Header image

Becoming desensitised to money due to collecting?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
MightyMike
Regular
Regular

Re: Becoming desensitised to money due to collecting?

Postby MightyMike » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:34 am

As a fairly new collector, the other half allowed me to finish off my loose collection a couple of years ago (I was 60% there with my childhood collection), I initially started by keeping to a budget but when I started to see the floating repro's starting to come out I must admit I panicked bought the last few just to try to minimise the potential risk and probably spent more. It did take the fun out of it a bit at that time

I've always had a budget for everything I do, and like most people here like to think their kids aren't missing out (my 4 yo has even has a pension scheme ffs). I generally limit myself to a monthly budget for clothes, going out and then spend the rest on Star Wars, the money would always get spent on something so I think SW is as legitimate as anything else. I've been able to self fund over the last few months by selling stuff I have bought and put in the attic for a later date.

After one Vintage Rebellion Podcast which mentioned a complete loose run would be £3000-3500 I asked the other how much she thought mine was - Her estimate was £300-400, if I die suddenly I suggest people travel to Cardiff quickly, you may just pick up a bargain!

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:02 pm

I feel one of the issues for me here is the ease in which I can purchase something. Money gets paid into my account and I can instantly hand over that money for something at the touch of a button, and it is likely that item can be in my collection in two days.

I wonder if it would make a difference to our collecting habits it we still had to write a cheque and send off for it, allowing us time to reflect on our proposed purchase, or further still if we had to physically withdraw money from the bank and hand it over.

I know it would make me think twice if I was actually physically handing over £1K of my hard earned cash for a VCJ :shock:

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:30 am

TheJabbaWookie wrote:I feel one of the issues for me here is the ease in which I can purchase something. Money gets paid into my account and I can instantly hand over that money for something at the touch of a button, and it is likely that item can be in my collection in two days.

Yes that's a good point, it often doesn't even feel like spending 'money' because you never see the hard cash, it's just numbers in a paypal account.

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:54 am

I used to be so frugal until PayPal came around. Even when eBay was first around the process of writing and sending a cheque made me think twice about spending large amounts. Now it’s at a click of a button and gone before you’ve even had a chance to think twice.

Also you’d never hand over vast amounts of money to someone you didn’t know without having the product you’re paying for in hand, but nowadays we don’t bat an eyelid at sending friends and family to a complete stranger with no protection if something goes south :shock:

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:12 am

TheJabbaWookie wrote:Also you’d never hand over vast amounts of money to someone you didn’t know without having the product you’re paying for in hand, but nowadays we don’t bat an eyelid at sending friends and family to a complete stranger with no protection if something goes south :shock:

A lot of people do, and sometimes it comes back to bite them. But I've always been quite wary of doing this and only send gift payments to people I know.

mr_palitoy
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby mr_palitoy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:16 am

edd_jedi wrote:
TheJabbaWookie wrote:Also you’d never hand over vast amounts of money to someone you didn’t know without having the product you’re paying for in hand, but nowadays we don’t bat an eyelid at sending friends and family to a complete stranger with no protection if something goes south :shock:

A lot of people do, and sometimes it comes back to bite them. But I've always been quite wary of doing this and only send gift payments to people I know.

Same here. It also covers any postage issues is something goes missing or is damaged.

cheers Jason
Many Bothans died to bring us this information...

Want Palitoy ESB 45A Back (Blue Circle Offer) 2-1B MOC and Palitoy ESB 30B cardbacks for first 12 figures

Mr Palitoy's Cardback Guide
http://www.freewebs.com/mrpalitoy

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:25 am

I've never spent beyond my means on anything, but I have always felt guilty about buying vintage stuff that's more than a couple of hundred pounds. The most I've ever spent on one item is £400 all in and I just didn't buy anything for ages after. The investment thing is something I've always used as a good reason and lets face it over the last 10 years you would have been better off investing in vintage Star Wars than putting the money in a high interest account. My problem is I never have any intention of selling anything, although you can never say never I really don't believe I will sell up. That said I always have in my mind if anything happened to me the wife would be able to sell most of it for more than I paid.

I'm not sure we will see a major price drop in our life time but that's just my opinion, knowone really can say either way. I have gone through times where I look at what I want to collect and really can't see me ever finishing the debut Kenner run, I mean Yakface, Anakin Skywalker and Boba Fett your talking about thousands. Although for me if I feel like I'm getting a good deal I will spend more than usual. So if a beater Anakin Skywalker became available for a good price I would find it hard to resist, but their would be a long cue I know!

Since having children I have struggled with the fact that many kids around the world die of hunger and poor medical care. Then there is me spending hundreds of pounds on old toys, would I really miss it and how much better would I feel if I donated that money to charity instead. But then again I work hard my family never go wanting for anything and life is pretty dull if you never treat yourself.

What I have done in the last year is started colllecting other items that are under the £20 mark, like card backs and also Hoth Rebel Soldiers. I find a lot of the satisfaction comes from knowing something is in the post and the difference in feeling from waiting for a loose beater to a MOC actually isn't much for me.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

mr_palitoy
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby mr_palitoy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:26 am

mr_palitoy wrote:
edd_jedi wrote:

Same here. It also covers any postage issues if something goes missing or is damaged.

cheers Jason
Many Bothans died to bring us this information...

