Palitoy Prototypes!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Some Palitoy prototypes have apparently turned up, including a very cool alternate sculpt Luke Jedi. Unfortunately the video is on Facebook so I can't share it here, but they are on display at this exhibition:

https://www.visitleicester.info/whats-on/may-the-toys-be-with-you-p733311

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Just seen this...frickin amazing find!! I hope there will be other chances to see these though.

I think that sculpt of Luke Jedi, the head anyway, looks better than the production version.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Here's a quick screenshot:

ED63A72D-506F-44BB-9C1F-DEAB9599CFD0.jpeg

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Do you think it's real. I can't access FB because of the Chinese. What's the story? Surly a Blue Harvest job?

lejackal

Grand Master
I think it's fantastic, but having done zero research and this being the internet I have an opinion :lol:

Why would Palitoy have had their own prototypes when at that stage they were, to my knowledge, just packing figures produced in HK/Taiwan etc?

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Grant_C said:
Do you think it's real. I can't access FB because of the Chinese. What's the story? Surly a Blue Harvest job?

100% real, with rock solid provenance.

These have been unearthed by the former palitoy tooling manager and we're in his possession.

5 Kenner hard copies sent to palitoy to aid with the construction of moulds, as confirmed by the former palitoy chief engineer as well.

The Luke Jedi is an alternative sculpt as well.

You will love this when you get to see it.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Grant_C said:
Do you think it's real.

That was my first thought too, they actually look "too good to be true," but apparently they check out and are being backed up by the likes of Ron Salvatore.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
About time, sick of those yanks having everything :D

So if these were sent for that purpose it begs the question of why Palitoy ROTJ cards say made in Hong Kong??

This hobby never ceases to amaze me. Amazing find, probably the most significant ever in terms of Palitoy. How long before they are auctioned off for a bucket load.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Love this, the Luke looks amazing! Are they going to come up for sale?

Unbelievable!!! 8) :shock: :eek:

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
And all because one of the Bobs got a new ladder.

We should be buying ladders for all ex palitoy employees!

:)

Jason

subzero

Sith Lord
Amazing, and almost 40 years later, incredible find, looking forward to watching this vid. :)

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
This is an awesome find, for those not on FB I'm copying some of the info provided by Matt Fox (BonsaiTreeEnt on here) - these finds are being displayed at his exhibition May The Toys Be With You in Leicester. The video confirms that these are Kenner produced hard copies which were sent to Palitoy, and used to make copper beryllium mounds which could then be used to produce the figures for retail.

"AMAZING NEWS: PALITOY PROTOTYPES FOUND! (video needs sound). Five 'hardcopies' have been discovered in Coalville and are now on display in the former Palitoy Factory as part of May The Toys Be With You exhibition. I hope the community shares in the excitement that I felt and enjoys the video that talks a bit about the discovery! Out of security consideration for these being displayed in a public space please refrain from discussion of value. These prototypes and more are free to view and enjoy from 2nd Nov to 10th Nov at Rothley House, Coalville Business Park, LE67 3NR. Additionally, Sat Nov 3rd 5pm author and collector Craig Stevens is delivering a talk, and Sat Nov 10th 5pm Bob Brechin and former Palitoy staffers are hosting a Q+A (tickets free, google 'Palitoy Eventbrite' to pre-book). Big thanks also to Ron Salvatore for advising on this find. New discoveries and great times for the hobby!"

"As I understand it, Palitoy received figures in bulk from the Far East for Star Wars and ESB toy lines - they packaged them in Coalville but weren't involved in the tooling of figures (they did tool the vehicles and playsets, and in fact I have a schematic from 1979 showing UK tooling of the Darth Vader TIE Fighter). When it came to 1982/83 there was a move towards 'consolidation' of the European operation - as we know Bi-Logo / Tri-Logo - and at this time Palitoy bore a bigger load. Hence the tooling of ROTJ figures for the European operation being handled through Palitoy. I believe the Beryllium moulds were still sent to the Far East though rather than figures made in UK. This may not be entirely gospel, and I'd probably need to quiz them over more specifics about what happened where and when but this was my interpretation."

