THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 56 LAUNCHED

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
art56fb.jpg

The first show of 2019 arrives with all four of the crew present, delivering a packed show.

Darren Mcaleese joins Stuart and Richard for the main interview this month, the larger than life character discusses a host of topics from events and the community to Trilogo Madines and modern with some wonderful tales in between.

During Rebel Briefings we look at a host of topics and items that the team have been tagged in over the last few months but sadly couldn't have fitted into earlier shows before we discuss the Bib Fortuna blog on SWCA and Toploading bubble protectors.

Newest Acquisitions is full of guests as Evan Hoyt Wasserstrom chats about his Huffy Speeder Bike, Andrew Norton drops by to tell us about his ROTJ T-Shirt he found at a toy fair and Steve Savory tells us how he has completed a MOC run in which the final piece he has been looking for for 3 years! Alongside this we look at a 12 back with 32 back sticker, a graded Luke X-Wing Pilot MOC, Canadian Colour and Shapes on Cassette, whilst looking at Carl Dennis's top work on Yavin. As well as all this the team finish with a look at the Rancor monster, Richard proves what a mad man he is as he states it's the worst of all the creatures and the Vintage Alliance drop by to blow us away with more information on the caged beast than we could have hoped for.

Pete continues the Rancor loving by going further into other lines, in particular a Vintage Bootleg Soft Vinyl Model Kit is the pick of the bunch.
On top of all this we have the usual quizzes, a Celebration update, as well as discussing bubbles that get damaged in transit and where the liability lies.

All this plus much more on The Vintage Rebellion.

Enjoy the show!!!

Plastikheld

Jedi Knight
Hell yes, can't wait.
I'm curious if I (as a non-native speaker) can understand what Darren has to tell.
Met him first time last year, when we picked him up from Southampton airport to join Farthest From in April 18.
To be honest, I did not understand a single word - not just of his "strange" dialect, but he's talking like a machine gun as well.
But what an amazing guy ... this will be great, I push the play-button right NOW!

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
Plastikheld said:
Hell yes, can't wait.
I'm curious if I (as a non-native speaker) can understand what Darren has to tell.
Met him first time last year, when we picked him up from Southampton airport to join Farthest From in April 18.
To be honest, I did not understand a single word - not just of his "strange" dialect, but he's talking like a machine gun as well.
But what an amazing guy ... this will be great, I push the play-button right NOW!

Haha, this is the exact conversation that we have at the start of the interview

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Hi guys just started listening. Really looking forward to it.

Just thought I'd clarify a couple of things regarding the bubble broken in transit, while it's fresh in my mind.

Firstly I'd like to reiterate that the seller was nothing but amicable over the whole situation and conducted himself with great aplomb. Secondly, having just witnessed how calling someone out quite aggressively on FB over a broken bubble Fett, created a witch hunt and possibly trashed someone's reputation, I'm glad I took a much more diplomatic approach and posted first on here to judge reaction and canvas opinion.

Anyways, the MOC was available as a BIN on Echo. The price was amazing. I imagine it would of shifted at £300 (maybe more), let alone £220. The even luckier thing was the MOC had been listed for over 24hrs along with a number of other items that had been purchased, but for some reason the stand out deal was still there. In fact the only person who had commented on it was Iain Sanderson who said what a great price it was for a DSD in that condition after he had been tagged in on the post. So I was super lucky to get it at that price.

The seller offered me a full refund or just £50 off (not 50%). After canvassing opinion on here it seemed £50 was not really enough and you should be looking for around 50%. Even 33% as Rich mentioned would of been £75. I ummed and ahhed over it because I realised the initial price was so great and £170 for what was essentially a hairline crack was an ok price. If it had been 50% off at £110 I would definitely of jumped on it. In the end I figured it would of been a placeholder and then I would of had the worry of shipping an already cracked and weakened bubble in the future and the lottery that would of come with that.

