Header image

Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 40, 2018, Part 2/2

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 40, 2018, Part 2/2

Postby Pomse2001 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:41 pm

Early Bird Certificate Package:

early.jpg
early.jpg (104.78 KiB) Viewed 475 times

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 40, 2018, Part 2/2

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:58 pm

I wish. Think this currently tops my wanted list. I don’t think I can afford to ever own it, but stop short of calling it a grail piece as it isn’t unobtainable. Looking forward to seeing if any of you have it in your collection.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:16 am

TheJabbaWookie wrote:I wish. Think this currently tops my wanted list. I don’t think I can afford to ever own it, but stop short of calling it a grail piece as it isn’t unobtainable. Looking forward to seeing if any of you have it in your collection.

I only have a part of it :lol: but also a grail that I hope to complete in the future and again an item that I wish I had completed 10 years ago or more :lol: Could be cool to see if any on the forum have a complete set that he or she would share with us :D

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:14 pm

I completely understand why many collectors want one, but it's a piece that's never really appealed to me. I guess it's because it was never available in the UK, and hence I never had one as a child and hence have no nostalgic pull towards owning one as an adult. And unlike the Kenner items never released over here which were toys in their own right (e.g. The Sandcrawler) and therefore had their own appeal, the Early Bird set didn't do a lot. Add in the fact that all the figures were also available carded, albeit with many EB sets coming with a double-telescoping Luke of course which is very hard to find carded (and not at all on a Palitoy card, at least as far as anyone seems to know), and the end result is that I've never really wanted one. And of course these days they're also extremely expensive, giving me even less motivation to try to get one.

Don't get me wrong, it's a major piece of vintage Star Wars toy history, and as I say, I totally understand the appeal for many other collectors, but for the reasons stated above, it's just not a piece for me.

Graham_Marshall
Regular
Regular

Postby Graham_Marshall » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:11 pm

Hi everyone. Here is my early bird mailer which was mailed out as it has an address label. I purchased this around 10 years ago on the old RS boards from a chap in the States. Although the figures were loose I decided to put them in Kenner baggies. (Incorrect ones I know) The pegs are in a plain zip lock baggie also. Nevertheless the Luke is a D.T. R2 has the darker paint and both Leia and Chewie’s weapons are the blue green variants so I’m happy with them. The tray is in good shape as are the catalogue (2nd issue with the Luke & Leia the correct way round) and display stand mailer flyer. Unfortunately Luke and Leia’s torsos have started to yellow. If anyone has any leads on early baggies that would compliment these figures I would be very grateful. All in all probably a bit of a Frankenstein set but I love it. :D

I have an opened early bird envelope to go with it, sans coupon but that is squirrelled away elsewhere :D

Looking to buy Kenner Bossk & Boba Fett Mailers. Drop me a P.M

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:32 am

Graham_Marshall wrote:Hi everyone. Here is my early bird mailer which was mailed out as it has an address label. I purchased this around 10 years ago on the old RS boards from a chap in the States. Although the figures were loose I decided to put them in Kenner baggies. (Incorrect ones I know) The pegs are in a plain zip lock baggie also. Nevertheless the Luke is a D.T. R2 has the darker paint and both Leia and Chewie’s weapons are the blue green variants so I’m happy with them. The tray is in good shape as are the catalogue (2nd issue with the Luke & Leia the correct way round) and display stand mailer flyer. Unfortunately Luke and Leia’s torsos have started to yellow. If anyone has any leads on early baggies that would compliment these figures I would be very grateful. All in all probably a bit of a Frankenstein set but I love it. :D

I have an opened early bird envelope to go with it, sans coupon but that is squirrelled away elsewhere :D

Wow what beauty that set is graham, thanks for sharing the pictures and it also great to see you in the star wars of the week threads :wink:

any idea what such a set cost today ? :?

I could for sure live with a Frankenstein set :lol:

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:59 am

Very cool Early Bird set Graham, thanks for sharing. :shock: 8)
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:06 am

This is a great way to do it on a budget. Awesome.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:09 am

Many thanks for sharing your Early Bird Set, very nice!
Could you explain this for me
2nd issue with the Luke & Leia the correct way round

Thanks

Graham_Marshall
Regular
Regular

Postby Graham_Marshall » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:46 pm

Mini99 wrote:Many thanks for sharing your Early Bird Set, very nice!

Thanks

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

The first issue catalogue has the Luke and Leia logo reversed but was corrected to the standard image we see on the above and all other Star Wars issued toys.

I got all of the above minus baggies plus the envelope in one go. And i’m sorry to say including postage from the States it cost a little over £300. The outer sabre has a crack in it though if that makes this news any easier :wink:

Graham_Marshall
Regular
Regular

Postby Graham_Marshall » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:02 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:any idea what such a set cost today ? :?

I could for sure live with a Frankenstein set :lol:

No idea what it would cost today. Glad I got it when I did. In fact I haven’t purchased any SW in a long time. The prices nowerdays are bonkers. :shock:

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:48 pm

Graham_Marshall wrote:

Thanks

The first issue catalogue has the Luke and Leia logo reversed but was corrected to the standard image we see on the above and all other Star Wars issued toys.

I got all of the above minus baggies plus the envelope in one go. And i’m sorry to say including postage from the States it cost a little over £300. The outer sabre has a crack in it though if that makes this news any easier :wink:

Thanks for the information, I did not know that.

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:58 pm

Graham_Marshall wrote:Hi everyone. Here is my early bird mailer which was mailed out as it has an address label. I purchased this around 10 years ago on the old RS boards from a chap in the States. Although the figures were loose I decided to put them in Kenner baggies. (Incorrect ones I know) The pegs are in a plain zip lock baggie also. Nevertheless the Luke is a D.T. R2 has the darker paint and both Leia and Chewie’s weapons are the blue green variants so I’m happy with them. The tray is in good shape as are the catalogue (2nd issue with the Luke & Leia the correct way round) and display stand mailer flyer. Unfortunately Luke and Leia’s torsos have started to yellow. If anyone has any leads on early baggies that would compliment these figures I would be very grateful. All in all probably a bit of a Frankenstein set but I love it. :D

That's a lovely set and thanks for sharing pictures of it. Although as stated above the set doesn't appeal to me personally enough to make me want to buy one, it's still great to see one and also terrific that you were willing to share it on the Toy of the Week threads, so thank you :-)

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:11 pm

Graham_Marshall wrote:

Thanks

wow £300 is still a fantastic price, you can't get it for that kind of money today 8)

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:01 pm

I have the display from the Early Bird Certificate Package :D

P1170519.JPG
P1170519.JPG (95.46 KiB) Viewed 360 times

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”