Header image

Saggy Bottoms

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
MightyMike
Regular
Regular

Saggy Bottoms

Postby MightyMike » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:58 pm

So my dad made me keep all the boxes for the vehicles, unfortunately not the inserts. So although the art works are in good conditions some are a little saggy, and look rougher than they actually are. I guess 35 years in the attic we all may suffer a little

I would like to display some of them, has anyone made their own replacement inserts for support? My idea is just to get a shed load of corrugated card and cut 4 pieces out for the top/bottom/2 side

Any issues/advice with this? HAs anyone got any templates from doing it? The box would be empty so it can be as ugly and rough inside as it needs to be, I just don't want to spend the rest of my life (and money) doing it

tobeshadow
New User
New User

Re: Saggy Bottoms

Postby tobeshadow » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:55 pm

I've got a couple of larger boxes that were in the same condition! I just made some solid inserts from old cardboard and some gaffer tape. Not very pretty but you don't see it when the boxes are displayed and keeps them in shape! :)

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:59 pm

I've thought about doing this as I have a lot of boxed items without inserts from my childhood. I've decided to just get acrylic cases for the ones I want to display. They fit snug and can't flop about at all.

Only down side is it's more expensive but worth it if your displaying them. :)
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:43 pm

You can just get four pieces of stiff card, the same width as the box is deep. Cut two as long as the box and two as wide. Then cut two slits half way through the card a third of the way down on each piece. Then slot it all together so it looks like a 0’s and crosses grid from above. Put it in your box :)

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:47 pm

Weasel is an expert on Saggy Bottoms. Send him a pm.
Co-host, co-creator, director and stud of SW The Vintage Rebellion podcast
https://www.facebook.com/thevintagerebellion

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”