Finally, I did not mention it on the post, as I was in constant contact with the seller, and an acceptable resolution was on the table. However, while the packaging was clearly good it was not how I would of sent it myself. The box was sturdy and it was sent in a star case. Some care and consideration had clearly been taken but not quite enough. I would of double boxed it, and most importantly he had just put a scrunched up a4 piece of paper around the bubble in the star case, with no other padding and it was clear that any vigorous bump could of caused the figure to hit the bubble. I posted it back to him double boxed and well packaged and no further harm came to it. I've had a few MOCs (not many) and sent a few and the only two that have arrived having issues were both sent this way. However, I saw no need to put this info on the initial post.

In the end I was happy to get my refund. I was gutted that I had missed out on such a nice card and acknowledge that the biggest losers her are the seller (who now has a cracked bubble) and the hobby (which now has 1 less mint MOC). So guys if you can't meet up and exchange face to face like Pete said make sure you really protect those cards in transit. Send it like you'd like to receive it.

Palifan

Sith Lord
I've got about another hour left to go but as ever another great listen, the months highlight once again! Darren came across really well and has some great things to say about his thoughts on putting a large collection together and where he resists to go based on space. It was also a point he mentioned about what happens when we get old and maybe our children or family inheriting our collections. I'm sure my boys would say to me right now that they'd want it all but maybe they'll feel a little different in years to come.

Thanks for the mention of my thread on Top Loaders and although I would love to take the credit for coming up with it as Pete I think mentioned it was something that another member on here showed a while ago and I was just showing my recent handiwork to everyone, at least some people hadn't heard of doing this before which was good and also I hadn't thought about using this method as a possible way of helping to protect bubbles when sending them off through the post. Hopefully someone will do some work on this and market something that we can all take advantage of in the future.

Well time to get back to it but I must admit that I side with Jez on the Rancor puppet in Jedi not being quite there, it took me a while to find out that it was puppeteered whilst growing up but it did always look a bit off to me and not just the heavy matt lines around it. Saying that though I've always loved the drool coming out of his mouth and using a chicken bone when playing with the toy is genius! :D

Ian

spoons

Grand Master
Well done lads that was a great show. Really enjoyed Darren's interview and he had me close to tears with his tale of destruction :cry:

On which note how about a new final question for interviewees - your collection is about to be destroyed by the under fives, which one piece do you keep?

I'm surprised someone as old as Jez was puzzled over 14 years for the length of a patent, does he also worry about other pre-decimal amounts, such as 14 pounds in a stone, the 12 days of Christmas etc :lol:

Good Rancor section too, the tri-logo is one of my favourite boxed items and it is a great toy

Keep up the good work

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Many thanks, guys.

Oh, the TIE Pilot had a completely different picture on the Trilogo. So the quiz is null and void. :D The ATST Driver did too with a picture even more boring than previously. Oh and Lobot.

Gadders

Padawan
Another great episode, thanks lads.

Interesting Stuart (I think) mentioned the dutch adverts with the Rancor etc on... I've got the full set of these adverts and love them. I posted pics of them all a while back on the "Vintage Star Wars Paperwork and Instructions" facebook group, if anyone wants to take a look..

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
Great show guys. Enjoyed all of the interviews. Congrats to Steve for finishing up his Han Solo MOC run!

I'm afraid the bubbles getting damaged in shipping will only get worse over time as the plastics continue to degrade. I've received figures that have popped through the bubble a couple times recently even though they were packed pretty well. I decided to keep them as they still will display well. The sellers gave me a small discount in both cases which I thought was fair.

Surprisingly, I never had the Rancor as a kid. For years I had a Rancor Keeper with no Rancor to keep. :) I finally picked one up a few years ago at a toy show.

Speaking of the Rancor Keeper (random thought here), his voice (aka crying) was vocalized by none other than Ernie Fosselius, the creator of the greatest Star Wars Parody, "Hardware Wars". Might be able to use that for one of the contests at some point. ;)

Thanks so much for putting out great shows every month. Always look forward to it and stoked when a new one pops up on my podcast feed.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Finally got around to listening. Enjoyed the discussion about bubbles breaking in transit, seems like most people are on the same page with this. If you want a masterclass on how not to handle this situation as a seller, check out this thread.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom