Header image

What baffled you most about the toys as a kid?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
User avatar
indianawars
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1285
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:20 am
Location: Surrey, England
Contact:

What baffled you most about the toys as a kid?

Postby indianawars » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:31 am

So I never understood why Luke Bespin came with a yellow lightsaber! As a kid, I was convinced that I had a special Luke until every other kid had a yellow lightsaber with their Luke Bespin. I still have no idea what the reason was they decided to go with a yellow lightsaber, but as a kid, it baffled the hell out of me.

Was anybody else confused by a particular toy?

User avatar
theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 5059
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: What baffled you most about the toys as a kid?

Postby theforceuk » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:08 am

Could never understand how my Mum and Dad didn't just let me have everything. :lol:
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

User avatar
lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 4893
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:34 am
Contact:

Re: What baffled you most about the toys as a kid?

Postby lejackal » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:42 am

Why Luke X Wing had black hair, I didn’t know until adulthood that it’s a visor and not hair :oops:

User avatar
subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2884
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: What baffled you most about the toys as a kid?

Postby subzero » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:59 am

theforceuk wrote:Could never understand how my Mum and Dad didn't just let me have everything. :lol:


2kqhff.jpg
2kqhff.jpg (74.99 KiB) Viewed 416 times


:lol:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

User avatar
subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2884
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: What baffled you most about the toys as a kid?

Postby subzero » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:02 am

The only things I remember thinking as a kid was why is Darth Vader so skinny, and why is the Black Bespin Guard so impossibly black. :lol:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

User avatar
Taffius
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:26 am
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: What baffled you most about the toys as a kid?

Postby Taffius » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:33 am

Why they wouldnt stand properly, espically on carpet! Spent more time trying to make them stand than anything else! :lol:

MightyMike
Regular
Regular
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:06 pm

Re: What baffled you most about the toys as a kid?

Postby MightyMike » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:24 am

The Die Cast Twin Cloud Car caused me issues. Were they on the side of the empire or the rebels? It was also the wrong size to fit in with the rest of the toys!

In the end I used to grip the central strut and pretend it was a hand gun

User avatar
Crumm
Regular
Regular
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: What baffled you most about the toys as a kid?

Postby Crumm » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:47 pm

The Star Destroyer play set.

I just couldn't get my head around it...Thought it looked so weird.

The mini-rigs also caused me some issues...I just remember thinking "that wasn't in the film", I don't think I fully grasped the concept of them :lol:

A few other small issues I had (OCD coming out now):

Boba fett's rocket is the wrong shape and it is red
Wrong blasters/ weapons with certain figures
Where is Tarkin?
How the pilot's area of the Falcon is separate to the rest of the ship (I wanted it to all be connected inside :lol: )

Ahhhhh, my mis-spent youth. I wish I only had stuff like that to worry about nowadays.
"How much you wanna bet I could throw a football over them mountains!"

User avatar
Ruby2511
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 738
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:58 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire

Re: What baffled you most about the toys as a kid?

Postby Ruby2511 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:43 pm

Crumm wrote:The Star Destroyer play set.

I just couldn't get my head around it...Thought it looked so weird.

The mini-rigs also caused me some issues...I just remember thinking "that wasn't in the film", I don't think I fully grasped the concept of them :lol:

A few other small issues I had (OCD coming out now):

Boba fett's rocket is the wrong shape and it is red
Wrong blasters/ weapons with certain figures
Where is Tarkin?
How the pilot's area of the Falcon is separate to the rest of the ship (I wanted it to all be connected inside :lol: )

Ahhhhh, my mis-spent youth. I wish I only had stuff like that to worry about nowadays.


:lol: :lol: :lol:
Russ

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

User avatar
Ruby2511
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 738
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:58 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire

Re: What baffled you most about the toys as a kid?

Postby Ruby2511 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:51 pm

subzero wrote:The only things I remember thinking as a kid was why is Darth Vader so skinny, and why is the Black Bespin Guard so impossibly black. :lol:


I know what you mean about Vader, he is a bit camp :lol:

What baffled me was the amount of wire that was used to tie toys to their inner packaging or screwed to the inner packaging .......why :?:

I remember spending ages unwrapping my girls Bratz dolls and sylvanian families at Christmas :lol:
Russ

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

User avatar
bosk70
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 459
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:08 pm

Re: What baffled you most about the toys as a kid?

Postby bosk70 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:04 pm

[How the pilot's area of the Falcon is separate to the rest of the ship (I wanted it to all be connected inside :lol: )






As a kid I always wanted to rip out the cardboard wall of the falcon so I could hide figures in there and wondered what was behind there, all that wasted space, luckily I didn't and still have it intact today, I think it was a close one thou.
I was just as confused by the boba fett heads on the snow speeder box, cut them out ready for an offer, still have them now,,,, was there ever one ?????? :?
Vintage Star Wars helping me stay sane since 1977

Vintage40
New User
New User
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:31 pm

Re: What baffled you most about the toys as a kid?

Postby Vintage40 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:21 pm

Most baffling would be that despite the toys being wonderful, the original boxes were poisonous to my parents and were far too dangerous to keep!

User avatar
StarWarsFan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2837
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: What baffled you most about the toys as a kid?

Postby StarWarsFan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:49 pm

Why a lot of figures came with the completely wrong weapons. Also why the colours were wrong. No Han Stormtrooper, no cloud city play sets.

User avatar
subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2884
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: What baffled you most about the toys as a kid?

Postby subzero » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:20 pm

Ruby2511 wrote:
subzero wrote:The only things I remember thinking as a kid was why is Darth Vader so skinny, and why is the Black Bespin Guard so impossibly black. :lol:


I know what you mean about Vader, he is a bit camp :lol:

What baffled me was the amount of wire that was used to tie toys to their inner packaging or screwed to the inner packaging .......why :?:

I remember spending ages unwrapping my girls Bratz dolls and sylvanian families at Christmas :lol:


I used to hate that damn wire :evil: you tear all the packaging open only to find more obstacles. :lol:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

User avatar
Section 8
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1037
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: What baffled you most about the toys as a kid?

Postby Section 8 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:11 am

Why did scalextric need so many expensive big fuck off batteries to run and to have them run out in no time at all.

If I remember correctly my scalextric needed 8 of the big fat batteries.
"Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding."


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests