Header image

Who's Who - Introduce yourself!

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
jpjsavage
New User
New User

Re: Who's Who - Introduce yourself!

Postby jpjsavage » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:16 am

Mini99 wrote:
jpjsavage wrote:
Mini99 wrote:Welcome Jonathan, many thanks for sharing the pictures of your collection, you have some very nice pieces.
Particularly like the way that you have displayed the Topps cards and the pencil drawing of the Tie.

Meant to say, the Topps cards were a fun project. I used those plastic holder things and then had an artist friend of mine (who is also a framer) to make up the frame itself. It is pretty massive and cost a fortune ( :D ) but I'm glad you think they look good. The kids love looking at them as they are about their height and I remember collecting them back in the day too! These pieces create great conversations and it is lovely that it has become a truly inter-generational passion for us all to share.

That’s the best way to display Topps cards that I have ever seen, I bet they weren’t cheap, even if they were made by a friend, lucky you.

Thanks. It is fun to see them all together but it was a bit of shame we couldn't get them all in numerical order (what with some being landscape and some portrait etc). Still, at least it will preserve them well!

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:20 pm

jpjsavage wrote:Hi everyone, I'm Jonathan and I've built up a collection of Star Wars art work in recent years which I display in a music rehearsal studio. I got a lot of this through purchases and trades through a watch forum (I also enjoy buying and selling watches). I'm in my late 40s and remember watching the first Star Wars films as a youngster. Like many of you I"m sure, they made a big impression on me.

Anyway, I'm sure posts benefit from pictures so here are some of the bits and pieces I've collected so far. They include a set of the Joe Johnston and Ralph McQuarrie 'supersnipe' lithographs, some tickets from the first screening of the Empire Strikes Back, some storyboards from the ROTJ and some more modern stuff too. I hope I can learn more from you all about collecting this stuff!

Anyway, enough waffle. Here are some pictures (including a random one of another famous musician and artist who we love):

Welcome Jonathan to the forum, it looks great, great collection you have 8)

MightyMike
Regular
Regular

Postby MightyMike » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:42 pm

Just thought I would post a quick Introduction, having recently joined

Probably like a lot of people I'm of a certain age to have had played with most of the stuff during the OT. Luckily my parents kept all my figures and ships (my dad kept all the boxes too). Well about 6 months ago the other half allowed me to finish off my loose collection and they are currently in a 'holding cell' away from a cat and a 4 year old until I can work out a way to display it properly. And I'm in the UK (Cardiff)

At the moment I'm chasing down some of the ships/playsets I never had. I'd much rather at the stage to be able to hold one that have it sealed away as a financial investment.

Anyway I think I've managed to attach a picture of my loose collection

IMG_E5050.JPG
IMG_E5050.JPG (139.65 KiB) Viewed 655 times

Darkest_Logic
Regular
Regular

Postby Darkest_Logic » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:43 pm

Welcome to all the new users :).
Looking For
(AFA / UKG) Tri logo Luke Skywalker Stormtrooper MOC
(AFA / UKG) Tri logo R2-D2 Pop-up Lightsabre MOC
(AFA / UKG) Tri logo Emperors Royal Guard MOC

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:01 am

MightyMike wrote:Just thought I would post a quick Introduction, having recently joined

Probably like a lot of people I'm of a certain age to have had played with most of the stuff during the OT. Luckily my parents kept all my figures and ships (my dad kept all the boxes too). Well about 6 months ago the other half allowed me to finish off my loose collection and they are currently in a 'holding cell' away from a cat and a 4 year old until I can work out a way to display it properly. And I'm in the UK (Cardiff)

At the moment I'm chasing down some of the ships/playsets I never had. I'd much rather at the stage to be able to hold one that have it sealed away as a financial investment.

Anyway I think I've managed to attach a picture of my loose collection

IMG_E5050.JPG

Hi MightyMike, welcome to the forum, thanks for sharing that great picture of your collection. I love how you display it :wink:

Stubbs
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Stubbs » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:07 am

Welcome Mighty Mike

Looks like your almost there with the loose run of figure's you have a few big ones R2D2 pop up saber and a blue snag. Nice one

MightyMike
Regular
Regular

Postby MightyMike » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:09 pm

Thanks,

I think they're all there, the case is a little too small (97, I haven't worried about variations - at this stage...). There are a couple I would like to replace, Warok/Lumat (I forget which one) has the wrong bow, Stormmie Luke has a blue/black blaster

Stubbs
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Stubbs » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:19 pm

MightyMike wrote:Thanks,

I think they're all there, the case is a little too small (97, I haven't worried about variations - at this stage...). There are a couple I would like to replace, Warok/Lumat (I forget which one) has the wrong bow, Stormmie Luke has a blue/black blaster

My Luke stormy also has a blue/black blaster and i am happy to keep it that way. An original black
blaster is now demanding £100. Crazy

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:11 pm

MightyMike wrote:Thanks,

The Black one as far as I know was sold on potf cards in usa, the trilogo was sold with the blue/black blaster, I have seen a few moc where the blue/blaster is on the tri-logo. I have also found a few luke stormies in childhood lots and I have never found a black stormie blaster in a childhood lot, but I have found a lot of blue/black blasters :wink: So it is not the wrong blaster for luke stormie :wink:

MightyMike
Regular
Regular

Postby MightyMike » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:06 pm

Thanks for thank, goes to show how much I need to learn.

Looks like you've saved a £100 already!

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:59 pm

Great loose run MightyMike, they all look in great condition.
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your time here.

Ruby2511
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Ruby2511 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:42 pm

Hi MightyMike

Welcome to the forum, like how you have displayed your figures 8)

Russ :D
Russ

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:39 am

MightyMike wrote:Thanks for thank, goes to show how much I need to learn.

Looks like you've saved a £100 already!

I am glad that I could help, we are all still learning :D If you want to learn more and share pictures of your collection then you should read the Star Wars Toy of the Week threads on the forum, you are also welcome to share pictures of your items in the threads :wink:

airbornenick
New User
New User

Postby airbornenick » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:15 pm

Hi all.

I’m weeks back into the loose collecting scene again after regretfully selling the vast majority of my almost complete loose collection 5 years ago. This was in order to raise funds for a property purchase and anything that I deemed a ‘luxery’ had to go!

I’m now in the fortunate position to have reaped the benefit of that investment and I’m now eager to complete what I was so close to last time. I’m back up to 57 loose figures after buying a good number from John (aka Darth Doodoo) a few weeks ago. Incidentally John is a top guy who has an awesome collection and someone who I would absolutely recommend if buying from him.

Not surprisingly I’m mainly after figures from the initial 12 and last 17 runs. They must be in very good or mint condition with original accessories and be able to stand well enough for display. I intend to branch out into vehicles soon but my priority is figures in the short term.

I’ve been really impressed with this forum so far and the knowledge of some of the collectors here is nothing but impressive. I’m wary of buying from eBay unless I really have to as there are so many idiot sellers on there. I’ve been reassured having now bought on this site it’s not the case here so I’m always on the lookout to expand my collection using this site from now on.

I look forward to completing my collection soon- if there are any loose figure sellers out there please point them in my direction! I’m in Colchester in Essex and if there’s a good deal out there I’m not afraid to drive to make it in person!

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:28 am

Welcome to the forum airbornenick. I wish you good luck with the hunt for the last figures you are missing :wink: I hope you find them soon on the forum :D

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”