How did this happen?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I got a message from an Ebay member thanking me for my recent transaction with them, thing is I didn't recognise the ID. Included in the message was a line from Ebay confirming that I had no dealings with this person in the last 90 days.

What I want to know is how did he get my email address? I thought Ebay's change of policy regarding privacy meant people couldn't contact each other unless they had had some form of dealings before?

Anyone else had this?

plantman

Sith Lord
Hi,

ive had this aswell, then you click on the transaction link and it sends you to a phishing site.

They can get this information all sorts of ways, i had a guy asking me about a figure (buying it outside of ebay) we agreed to pay direct...so i gave him my paypal address to send payment. I then get one of those emails about a false transaction.

to be honest most people use their general email address as their paypal so they can be picked up from facebook ect or anywhere else. Then spammers send emails to any address regardless if they know its a ebay/paypal one.

they are bound to get 1 or 2 right out of 1000 :)

forward them a nice attachment that puts a reeboot command in their startup folder...that'll piss em off :)

craignwo4life

Sith Lord
weasel said:
I thought Ebay's change of policy regarding privacy meant people couldn't contact each other unless they had had some form of dealings before?
You can still contact people you've never dealt with but it's now limited to something like 3 a day.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
craignwo4life said:
weasel said:
I thought Ebay's change of policy regarding privacy meant people couldn't contact each other unless they had had some form of dealings before?
You can still contact people you've never dealt with but it's now limited to something like 3 a day.

:shock: Didn't know that at all!
I'd understand if he had contacted me trying to sell something to me (I'm not currently selling on Ebay). But, to contact me thanking me for a transaction that never happens, just doesn't make any sense!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom