Header image

Star Wars to Action Force

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Bossk
New User
New User

Star Wars to Action Force

Postby Bossk » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:41 pm

For those of us that played with the vintage star wars toys back in the late 70s and early 80s, like me, did anyone make the transition to action force. I loved those as a kid and dare I say it, much more play time with those play sets, vehicles and bendy figures. I’ve never gone back to em though. No action force any where to be seen in my collection. All about vintage Star Wars. I do confess though. I reckon a mint snake eyes and storm shadow MOC would look really cool on display. Love to hear your thoughts and memories all.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Star Wars to Action Force

Postby Mini99 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:25 pm

There are some Action Force collectors on here.
Have a look in Other Vintage Collections in Off Topic I think there are some posts there.

coomber75
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby coomber75 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:19 pm

admit action force came on my radar too... i seem to remember a red skull ship??? that sound right lol

Nita Nitro
Regular
Regular

Postby Nita Nitro » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:17 am

I seem to remember being aware that Action Force was out there and I had one figure that I believe was action force, (a frogman), but Star Wars was always my main focus. I did get good playtime out of the frogman and he joined the ranks of my Star Wars figures for a while, but I always felt that he didn’t quite belong in the spaceships, being the diver that he was. I also had one Star Trek figure at one point, which I loved, but he disappeared pretty quickly from my collection, probably ‘borrowed’ by a cousin, or something, at some point. :D
I have to admit that I find myself checking action force figures out, from time to time, because they do look cool, especially on the cards :)
You weren't on any mercy mission this time, Your Highness.

Feedback thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29577&hilit=Nita+nitro

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:55 pm

I definitely moved towards AF when I was 10/11/12. Really loved it and was actually allowed to buy them, whereas my parents were always funny about me buying SW stuff. It was a relief not to have a battle over it. Thankfully kept most of my childhood stuff and have built on it since with a few MOCs. It will never have the all out nostalgia that SW toys have for me, but is definitely my second favourite childhood toy, ahead of Scalextric and Action Man.

This is my Roboskull. Bought a couple of years ago and lovingly restored. Awesome! One of Bob Brechin's finest moments! 8)
Attachments
20181005_204831.jpg
20181005_204831.jpg (105.33 KiB) Viewed 787 times
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

coomber75
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby coomber75 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:43 pm

Cazza wrote:I definitely moved towards AF when I was 10/11/12. Really loved it and was actually allowed to buy them, whereas my parents were always funny about me buying SW stuff. It was a relief not to have a battle over it. Thankfully kept most of my childhood stuff and have built on it since with a few MOCs. It will never have the all out nostalgia that SW toys have for me, but is definitely my second favourite childhood toy, ahead of Scalextric and Action Man.

This is my Roboskull. Bought a couple of years ago and lovingly restored. Awesome! One of Bob Brechin's finest moments! 8)

That's the ship I was thinking of!!! Nice work mate

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:09 am

Do I have that right that these are a type of official 'Action Man' spin off toy line?, just noticed the Action Man logo on the cardbacks which iv'e never noticed before. I know nothing about Action Force by the way. :lol:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

Nita Nitro
Regular
Regular

Postby Nita Nitro » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:00 am

subzero wrote:Do I have that right that these are a type of official 'Action Man' spin off toy line?, just noticed the Action Man logo on the cardbacks which iv'e never noticed before. I know nothing about Action Force by the way. :lol:

I’m not an expert on this, but I read that Action Force was the U.K. name for the American line ‘Real American Heroes’, which was a descendant of the 3 3/4 GI Joe line and the larger scale figures from even earlier.
I’m sure there are others out there who have a more complete knowledge of the line, but hope that helps a little :)
You weren't on any mercy mission this time, Your Highness.

Feedback thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29577&hilit=Nita+nitro

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:43 am

Nita Nitro wrote:
subzero wrote:Do I have that right that these are a type of official 'Action Man' spin off toy line?, just noticed the Action Man logo on the cardbacks which iv'e never noticed before. I know nothing about Action Force by the way. :lol:

I’m not an expert on this, but I read that Action Force was the U.K. name for the American line ‘Real American Heroes’, which was a descendant of the 3 3/4 GI Joe line and the larger scale figures from even earlier.
I’m sure there are others out there who have a more complete knowledge of the line, but hope that helps a little :)

Pretty much spot on mate. They were basically mini Action Men. They shared some moulds etc with GI Joe in Series 2, but especially with Series 3. There was a comic to accompany the toys. Series 1 was very British- def my favourite series.
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:35 pm

Cazza wrote:
Nita Nitro wrote:

Pretty much spot on mate. They were basically mini Action Men. They shared some moulds etc with GI Joe in Series 2, but especially with Series 3. There was a comic to accompany the toys. Series 1 was very British- def my favourite series.

Cheers guys that explains that then!
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

tobedesu
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby tobedesu » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:54 am

I sold most of my fully articulated Action Force figures and vehicles...reluctantly.
Kept tje 5POA Action Force though.
Dont have tje same semtiment as star wars but good figures nonetheless.

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:39 am

I don't think I had any Action Force toys, I vaguely recognise some of them from visiting friends etc but they don't really give me any nostalgia. After Star Wars I went on to MASK and Centurions mainly, but also had some Visionaries and Real Ghostbusters.

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:48 am

I’m like Edd. I moved from Star Wars to Transformers, He-man and M.A.S.K. but can’t for the life of me remember the exact order. My best mate had Action Force though so I did play with it.

tobeshadow
New User
New User

Postby tobeshadow » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:09 am

Star Wars was always my favourite, but Action Force were always knocking around. I think the greatest strength of the early 5POA figures was that they were generic. A lot of the films I loved as a kid either didn't have toy lines or I didn't know they existed (My first Indiana Jones figure was a painted Han in Bespin!) so the Action Force figures could wear many hats! The German Soldier was ideal for battling Indy, and the camo soldiers were perfect for anything from WW2 right through to modern. I remember a glorious summer in the garden using Z-Force figures as commandos with Squid Head doing double-duty as The Predator!

tobedesu
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby tobedesu » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:00 am

TheJabbaWookie wrote:I’m like Edd. I moved from Star Wars to Transformers, He-man and M.A.S.K. but can’t for the life of me remember the exact order. My best mate had Action Force though so I did play with it.

It is hard to remember exactly.
I think i may have been something like this:

Very early days of Matchbox and Corgi and then Mego superhero figures, and Action Man. And the small plastic soldiers.
Star Wars.
Action Force
MOTU
Transformers and MUSCLE
I got into NFL in 1986 and that was pretty much that.

There was a lot of bits and pieces in between, but going over my childhood collection it appears that I didnt have a great, lasting interest in the following because I only had the odd figure.
Zoids, MASK, RATS.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”