SWTOTW, Week 50, 2018, Part 1/2 General Madine

Pomse2001

Grand Master
General Madine:

General Madine.jpg

It is now 50 weeks since I started Star Wars Toy of the Week and I must it has been fantastic to see all the beautiful items in so many members collections 8) Thanks guys for all the great pictures, the great info about the toy and all the great stories about the toy :wink:

apack7229

Sith Lord
Here's my group. The cut bubble is opened on two side but the staff is still taped to the bubble.

Attachments

• E4A3C81C-5725-4B05-A05A-71F6FF07B091.jpeg
    E4A3C81C-5725-4B05-A05A-71F6FF07B091.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,831
  • 699B0E70-C4C0-4159-8EED-A4F41002F1A3.jpeg
    699B0E70-C4C0-4159-8EED-A4F41002F1A3.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 1,835
  • A39D1A8A-C265-4C17-ACCC-323AE94CEF37.jpeg
    A39D1A8A-C265-4C17-ACCC-323AE94CEF37.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 1,833
  • 5E3270D0-F902-4ED2-903D-D3D2BC9A6C0F.jpeg
    5E3270D0-F902-4ED2-903D-D3D2BC9A6C0F.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 1,838

Pomse2001

Grand Master
apack7229 said:
Here's my group. The cut bubble is opened on two side but the staff is still taped to the bubble.

ok that is what I call an army of cardbacks :lol: 8) lovely collection of cardbacks and figures, also a nice cut bubble 8) thanks mate for sharing your awesome collection :D is the other a moc ?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
apack7229 said:
Great collection! An impressive array of cardbacks and figures.

Thanks for sharing :)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
OK Lars, it's time for Mr Exciting himself, is it? Surely every child's favourite figure, General Madine was at the very forefront of both the film and every childhood Star Wars playtime adventure!... Or not.

Why in God's name did Kenner choose this tedious offering over a Slave Leia, a Y-Wing Pilot, an Ishi Tib, a Gargan or an Oola?! They could have made any of those characters (hell, they could have made *ANY* other character!), but instead they chose to make this POS; a character so dull and boring he makes John Major look like Indiana Jones. I bet most kids wouldn't even remember him from the film (Madine, not Indiana or John ;-))! And then, just in case any child anywhere in the cosmos was still labouring under the impression there might be something remotely interesting about him, they dispensed with his brown jacket and made it grey instead; a perfect visual metaphor for tedium if ever there was one!

You might have guessed this isn't a favourite figure of mine ;-). However, I will say this much for it; it is, quite astonishingly, responsible for one of the rarest carded variants out there, in its Tri-Logo version. Plus, the figure itself does actually have some vaguely interesting loose variants, if you like that sort of thing... which I do! :-D

Jokes aside, this figure holds the dubious distinction of being the first MOC I ever owned after I started collecting again in the early 90's. Way back in the late 1980's, I was amazed to find a pair of carded Madines whilst rummaging in my mother's bedroom drawers for some sellotape. I wasn't collecting again yet, but I was still astonished to find them there and so I asked her what she was doing with them. She replied she'd bought them cheaply and thought they might make nice presents for some young lads. I rolled my eyes at that, and felt very sorry for the poor sod who was randomly given a General Madine as a present years after the films had ended! Little was I to know it at the time, but it turned out that I was one of those poor sods, as when, a few years later, I did start collecting again, my mother still had one of them and was quite happy to offload it onto me!

And here it is! A mint Palitoy 65B twin-stemmed General Madine that spent years of its existence languishing unloved in a drawer :-D

General Excitement - 01.jpg

And here are three loose variants. From left to right, a Hong Kong moulded face, light grey hair, light brown belt. A Taiwan moulded face, green-grey hair, dark brown belt. And lastly, a Hong Kong, painted face, dark grey hair, dark brown belt:

General Excitement - 02.jpg

General Excitement - 03.jpg

And just for Lars, those COO's!:

General Excitement - 04.jpg

General Excitement - 05.jpg

apack7229

Sith Lord
Pomse2001 said:
ok that is what I call an army of cardbacks :lol: 8) lovely collection of cardbacks and figures, also a nice cut bubble 8) thanks mate for sharing your awesome collection :D is the other a moc ?

Snaketibe said:

Thanks guys. :) there's two madine Mocs. Both are 65 backs with different bubble types.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Definitively beardly. If you haven't listened to it, it's worth going over to the Chive Cast to listen to their Sexy Madine episode
http://blog.theswca.com/2018/10/chive-cast-93-definitively-beardley.html
"Don't stagger until I tell you"

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
OK Lars, it's time for Mr Exciting himself, is it? Surely every child's favourite figure, General Madine was at the very forefront of both the film and every childhood Star Wars playtime adventure!... Or not.

