Artoo-Detoo (R2D2) Real vs Reproduction

dark lord

Padawan
Hi guys, I've just upgraded my Solid top R2-D2 to a near mint figure. My original R2 had obvious signs of age on the sticker from yellowing from sun/finger skin oil etc. Now i have a near mint figure can anyone give me a definitive visual comparison between the four different original R2 stickers and the latest or best reproduction stickers. I'm pretty sure my stickers are the real deal but would be happier if the experts amongst you can confirm this for me.

Joe

Grand Master
LOL its him in his conservatory you can see the reflection (and is that a dog in the background! :lol: )

spoons

Grand Master
jaymassive619 said:
spoons said:
Is that you Han?

Its not is it :roll:

Wasn't Han's I.P address banned as well?

That's easy to get around

no offence meant to Dark Lord, but it just struck me as a bit odd that a post about repros came so soon after our good friend Han left the building, the writing style seemed a bit familiar too

as i say apologies if I'm wrong :oops:

Joe

Grand Master
I am paranoid as soon as someone joins up LOL

We have had our fair share of cocks on here, so I wouldn't worry Spoons - if the guy is genuine I sure he will appreciate us being cautious!

Anyway, I don't have any repro sticker pictures but yours looks good in the picture anyway, they don't sell repros in yellow :lol:

jaymassive619

Sith Lord
whiteskinnydroid said:
I am paranoid as soon as someone joins up LOL

We have had our fair share of cocks on here, so I wouldn't worry Spoons - if the guy is genuine I sure he will appreciate us being cautious!

Anyway, I don't have any repro sticker pictures but yours looks good in the picture anyway, they don't sell repros in yellow :lol:

They don't sell repros in yellow :lol:

Dorklord just drop a post in the who's who introduce yourself thread mate telling us who you are I'm sure you will get a warm welcome.

dark lord

Padawan
Hi guys its me again DORKLORD, :twisted: sorry to disappoint you but I'm not the infamous Han just a new guy trying to get some tips. Sorry to have asked such an obvious question but until you get help with these things your knowledge can't improve. If I'm a dork for my choice in name sorry i offended you i was just trying to be in tune with the subject matter. I am also a RS member but under a different user name. If i write in some **** style like Han its because I'm **** on a computer and i can't spell. I just hoped i could gain some knowledge and make some friends with the same passion for vintage Star Wars figures that i have, although i have a different budget to some or most of you guys and can only buy yellow R2 figures. lol :wink:

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
Welcome to the board mate! I can't help you determine if its real or fake - I have a similar dillema for one of my R2's....

Joe

Grand Master
dark lord said:
i have a different budget to some or most of you guys and can only buy yellow R2 figures. lol :wink:

Don't worry I don't buy anything worth more than a fiver :lol:

Your R2 is fine, don't worry, and no-one called you a dork ;) ONLY THAT **** JAY!!

Tiefighterboy probably has a picture/scan of the R2 repro stickers so when he see's this post he will probably add a picture for you to check.

Just one more thing, how did you know about the "infamous" Han ?

J

spoons

Grand Master
whiteskinnydroid said:

J

He just said he's also on RS :roll: :wink:

No offence meany Dark Lord and welcome to the boards :D

Also I think Jay's Dorklord was just a typo - I don't think any of us toy collectors here can accuse anyone else of being dorky :oops:

I don't know about your R2, but if it's real its in great condition

jaymassive619

Sith Lord
Oh mate I wasny calling you a dork like Spoons said it was a typing error I sent that last message off my PDA. (Feel like a twat now)

Anyway welcome to the forum mate and don't be afraid to ask questions

What area of vintage starwars do you collect?

Jay

Oh and don't worry even the most minty original R2's tend to have a very faint hint of yellow when you look closely where as repro stickers tend to be pure white :)

Joe

Grand Master
LOL I didn't see Jay's Dorklord :lol: :lol:

Spoons - I only asked how he knew because the RS thread was more than a year ago and people tend to forget the odd watch out thread, fair enough some things stick in your mind I guess.. :?

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
spoons said:
whiteskinnydroid said:

J

Also I think Jay's Dorklord was just a typo - I don't think any of us toy collectors here can accuse anyone else of being dorky :oops:

You calling him a meany now Andy?

dark lord

Padawan
Apology accepted,thanks for the warmer welcome guys. :D To answer the question about what do i specialize in, i would have to admit i am a variant and imperial troop army building collector if that makes sense. I cant resist a good stormtrooper to add to my legion as long as it's in good condition. I also try and collect any weapon variations that were made so i will probably ask you lots of dumb questions about reproductions. I have a complete loose collection of vintage star wars figures which includes a mint/C9.5 set of last 17 figures and some carded examples not mint :cry:. I'm still trying to upgrade a few of my other figures but i tend to pick them up from time to time chasing variants or different COO.

jaymassive619

Sith Lord
Nice one!

If you have lots of weapon variations you should put up some pictures on the repro photo thread (just use a macro setting with a white background if poss). There are a lot of experienced collectors here who will be able to help identify them for you. One of the things I'm doing is creating a new repro identification website and the information on SWF that is gained is going to be used on it. So any contributions photo's / knowledge you can add will be greatly appreciated.

You'll have to get some collection pictures aswell up I bet the armys look spot on!

Jay

spoons

Grand Master
Capetown said:
spoons said:
whiteskinnydroid said:

J

You calling him a meany now Andy?

I wondered what you meant there Emiel :oops: Stupid typos :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom