Header image

Star Wars to Action Force

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Gorneesh
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: Star Wars to Action Force

Postby Gorneesh » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:20 pm

I got really heavy into Action Force after Star Wars, never really did He-Man, Transformers
Not in the right order I'm sure but i was kind of like this...
Action Force / Action Man
Mask
Zoids
There were many other and I had lots of bit that were one of so I had one Go Bots and a few small Centurions bits, that were gifts from family but never was really into.
Then I started getting into computer games, wasting way to many hours copying code out of a magazine for a really shit game, or in my case find you got it wrong and wasted all that time, turn of the computer in a huff and go out side to play.
WTB - Star Wars Mailers
bDC #413

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:01 pm

Gorneesh wrote:I got really heavy into Action Force after Star Wars, never really did He-Man, Transformers
Not in the right order I'm sure but i was kind of like this...
Action Force / Action Man
Mask
Zoids
There were many other and I had lots of bit that were one of so I had one Go Bots and a few small Centurions bits, that were gifts from family but never was really into.
Then I started getting into computer games, wasting way to many hours copying code out of a magazine for a really shit game, or in my case find you got it wrong and wasted all that time, turn of the computer in a huff and go out side to play.

Do you remember copying “pokes” from mags into spectrum game codes to get extra lives etc?
What was the Spectrum mag called?

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:27 pm

Mini99 wrote:Do you remember copying “pokes” from mags into spectrum game codes to get extra lives etc?
What was the Spectrum mag called?

I do! There were some brilliant POKES available for 'Jet Set Willy' on the Spectrum :-D

My brother and I also once wasted an entire day painstakingly programming in the 'missing screen from Jet Set Willy', as proudly advertised and boasted about on the cover of C&VG mag (Computer and video Games), only to find we had a copper-bottomed case for prosecuting them under the Misrepresentation of Goods Act / Trades Descriptions Act, as what we spent hours and hours squelching in using the Speccy's rubber keyboard bore about as much resemblance to Jet Set Willy as a 3-legged asthmatic donkey does to a Formula One car!

I would say, 'Good times!', but those fruitless hours plugging in code certainly weren't! :lol:

I've even managed to find a copy of the mag cover on Google!

Missing Screen My Ass!.jpg
Missing Screen My Ass!.jpg (212.43 KiB) Viewed 277 times

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:18 pm

Great times indeed, and as you say, often fruitless!
I always found it amazing that the covers of these mags bear no resemblance to the games!
That’s not the mag I used to have, it was only for Spectrum and in the later days had a “free” cassette of playable demons on the front cover, could have been called Crash?

David Tree
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby David Tree » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:42 pm

It has been known that I am partial to a little bit of Action Force :)

stu70
Regular
Regular

Postby stu70 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:49 pm

Mini99 wrote:That’s not the mag I used to have, it was only for Spectrum and in the later days had a “free” cassette of playable demons on the front cover, could have been called Crash?

Yes, it was Crash magazine, I used to get it myself before the poor old rubber keyboard on my Spectrum had enough, then had a Commodore 64 which had a similar magazine called ZZAP! 64.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:48 pm

That’s it, so it was Crash, thanks for confirming.
I used to have that mag regularly, it was a great read, but then they started to include the “free” cassette and the “mag” shrunk to a few pages.
I gave it up then as my Spectrum also gave up the ghost!
I stopped gaming then until the PS 1 came out, now that was a special time!

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”