Why in God's name did Kenner choose this tedious offering over a Slave Leia, a Y-Wing Pilot, an Ishi Tib, a Gargan or an Oola?! They could have made any of those characters (hell, they could have made *ANY* other character!), but instead they chose to make this POS; a character so dull and boring he makes John Major look like Indiana Jones. I bet most kids wouldn't even remember him from the film (Madine, not Indiana or John ;-))! And then, just in case any child anywhere in the cosmos was still labouring under the impression there might be something remotely interesting about him, they dispensed with his brown jacket and made it grey instead; a perfect visual metaphor for tedium if ever there was one!

You might have guessed this isn't a favourite figure of mine ;-). However, I will say this much for it; it is, quite astonishingly, responsible for one of the rarest carded variants out there, in its Tri-Logo version. Plus, the figure itself does actually have some vaguely interesting loose variants, if you like that sort of thing... which I do! :-D

Jokes aside, this figure holds the dubious distinction of being the first MOC I ever owned after I started collecting again in the early 90's. Way back in the late 1980's, I was amazed to find a pair of carded Madines whilst rummaging in my mother's bedroom drawers for some sellotape. I wasn't collecting again yet, but I was still astonished to find them there and so I asked her what she was doing with them. She replied she'd bought them cheaply and thought they might make nice presents for some young lads. I rolled my eyes at that, and felt very sorry for the poor sod who was randomly given a General Madine as a present years after the films had ended! Little was I to know it at the time, but it turned out that I was one of those poor sods, as when, a few years later, I did start collecting again, my mother still had one of them and was quite happy to offload it onto me!

And here it is! A mint Palitoy 65B twin-stemmed General Madine that spent years of its existence languishing unloved in a drawer :-D

And here are three loose variants. From left to right, a Hong Kong moulded face, light grey hair, light brown belt. A Taiwan moulded face, green-grey hair, dark brown belt. And lastly, a Hong Kong, painted face, dark grey hair, dark brown belt:

Sounds like you do not like general madine :lol: I must say I think he is ok. But I would have been more happy to get some other officers like General Jan Dodonna from a new hope :lol: Then they could also have made the rebel command room on yavin as a playset for SW. Slave Leia or a Y-Wing Pilot would also have been great :D

Also a great story about that moc from your mother 8) I wish my mom had something like that :lol:

Great collections of moc, cardbacks and figures. I love the variants very much. Thanks mate for all the pictures, the great info and stories :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
apack7229 said:
Pomse2001 said:

Snaketibe said:

Thanks guys. :) there's two madine Mocs. Both are 65 backs with different bubble types.

I did not know there was different bubbles for same backs, cool :D

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
and my last cardback with my variants

P1170712.JPG

P1170713.JPG

P1170714.JPG

P1170715.JPG

P1170726.JPG

P1170727.JPG
That's a whole lot of love for Madine! Another stellar collection, Lars, with an impressive number of cardbacks and figure variants to complement your MOCs.

Thanks for sharing, as always :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
and my last cardback with my variants

P1170712.JPG

P1170713.JPG

P1170714.JPG

P1170715.JPG

P1170726.JPG

P1170727.JPG
That's a whole lot of love for Madine! Another stellar collection, Lars, with an impressive number of cardbacks and figure variants to complement your MOCs.

Thanks for sharing, as always :)

Thanks mate for your always so kind words :D

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Here are my two. I must admit I'm not enamoured with mr beardy but I have spent a while trying to track down a reasonable condition HK painted face. It's not as nice as Jeremy's but it's still pretty decent.

Attachments

• 4842B776-EF59-4FD6-BFB1-204F4961B41A.jpeg
    4842B776-EF59-4FD6-BFB1-204F4961B41A.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,172

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
Here are my two. I must admit I'm not enamoured with mr beardy but I have spent a while trying to track down a reasonable condition HK painted face. It's not as nice as Jeremy's but it's still pretty decent.
I don't know, it looks pretty good to me! :)

Thanks for sharing.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
I don't know, it looks pretty good to me! :)

Thanks for sharing.
Has a small paint rub on face. Yours looked mint :wink:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:

To me they look great, 2 beautiful figures, thanks for sharing them in the thread :D

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Pomse2001 said:
TheJabbaWookie said:

To me they look great, 2 beautiful figures, thanks for sharing them in the thread :D
Can you tell I'm a fussy ba**tard :lol:

Latest posts

Top Bottom