User
New User

Postby geoffbroccoli » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:52 pm

Thanks guys, I'm pretty certain it can't have been '85 as I know I wasn't collecting then (based on school year, family stuff at the time etc) so '86 sounds good, although I know it was August when I bought mine, as it was the summer holidays, so if they only came out around Christmas time it might have been 87...

Funny, the one figure I remember getting (and still have) is my brown hair Luke Skywalker original, also without sabre..

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:52 pm

Robstyley wrote:It's crazy that these were just sitting around on clearance shelves for 99p. 99p for eight figures! Talk about trying to shift stock of a dying toy line. Think what they're worth now. Also that's only equivalent to £2.85 now. Now they want £15 for a shitty modern 2 pack.

I've got a question for the multipack baggie experts.. Frank 8) Were the figures packed in these completely random character combinations or are there multiples of known combinations?? Just curious as to whether they thought - we must have some goodies, baddies, couple of major characters etc.

Delboy is a better person to ask about this as sadly I never did see them back in day having long since lost interest in the figures for fast bikes & fast women by then :lol: on retrospect rather foolish :lol: :lol:

But from my talks with Del & other collectors & what I have seen in the only 4 known still sealed examples (excludes made in reading examples - still chuckling about that BTW Edd), they were totally random, literally thrown together with whatever they had on hand to stuff them with, most were loose figures, I think most had some accessories but they often did not even match the figures in the pack, one of mine is an ideal example of this as it has a luke & a bed saber in but neither of the figures in the bag, some also had baggies in them like mine have, I have seen several sales via vectis whith lots of loose & bagged figures accompanied by the open woolies baggie, so I would assume there were more of these put out with bagged figures than folks would seem to think, as most I have seen open with figures have had baggies with them, which if you consider the figure were sent in shipping cases all bagged would make perfect sense - CAB to unpack them considering the price, just lob em in & slap a sticker on :o :lol:

I do know the majority of figures were either ROTJ era figures or ones that were still popular & being carded on ROTJ MOC's like stormies/vader/fett etc etc which again would make sense.

I do remember a conversation some years back with Del about how he would open the baggies up in the bins to swap figure to get a better combination of figures :o & he said he does remember a trip to town when the bin was overflowing with Gamorrean guards in them, like 3 of 4 in a single 8 pack, so it really would seen pretty dam random.
If there's a bright spark to the center of the galaxy, we're on the planet it's furthest from.

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:56 pm

geoffbroccoli wrote:Thanks guys, I'm pretty certain it can't have been '85 as I know I wasn't collecting then (based on school year, family stuff at the time etc) so '86 sounds good, although I know it was August when I bought mine, as it was the summer holidays, so if they only came out around Christmas time it might have been 87...

Funny, the one figure I remember getting (and still have) is my brown hair Luke Skywalker original, also without sabre..

Yes Christmas '86 pretty much is 1987 and it was definetly Christmas 1986 that I got mine 100% sure. It's a good bet that they were released December 1986.

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:57 pm

Thanks Frank(and Dave and others), I suspected as much, they were hardly going to start sorting them when putting them out at that price. Very interesting thread.

fuzzybuzzytoys
Approved Trader
Approved Trader

Postby fuzzybuzzytoys » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:36 pm

Interesting photo. Taken June 2001....Jeff Glanville's loft find. I have known of this photo's existence for some time and this is the first opportunity I have had to see the evidence for myself.
Attachments
June2001.jpg
June2001.jpg (54.21 KiB) Viewed 317 times
Reboot in process....

poncho
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby poncho » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:41 pm

fuzzybuzzytoys wrote:Interesting photo. Taken June 2001....Jeff Glanville's loft find. I have known of this photo's existence for some time and this is the first opportunity I have had to see the evidence for myself.

:o woah.....

Mr-shifter
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Mr-shifter » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:59 pm

fuzzybuzzytoys wrote:Interesting photo. Taken June 2001....Jeff Glanville's loft find. I have known of this photo's existence for some time and this is the first opportunity I have had to see the evidence for myself.

Call me old skeptical sally but.......

Is there any proof, ie a negative with a date, a digital camera date stamp or an origional photo with a date printed on it to prove that the photo was taken in 2001.......
WANTED: The following speederbikes. I would like them boxed but open and complete. I need:

Meccano stickered bike
Pbp stickered bilogo
Danish stickered bilogo
Special offer uk bilogo

laurencedyer
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby laurencedyer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:03 pm

This is actually a rather impressive image.
A few questions come to mind though.
Was this image taken by Jeff at the time of the find, Presumably by the camera on his phone?
If not, why is it printed on a piece of paper? Surely this would have been printed by a photographers back then?

spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby spoons » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:09 pm

My mate was bootlegging cds for me with home printed inserts back in 1999, so no problem with home printing for the photo.

Couldn’t comment on the genuineness of the subject - impressive none the less
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

poncho
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby poncho » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:11 pm

laurencedyer wrote:

This is actually a rather impressive image.
A few questions come to mind though.
Was this image taken by Jeff at the time of the find, Presumably by the camera on his phone?
If not, why is it printed on a piece of paper? Surely this would have been printed by a photographers back then?

thats been put onto word document enlarged by looks of and printed

fuzzybuzzytoys
Approved Trader
Approved Trader

Postby fuzzybuzzytoys » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:22 pm

The photograph was taken from an old works camera which Jeff used for surveys. This is a copy which was located in Jeff’s paperwork (there’s tons of papers)

The find was in a bungalow in Arboufield nr Reading which was a probate. The loft was to be cleared for woodworm treatment. Everything in it belonged to an old lady who had died. Jeff mentioned to the new owner about various items up there and was given everything or it was to be dumped

Please feel free to use the image across any forums and FB groups for discussion.
Last edited by fuzzybuzzytoys on Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reboot in process....

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”