Deformed Bubbles Observations (65 backs and earlier)

Hod10

Padawan
Hi there,

I just wondered if anyone has advice or insight as to what sometimes appears to be slightly melted or deformed bubbles on figures heat sealed with the waffle pattern. Was there scope in the factories during the vacuum in the making of bubbles or during the heat sealing process itself for bubbles to catch wind of too much heat? The effect being a wavy and / or a rippled effect to the shape of the bubble? Much like an enlarged effect that the bubbles very edge has where it meets flush with the card going into the heat sealed waffled area.

Or is this nearly always thought to be likely tampering of some sort? (Such as the hairdryer technique I've read about when trying to remove dents from bubbles).

Thoughts appreciated as I know of one I've been considering buying. AFA 80 graded, Card 85 / Bubble 75 / Figure 85

Quite similar to this pic I've attached

Thanks!

39F6AFE9-BA49-42C7-8422-F618705281EC.jpeg

Hod10

Padawan
Yep, could be. I would of thought that dents and dings aside, bubbles could of easily left factories for stores with other defects. Hard to find evidence of this as it's hard to prove I guess. A bubble grade of 75 suggests it hasn't been deemed to be tampered with was my thinking. If it's a factory defect I don't mind but tampering of any sort puts me off. Tricky

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Hod10 said:
Yep, could be. I would of thought that dents and dings aside, bubbles could of easily left factories for stores with other defects. Hard to find evidence of this as it's hard to prove I guess. A bubble grade of 75 suggests it hasn't been deemed to be tampered with was my thinking. If it's a factory defect I don't mind but tampering of any sort puts me off. Tricky
I would have thought that it would have been refused grading if it had been tampered with?

Hod10

Padawan
Mini99 said:
Hod10 said:
I would have thought that it would have been refused grading if it had been tampered with?

Yep, a bit conflicted about it it's actually giving me headaches :D . Definitely appears misshaped and rippled, slanted down on the one side. Yet also very tidy I can't see why someone would of bothered to fix it or maybe they did a good job. Wish I had pics.

Hod10

Padawan
Quite similar to a post from 2014... http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=20133

Add a 75 grade to that.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
It used to be pretty common to remove price stickers with a hairdryer, all it takes it a lapse in concentration for a second and you've melted the bubble

Hod10

Padawan
Excessive heat very likely but at what stage I'm not so sure. They could of very easily left factories with these defects. Lights from displays maybe might explain the graded ones?! It just seems especially common across the top of the bubbles in particular. Another interesting one here... http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2015/return-of-the-nigo-n09402/lot.23.html

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom