Header image

Becoming desensitised to money due to collecting?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: Becoming desensitised to money due to collecting?

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:19 pm

Sometimes I wish I could desensitise myself as I usually feel anxious before I buy something and guilty afterwards. I ask myself am I paying too much, will my money be safe in the purchase, could I sell it for the same price I payed for it. I can afford to buy the things I buy but it takes me a couple of months to properly settle after the purchase before I can enjoy ownership of the item. What worries me is when everything else is expensive but collecting is not.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

TrooperWill
Regular
Regular

Postby TrooperWill » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:44 pm

i know how you feel edd, for me, when prices took a massive jump, i looked elsewhere.

i now have a very nice loose m.a.s.k collection, and an even better real ghostbusters collection.between bits i had already picked up in joblots, trades for spares and a bit of wheeler dealing on double items,they have cost me next to nothing. they each take up an ikea detolf unit in the living room and are providing a real fix to the hobby bug. they are fantastically cheap compared to star wars, although mask is steadily creeping up, and its lovely to pick up big job-lots for 20-30 pounds. they are also more colourful and exciting in a lot of ways, being far more advanced and detailed figures that were being produced at the same time as or just after the star wars line, and all by kenner!
I prefer trading items to buying them, have a loose run, about half the ships/vehicles and all the mini-rigs, spent under £200 and have had a blast doing so. This hobby doesn't have to be about spending a mortgage deposit every month on one item

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:53 pm

TrooperWill wrote:i know how you feel edd, for me, when prices took a massive jump, i looked elsewhere.

i now have a very nice loose m.a.s.k collection, and an even better real ghostbusters collection.between bits i had already picked up in joblots, trades for spares and a bit of wheeler dealing on double items,they have cost me next to nothing. they each take up an ikea detolf unit in the living room and are providing a real fix to the hobby bug. they are fantastically cheap compared to star wars, although mask is steadily creeping up, and its lovely to pick up big job-lots for 20-30 pounds. they are also more colourful and exciting in a lot of ways, being far more advanced and detailed figures that were being produced at the same time as or just after the star wars line, and all by kenner!

Oh do post some pictures in the other vintage collections section in the Off Topic part of this forum of your non SW collection, I'd love to see it as I'm sure others would.

Ian

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”