Header image

where to start, after selling collection 15 years ago

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
veers77
New User
New User

where to start, after selling collection 15 years ago

Postby veers77 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:21 am

looking for general advice and info on best way to start collecting again as i sold my collection around 15 years. im basically looking for loose vintage figures and vehicles in fairly good condition c7.5-10 with original accessories, not carded or in graded cases as i liked to use them in dioramas and displays.

im a bit hesitant to use ebay as there seems to be a lot of sales for repro weapons and accessories and after reading a few threads on this site seems they are a lot better these days. so if i wanted to avoid repros entirely or almost can anyone recommend some online stores that are reputable or some ebay sellers with a good reputation and stock. id prefer if it was a uk seller, but would like any recommendations on ones further afield if they have a good supply. any info much appreciated.

also can anyone recommend www.vintagestarwarscollectables.co.uk www.toydreams.co.uk ?

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: where to start, after selling collection 15 years ago

Postby Pomse2001 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:18 pm

veers77 wrote:looking for general advice and info on best way to start collecting again as i sold my collection around 15 years. im basically looking for loose vintage figures and vehicles in fairly good condition c7.5-10 with original accessories, not carded or in graded cases as i liked to use them in dioramas and displays.

im a bit hesitant to use ebay as there seems to be a lot of sales for repro weapons and accessories and after reading a few threads on this site seems they are a lot better these days. so if i wanted to avoid repros entirely or almost can anyone recommend some online stores that are reputable or some ebay sellers with a good reputation and stock. id prefer if it was a uk seller, but would like any recommendations on ones further afield if they have a good supply. any info much appreciated.

also can anyone recommend http://www.vintagestarwarscollectables.co.uk http://www.toydreams.co.uk ?

We have a sales thread on the forum, you can always try to buy the items you need here, we do not sell repro on the forum, we have rules about that, see link viewforum.php?f=4 :wink:

and if there is something you are looking for then you can ask for it on this link viewforum.php?f=8 and if any on the forum have the items you are looking for then they will contact you for a sale :wink:

stu70
Regular
Regular

Postby stu70 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:19 pm

Don't discount eBay completely, although there are a lot of vintage repop weapons and accessories listed on there it's probably still the best place to pick figures and vehicles up, ask the seller questions and if you are still unsure whether something is genuine or not move on. You can also post up questions on here if you need advice or a second opinion on something.

There are numerous Facebook groups but I'm not on Facebook so couldn't really say what they are like for sales or prices or give you any advice.

Of the 2 site links I think the first may sell through eBay anyway, the name seems to ring a bell, I'm not sure how old the toydreams site is but all the prices seem pretty low/out of date. C9 complete Princess Leia for £35.00, you wouldn't be able to buy her weapon for that now, C9 boxed Palitoy Empire Falcon for £110.00, C9 Blue Snaggletooth for £150.00 etc, so it's probably long defunct.

Hope this helps a bit. :)
Last edited by stu70 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi, welcome. There’s nothing wrong with eBay, it’s just a selling site. Best thing to do before you start buying anything is learn the difference between vintage and repro and educate yourself a little about what you’re buying and current prices. If you see original weapons for a good price, buy them! Just be patient, watch loads and loads of listings, buy a little, take your time. You used to collect, you’ll be fine. And enjoy it :)
WTB:http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22406
Collection:http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22046

tobeshadow
New User
New User

Postby tobeshadow » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:01 pm

Welcome back to collecting Veers77! If you're looking to collect loose, I highly recommend local car boot/jumble sales. Vintage Star Wars is harder to find for bargain prices these days but there are still some great bits out there! Toy fairs are good too but you will inevitably pay more at these. My town has a few antique shops that sell vintage toys now and again too. Again, the prices vary from very good to rather steep! The main thing is to have fun with it! :)

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:17 pm

My advice is the same as has already been mentioned, and that is to learn all that you can and to keep an eye out for bargains everywhere.
You can find bargains on eBay, toy fairs, charity shops, here and even Facebook :shock: ,you just have to realise a bargain when it presents itself and grab it; hence the need for education.
But most of all, enjoy it, it’s meant to be fun after all!

Taffius
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Taffius » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:00 pm

veers77 wrote:looking for general advice and info on best way to start collecting again as i sold my collection around 15 years. im basically looking for loose vintage figures and vehicles in fairly good condition c7.5-10 with original accessories, not carded or in graded cases as i liked to use them in dioramas and displays.

also can anyone recommend http://www.vintagestarwarscollectables.co.uk http://www.toydreams.co.uk ?

10 months ago I got some great advice that I was slow to pick up on:
Patience - it will come around again at a price you feel happy with.
Buy complete if you can - from sources that protect against U grading and repro.
Focus - on what you want to collect and resist drift.

Sellers here are great at apraising and value for money. eBay has some great buying potential but research is key.

Hope that helps a little but most will advise similar.

poncho
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby poncho » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:32 am

spend little
enjoy the hunt
take your time!
if in doubt ask

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”