Fake Mailers Tom Derby Verdict

Richard_H

Grand Master
Copied from Tom Derby on FB:

PSA About Fake Mailers Originating from UK Dealer

As many people on these groups are aware, suspected fake bagged vintage Star Wars figures continue to originate from a well-known seller in the UK. The quality of these suspected fakes ranges from easy to spot to nearly impossible depending on the bag type. Types without logos have gotten so difficult to spot that there are certain suspected fake overstock type bags which may be nearly undetectable at this time.

Over the past year I've been researching both the suspected fake bags and now confirmed fake catalog/multi-figure mailers from the same UK source. It is alleged that the source is a dealer named Jeff Glanville. With the help of Steve Bruno from AFA and Frank Mewes, the author of the baggie guides on the SWFUK website and the person who exposed the suspected fake baggies, significant progress has been made towards identifying fake mailers, especially over the past few months. Currently we believe any mailers which trace back to the UK and were purchased between 2013 and the present require extra scrutiny.

The affected mailers include many brown box mailers, most white box mailers which lack the full color ROTJ sticker on the front or other color names printed directly on the box, and the red text Cantina 2-packs.

Up until a few months ago, there was an immense amount of circumstantial evidence but no smoking gun. The fact that hundreds, if not thousands of rare and hard-to-find bags and mailers were coming from the same UK dealer certainly raised suspicion that something was amiss. The fact that certain characteristics differed from known authentic examples was even more alarming. Recent discoveries have now provided the smoking gun and confirmed that many of these were printed using modern ink jet technology, going so far as to print the yellow color under new tape which would be laid on top to give the impression of aged tape.

While I'll share detailed information privately with AFA, CAS, and UKG regarding these fake mailers, I believe the best approach on a public forum is to provide some basic things to watch out for. Providing every minute detail could, in many of these cases, assist counterfeiters with improving their craft and making even better fakes. Please see the attached pictures for some guidelines on how to spot some of these fakes.

If you have questions about a mailer you have, please feel free to message me or Frank Mewes pictures to see if there is cause for concern. If you need me to provide an opinion on a mailer so that you can receive reimbursement from a seller or reimbursement of cost from a grading company, please let me know and I'll be happy to assist. I will caution that these are exceptionally high quality fakes which have taken several leading experts over a year to sort the details out on, so if there is any chance your mailers originated from the UK between 2013-Present, it would be a good idea to get an expert opinion. These fake mailers have been found to contain both suspected fake and verified authentic bags, so even if the bags in your mailers look good, there is still a possibility the box itself could be a fake.
fake4.jpg

fake3.jpg

fake2.jpg

fake1.jpg

Frunkstar

Grand Master
From Thomas Derby C.I.B -

PSA About Fake Mailers Originating from UK Dealer

As many people on these groups are aware, suspected fake bagged vintage Star Wars figures continue to originate from a well-known seller in the UK. The quality of these suspected fakes ranges from easy to spot to nearly impossible depending on the bag type. Types without logos have gotten so difficult to spot that there are certain suspected fake overstock type bags which may be nearly undetectable at this time.

Over the past year I've been researching both the suspected fake bags and now confirmed fake catalog/multi-figure mailers from the same UK source. It is alleged that the source is a dealer named Jeff Glanville. With the help of Steve Bruno from AFA and Frank Mewes, the author of the baggie guides on the SWFUK website and the person who exposed the suspected fake baggies, significant progress has been made towards identifying fake mailers, especially over the past few months. Currently we believe any mailers which trace back to the UK and were purchased between 2013 and the present require extra scrutiny.

The affected mailers include many brown box mailers, most white box mailers which lack the full color ROTJ sticker on the front or other color names printed directly on the box, and the red text Cantina 2-packs.

Up until a few months ago, there was an immense amount of circumstantial evidence but no smoking gun. The fact that hundreds, if not thousands of rare and hard-to-find bags and mailers were coming from the same UK dealer certainly raised suspicion that something was amiss. The fact that certain characteristics differed from known authentic examples was even more alarming. Recent discoveries have now provided the smoking gun and confirmed that many of these were printed using modern ink jet technology, going so far as to print the yellow color under new tape which would be laid on top to give the impression of aged tape.

While I'll share detailed information privately with AFA, CAS, and UKG regarding these fake mailers, I believe the best approach on a public forum is to provide some basic things to watch out for. Providing every minute detail could, in many of these cases, assist counterfeiters with improving their craft and making even better fakes. Please see the attached pictures for some guidelines on how to spot some of these fakes.

If you have questions about a mailer you have, please feel free to message me or Frank Mewes pictures to see if there is cause for concern. If you need me to provide an opinion on a mailer so that you can receive reimbursement from a seller or reimbursement of cost from a grading company, please let me know and I'll be happy to assist. I will caution that these are exceptionally high quality fakes which have taken several leading experts over a year to sort the details out on, so if there is any chance your mailers originated from the UK between 2013-Present, it would be a good idea to get an expert opinion. These fake mailers have been found to contain both suspected fake and verified authentic bags, so even if the bags in your mailers look good, there is still a possibility the box itself could be a fake.

Please feel free to reach out to me or Frank Mewes directly if either of us can be of assistance. It may take me a few days to respond in some cases depending on the volume of messages, but I will do my best to answer as quickly as possible.

Other Related Investigations are also underway. More information can be found at the following links:

Suspected Fake Baggie Information

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php…

Investigation of Woolworths 8-packs

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php…

53221699_10214643574067032_547588255562858496_o.jpg

53499969_10214643573667022_5788856057983926272_o.jpg

53930239_10214643573867027_3539225782603743232_o.jpg

54268218_10214643573347014_7402345992575516672_o.jpg

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Another really sad development for the mp /Baggie collectors and for the hobby in general, thank goodness we have dedicated collectors that put the hobby and collectors first and expose this disgraceful behaviour, so the wider community are forewarned and these scam artists are stopped.
Very sad news

sparkysx

Sith Lord
Met him at farthest from, not sure how he was allowed to be there though..... :?

punk_pat

Jedi Knight
Unreal

So are his fake mailers fake boxes with fake baggies inside? All the way down to fake weapons with the figures? Or did he just seal them with weighs inside to feel like figures?

Elaborate scam :eek:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom