New "Authenticity Verified" Tag on eBay

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I was just browsing baggies on eBay, and noticed this new checkbox. Expecting it to just show a load of graded items (LOL we all know how far you can trust grading to prove something is authentic) I was surprised to see a pretty random selection of stuff. Has anybody else noticed this? How does it work? Is this just a checkbox you choose yourself when selling and eBay takes your word for it that it's true? I'm no grading fan but I could kind of understand if you had to enter a grading number or something to "prove" an item is real.

verified.png

TK-7785

Jedi Master
If it's Ebay's attempt to stop counterfeit and repro items they are potentially opening themselves up for a world of hurt. If they are claiming that anything sold under that tag is guaranteed to be authentic they will have a devil of a time having every item checked. Unless of course you have to be a "verified" seller to sell with such authentication. Would we be gauging this off of feedback? Because we all know how inaccurate that can be. Also, I wonder what the procedure would be for a claim against authenticity. Unless they have an Antiques Roadshow-esque panel of "experts" on call for any and every category that could have fake or counterfeit items, how the hell would it be checked and enforced!? But then they could always just say "because we say it is". :roll: But I shall try not to jump to conclusions. :lol:

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Found this: https://www.cnet.com/news/ebay-now-tells-you-if-that-luxury-watch-you-want-is-real/

I guess Ebay are rolling out this feature to other areas. I'm not sure it's really feasible or much of a good idea. I'll be buggered if I'm sending a MOC (for example) to some unknown person to "authenticate" it on my behalf, risking damage and loss. I can however see on paper how this would ultimately stop a lot of repro parts from being sold as such. The problem is it seems Ebay take a cut for the service (surprise, surprise!). How many people are really going to take the hassle and expense over a ~£20 figure!?

jayums

Jedi Master
Might it also strengthen eBay / buyers hand when it comes to returning items / refunds etc? Reliable sellers should have no qualms about ticking this option, and some sellers peddling repro/counterfeits etc use very ambiguous / misleading language on listings, so having a clear 'Is it authentic? Y/N' option could be good. Having this assurance (especially if guaranteed by eBay?) could make a lot of sense for many expensive items (watches, jewellery and the like) if not for vintage SW.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom