Header image

Restoring Stormtroopers

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Bossk
New User
New User

Restoring Stormtroopers

Postby Bossk » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:06 pm

Is it really possible to restore those yellowing once White figures? I don’t mean with a coat of dulux brilliant white by the way.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Restoring Stormtroopers

Postby Mini99 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:27 pm

Short answer, no!
Sorry all to do with plastic degradation which is not reversible.

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:10 am

Unfortunately one day every single white figure could very well end up yellow and there's nothing we can do about it, unless some scientific genius comes up with a solution. :cry:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

Twin30mm
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Twin30mm » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:52 am

There have been various solutions put forward over the last few years, e.g. hydrogen peroxide, ozone + UV light etc.
Whilst these solutions work well in the short term, in most cases, the yellowing tends to return after time.
There is also the possibility of having a detrimental effect on the plastic, over time (not sure if this has been proven).

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:54 am

There is a thread about it here on this link, but if you do it and then one day sell the figures then most buyers would love to know what you have done to the figures before they buy them viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7435

Bossk
New User
New User

Postby Bossk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:22 pm

Ooo, just to be clear on that last post by the way. I don’t have any and you will be seeing any sold by me. I sold a bunch of yellowing stormtroopers around 2 or 3 years ago (perhaps longer) and the guy I sold them to thought he’d won the lottery. He was convinced that hydrogen peroxide would turn up white again. I’d love to know what happened.

Thanks for all the posts on this guys. Interesting but as I thought (hoped :D ) would be the case.

TK-7785
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby TK-7785 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:45 am

They will often have some of the yellow removed, but they never truly turn white again. And in most cases the limbs start to turn a pinkish colour. So it's a really a waste of time if your goal is to turn back the signs of ageing. I stay well clear of any stormtroopers, biker scouts etc that have pinkish limbs. It means someone has already chemically buggered with them and the plastic degradation may well act faster as a result. Anyway at least a yellowing stormtrooper can pass a sandtrooper, not sure how much use a pink pooftrooper is to anyone.
WANTED:
Rebel Commando focus items - MOCs, Baggies... http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37721
ROTJ Store Display Items

Stubbs
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Stubbs » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:42 pm

TK-7785 wrote:not sure how much use a pink pooftrooper is to anyone.

Haha

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Stubbs wrote:

Haha

:lol: :lol: :lol:

StarWarsFan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby StarWarsFan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:18 pm

:lol:
Mini99 wrote:
Stubbs wrote:

Haha

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:51 am

TK-7785 wrote:They will often have some of the yellow removed, but they never truly turn white again. And in most cases the limbs start to turn a pinkish colour. So it's a really a waste of time if your goal is to turn back the signs of ageing. I stay well clear of any stormtroopers, biker scouts etc that have pinkish limbs. It means someone has already chemically buggered with them and the plastic degradation may well act faster as a result. Anyway at least a yellowing stormtrooper can pass a sandtrooper, not sure how much use a pink pooftrooper is to anyone.

Have you tried it ? I remember Imperial nut tried it with farmer luke and as I understand it he got white again and was white for a few years. I do not know if he is still white because I have not heard from him in a few years.

It could be cool to see some pictures of before and after and then again many years after to see if something change to pink as you write. I have thought about trying to test it on a beater. But I have not found 6%, 20 vol, Hydrogen Peroxide for sale in denmark :(

av6 also did a test in 2011 on a biker scout he is still on the forum, maybe he want to update us with pictures after 7 years to see how the figure looks today :?

Do you have pictures of now and after from a test or do you know any one who have such pictures ?

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”