Want Palitoy ESB 45A Back (Blue Circle Offer) 2-1B MOC and Palitoy ESB 30B cardbacks for first 12 figures

Mr Palitoy's Cardback Guide
http://www.freewebs.com/mrpalitoy

smarchitelli
New User
New User

Postby smarchitelli » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:34 pm

One that always gets to me is that I can spend $100s of dollars for an item online with no issues (via eBay, FaceBook, etc.) but when at an actual toy show, with physical cash in hand (and with the actual item in hand as well), it ALWAYS is much more difficult to justify purchasing said item.

spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby spoons » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:19 pm

smarchitelli wrote:One that always gets to me is that I can spend $100s of dollars for an item online with no issues (via eBay, FaceBook, etc.) but when at an actual toy show, with physical cash in hand (and with the actual item in hand as well), it ALWAYS is much more difficult to justify purchasing said item.

Totally relate to that. My heart was pounding first time I paid a lot in person at a show
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

coomber75
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby coomber75 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:28 pm

for me its a tricky one, I'm uber cautious about money, i have a separate account for sw and rarely go past that, in fact it's the sage words of my wife who reminds me its money, we have enough and I should enjoy it... if not for her would have a very different collection :lol:

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Dannywhiteley » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:35 am

smarchitelli wrote:One that always gets to me is that I can spend $100s of dollars for an item online with no issues (via eBay, FaceBook, etc.) but when at an actual toy show, with physical cash in hand (and with the actual item in hand as well), it ALWAYS is much more difficult to justify purchasing said item.

Probably because the toy show is 2x cost of ebay

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Dannywhiteley » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:47 am

Over the years you just get used to spending more on stuff and as your working career (hopefully) progresses you have a little more disposable income to support it.

I remember my first £10, £100, £500 and recently £1k purchases. Each one a milestone, but justified if you are getting a decent deal that at least won't depreciate significantly in the next few years. Time to consider that purchase and recoup if needs be (as long as you spent wisely initially).

Don't get me wrong, the instant cashless payments really help, but for the most part I consider it relative to other things. I have a separate collecting account, and no one goes without. I can always sell something if needs be, thats what allows me to be honest with my wife about any high end purchases I make. I'm actually selling a few bits currently to reduce a small debt I deliberately allowed to build up over the last 12 months as I purchased a few things I knew I could recover costs later on. No panic or guilt.

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:19 pm

Interesting subject matter Edd & something I have found myself considering more & more over the last couple of years, I've been at this a while now & when I first got into collecting again I did the buy anything & everything thing we most have & had a right jumble of stuff which did not feel right, when I dropped on my 1st ever baggies totally by accident in a mission to try to find the last few figures for my loose run I found that something that really felt right to me & I offloaded pretty much everything else bar my run of loose figures.

Now at the time it was great as it was an area of the hobby not many seemed to care about & baggies & even multi packs were cheap & plentiful, that coupled with the fact I was delving into an area of collecting there were still many many things to be learned & discovered really drove my collecting bug onward, through the years I've learned a lot & had a lot of fun in the finding out & documenting everything as I go, it really has been a joy & I have had a lot of fun with it & made some good collecting friends through the process, everything felt right.

Sadly in the last few years the prices have skyrocketed even that of what were once cheap & plentiful items that most had little to no interest in at the time & all the fakes coupled with the expense & scarcity of items has been making me reevaluate what I am doing with my focus, I have always been on a pretty tight budget but have invested some large chunks on long term payment plans when those special items have come up that I know I will likely never see again or at least not within my budget, I've been very lucky in terms of getting things at the right time & at the right price, but over the last 2 years this has done quite the turnabout & nothing seems to be available without doing some serious saving & I find myself questioning my collection, don't get me wrong I still love it & the family are never short of anything as anything I spend on my collecting is not cash intended for bills & such, but the collecting has turned very much to a slow trickle at best & TBH I am happy about it with prices the way they are now.

I still buy the odd price if infrequently but have also started to collect a few other modern bits which have been on clearance in discount stores, never thought I would see the day of me buying modern, but TBF the new 3.75" figures are dam good & seem to marry well with the vintage, I'm only on imperials & droids, but they have been making me just as happy & quashing the bug to add as much as a 2k multi pack would & that feels really good & lets face it, thats what it's about.

So that in tern thats made me think long & hard about the bigger ticket items I have sat there & if I should think about it being time to let some of it go & free up funds which could be wiser spent, kids will soon be at the point of leaving home & needing things like deposits & a car etc etc so & getting away with the other half more before my health issues limit what we can do even more.

In real terms I have thought about it & told myself not too be daft as I love the stuff & had so much fun over the years collecting it, but it may well be I should keep thinking about what I am doing & when enough is enough, oh the conundrum of collecting these days eh guys :lol:
If there's a bright spark to the center of the galaxy, we're on the planet it's furthest from.

yoda
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby yoda » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:07 pm

Hopefully things level out, I've lost all interest myself at the moment regarding collecting vintage Star Wars. I hope price is the reason for this but I'm not sure.
I don't flush the toilet, I scare the shit out of it. ~Chuck Norris~
Age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind ~Jackie Joyner-Kersee~
Arf arf arf... That's my other dog imitation. ~Sgt. Oddball~

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”