"I believe there is some shrinkage when making the moulds, which necessitate the hardcopies being that bit bigger than the final figure."

Cardbackkid

Jedi Master
AndyPreston said:
This is an awesome find, for those not on FB I'm copying some of the info provided by Matt Fox (BonsaiTreeEnt on here) - these finds are being displayed at his exhibition May The Toys Be With You in Leicester. The video confirms that these are Kenner produced hard copies which were sent to Palitoy, and used to make copper beryllium mounds which could then be used to produce the figures for retail.

AMAZING NEWS: PALITOY PROTOTYPES FOUND! (video needs sound). Five 'hardcopies' have been discovered in Coalville and are now on display in the former Palitoy Factory as part of May The Toys Be With You exhibition. I hope the community shares in the excitement that I felt and enjoys the video that talks a bit about the discovery! Out of security consideration for these being displayed in a public space please refrain from discussion of value. These prototypes and more are free to view and enjoy from 2nd Nov to 10th Nov at Rothley House, Coalville Business Park, LE67 3NR. Additionally, Sat Nov 3rd 5pm author and collector Craig Stevens is delivering a talk, and Sat Nov 10th 5pm Bob Brechin and former Palitoy staffers are hosting a Q+A (tickets free, google 'Palitoy Eventbrite' to pre-book). Big thanks also to Ron Salvatore for advising on this find. New discoveries and great times for the hobby!

As I understand it, Palitoy received figures in bulk from the Far East for Star Wars and ESB toy lines - they packaged them in Coalville but weren't involved in the tooling of figures (they did tool the vehicles and playsets, and in fact I have a schematic from 1979 showing UK tooling of the Darth Vader TIE Fighter). When it came to 1982/83 there was a move towards 'consolidation' of the European operation - as we know Bi-Logo / Tri-Logo - and at this time Palitoy bore a bigger load. Hence the tooling of ROTJ figures for the European operation being handled through Palitoy. I believe the Beryllium moulds were still sent to the Far East though rather than figures made in UK. This may not be entirely gospel, and I'd probably need to quiz them over more specifics about what happened where and when but this was my interpretation.

I believe there is some shrinkage when making the moulds, which necessitate the hardcopies being that bit bigger than the final figure.

So does this mean the moulds was made at the palitoy factory but the production of the figures was not?

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
That's what is being suggested, yes - but Matt has said that more research is needed to confirm how the process worked.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
These came originally from Kenner so in that sense it checks out - that and the alternate sculpt (WOW) even Ree Yees looks cool.

The Q&A next Saturday is going to be AMAZING. 1st proper opportunity to quiz the right kind of people about the production processes at Palitoy.

I'm certainly hoping to be there.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Hello boys, and thanks for sharing the link and details. I would have put them on here yesterday but it was a busy one! Like pretty much all of the regulars here I have a good expertise and first hand knowledge of vintage collecting, but prototypes are a bit more niche and I only really know about them from listening to bits and bobs on the Vintage Rebellion and a few pics in books... so to have Roger Morrison come in last week and hand me these hardcopies was quite a thrill. The weight, the detail and solidity of them is noticeably different to regular plastic figures. I've called them 'Palitoy Prototypes' but really they're Kenner made hardcopies that were sent to England as tooling aids - so I guess they're a bit of both. It was also a privilege to listen to Roger and Bob reminiscing and laughing about 'the old days'. If any of you guys want to check the hardcopies out they're on display now at Rothley House in Coalville Business Park till Nov 10th (open from 10.30am free to visit), and next Saturday there will even be a Q+A from 5pm with Bob Brechin, Roger Morrison and at least two other former Palitoy workers. I'm planning to be there too, so please do say 'hello'. There aren't a huge number of seats so I'd recommend booking on Eventbrite, here is the link: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-palitoy-and-star-wars-story-tickets-51970215313

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom