What do you do when a bubble is damaged in transit?

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I have just bought a MOC off of someone on Echo. It turned up today and the bubble has cracked. It was packed with plenty of packing and the box was solid, but the bubble was probably not adequately protected within the Star case in my opinion.

What is protocol when this sort of thing happens? Would you return it, expect a discount or accept it as posting MOCs is precarious in its very nature?

lejackal

Grand Master
Either a substantial discount or return for full refund. It's up to the seller to get the item to you in one piece, not you to take the hit

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Exactly the situation I had here. I would only consider accepting partial responsibility for this as a buyer if the seller made an attempt at protecting the bubble. Putting a fragile/yellow bubble figure in a star case is not good enough, that will not stop the figure breaking the bubble from inside. So if as you say there was no bubble protection, IMO you have every right to return it for a full refund, or if you want to keep it ask for a decent (eg 50%) discount.

Some people will say these things are fragile and there is a risk posting them, which I agree with, but that risk is on the seller IMO. It is their job to get the item to you in the same condition you bought it.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
This is the MOC from the seller's photos. I bought it for £220 on Echo which I thought was a good price which is why I am super gutted.

Attachments

• EA4B91EE-DC67-47AC-87F2-E090D258DD98.jpeg
    EA4B91EE-DC67-47AC-87F2-E090D258DD98.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 1,267
  • EBBB65BB-5B9A-4C18-90D5-AC55FFB3E2AF.jpeg
    EBBB65BB-5B9A-4C18-90D5-AC55FFB3E2AF.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 1,270

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Sorry this has happened, must have taken a hell of a wack to do that. I would tell the seller I want 50% discount on that as it has devalued signficantly. That or full refund.

poncho

Grand Master
These bubbles hey. it happens .The trouble with a full refund how's it going to have faired in transit again when he receives it back and repercussions from that. If I were the seller if take it on the chin and offer 50% back and you keep the item or offer a full refund and take it from there.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
lejackal said:
Either a substantial discount or return for full refund. It's up to the seller to get the item to you in one piece, not you to take the hit

This. It happened to me with a Yoda Moc off Iain. I was gutted(for both of us) but it's the sellers loss unfortunately. If it doesn't arrive as it was it the photos on the sales post it's a refund as far as I'm concerned. It's crap, a lose lose situation :wink:

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Thanks guys. Sounds like most people think 50% off.

It's tough because all my other 20/21 backs have no cracks in so if I kept it, it's more than likely a placeholder until I can upgrade (though it still displays lovely and would probably be in my collection for a while - this is the first I've been able to get my hands on in 6 months).

I'm guessing that now it's cracked it will be hard to sell on for the discount he's offering so if I accepted his offer I'd be losing out. :cry:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Firstly, sorry to see this happen, another lovely MOC damaged and one that you've been looking forward to adding to your collection. :(
I agree with everything that has said above, I personally would return for a full refund.
You're never be happy with it and will have trouble selling it on if you chose to do so.
Of course, ensure that it's fully protected for its return journey.
I've said it before, but there has got to be a time in the nrear future when sending these items will be too risky!

subzero

Sith Lord
Gutted, why does this never happen when receiving a beater Klaatu in the post?

A little tip for protecting the bubble when you return it, is to put a of strip of masking tape on the side of the bubble over the crack, it will stop the cracked area from vibrating during shipping and hopefully prevent it getting any bigger.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
subzero said:
Gutted, why does this never happen when receiving a beater Klaatu in the post?

A little tip for protecting the bubble when you return it, is to put a of strip of masking tape on the side of the bubble over the crack, it will stop the cracked area from vibrating during shipping and hopefully prevent it getting any bigger.
Thanks Richard

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I don't use the post much for MOC's any more as it is too stressful and some stuff is irreplaceable so even if you get a full refund you still lose. I drive almost everywhere now and pick it up in person.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Wreck-It Ralph said:
I don't use the post much for MOC's any more as it is too stressful and some stuff is irreplaceable so even if you get a full refund you still lose. I drive almost everywhere now and pick it up in person.
Yes, reckonon the more expensive Kenner items I might do this. Can definitely see why you do that with Palitoy.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
I've opted for the return. It's on its way back carefully packaged and double boxed. I'll update when all received and refunded. :|

I think you made the right decision. If you ever doubt it just ask yourself would you have bought it with a cracked bubble if the answer is no then you did the right thing.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Wreck-It Ralph said:
TheJabbaWookie said:
I've opted for the return. It's on its way back carefully packaged and double boxed. I'll update when all received and refunded. :|

I think you made the right decision. If you ever doubt it just ask yourself would you have bought it with a cracked bubble if the answer is no then you did the right thing.
Totally agree, that's the best philosophy.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Agree, when selling something I'm not sure about I always ask myself if I'd buy it for the same price. If I wouldn't pay the price the buyer is offering me, I'm happy to sell.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom