Lost in the post

Kneon Light

Padawan
What do sellers on here do if items they have sent get lost in the post?

We currently have 3 items that we have posted that have not arrived. (2 overseas - 1 UK). We have certificates of posting for all items but none of the buyers paid the optional insurance that was offered. They are not too valuable (about Ã'£25 each) but we don't really want to give Ã'£75 of refunds when we can prove we have posted the items. I have made a claim with the post office for 2 of the items and will claim for the 3rd. Trouble is it takes so long for the post office to process a claim that buyers tend to get impatient and I am worried they will leave negative feedback (one already has). Any advice? What do other sellers do?

Jukesy

Sith Lord
Well i don't sell too much but do offer insurance as a optional value, if the buyers don't take that option then theyre running the risk but aslong as you have the POD (proof of delivery) then the only thing you can do is send a copy to the buyer and report the claim to the PO.

jayjedi

Sith Lord
i'd wait , one of my items took six weeks to arrive from the states. postage is slow at the moment so give it to the new year before you do anything.
just explain that delays are possible this time of year

craignwo4life

Sith Lord
I've only had one item go missing in the post (allegedly) but that was only a Ã'£5 Bossk figure so I gave a total refund as it wasn't worth arguing about.

I've never posted overseas so I don't know how long it should take, especially this time of year. The last 3 items I received from the States sent via normal airmail all arrived with me within one week though.

spoons

Grand Master
Like Craig if its for small amounts I refund them and claim later.

For larger amounts I'd give them the choice; either send them the proof of postage and they can claim themselves, or say you'll make the claim and refund them after the claim has been processed.

Kneon Light

Padawan
The 2 overseas things were posted in October so really should be there by now. I have made claims for both but am still waiting to here (phoned royal mail and they said it can take up to 3 months to investigate a claim). I sent scans of the proof of postings to both buyers. 1 has been very understanding. 1 has left negative feedback and complained to ebay :(

The UK one was posted on Dec 4th. Think I will give the buyer the choice between making a claim themselves or me doing it for them.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
spoons said:
For larger amounts I'd give them the choice; either send them the proof of postage and they can claim themselves, or say you'll make the claim and refund them after the claim has been processed.

that's the way i see it too, if it's not your fault i don't think the seller should have to take all the risk by refunding immediately.

if royal mail won't cough up, i think the fairest thing to do is split the cost. it's neither parties fault so neither should take the entire loss IMO.

Kneon Light

Padawan
Well 2 of the 3 people seem happy to wait for a claim to be processed. The third has left negative feedback and complained to ebay despite me sending a scan of the proof of posting and telling them that I was making a claim :(
Bloody annoying getting negative feedback for something that was beyond our control.

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
Well 2 of the 3 people seem happy to wait for a claim to be processed. The third has left negative feedback and complained to ebay despite me sending a scan of the proof of posting and telling them that I was making a claim
Bloody annoying getting negative feedback for something that was beyond our control.

Have you contacted ebay about this and explained the situation? Normally ebay are a bunch of cocks but sometimes they are very helpfull and may remove his feedback for you. But if you contact them then expect a long wait for a reply.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom