Star Wars Card and Box Artwork

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
When I get back into the collecting I'm thinking about a basic loose set and perhaps some artwork to hang on the walls rather than taking up too much space with display cabinets.

I've had my eye on a Revenge proof sheet for either the AT-AT or Falcon for a while as these are two of the toys I remember best and the box artwork looks bloody great 8)

If you had the chance to frame up and hang one piece of card/box artwork (forget rarity and cost) what would it be :?:

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
stevemac1976 said:
I would love to have the artwork for the original chewie MOC.

Maybe one day!!!!! :D

Steve

Somehow I knew what you'd want on your wall :lol: Hasn't Skye on RS got the Jedi card artwork/photographs? I remember that being a pretty cool setup.

Burnsy, I see where you are coming from with those two choices, Slave I is an iconic looking ship even though the toy was a bit naff.

spoons

Grand Master
Darth Wensleydale said:
stevemac1976 said:
I would love to have the artwork for the original chewie MOC.

Maybe one day!!!!! :D

Steve

Somehow I knew what you'd want on your wall :lol: Hasn't Skye on RS got the Jedi card artwork/photographs? I remember that being a pretty cool setup.

Burnsy, I see where you are coming from with those two choices, Slave I is an iconic looking ship even though the toy was a bit naff.

I always thought Slave 1 was pretty good - could have doen with electronics.

I'd have to go for the original AT-AT or Darth Vader TIE artwork as they're both favourites of mine. My ATAT Revenge proof hangs on my dining room wall :)

Grant

Sith Lord
Simon,

You hit the nail on the head. Either the ATAT or the Falcon would look the best in my opinion.
They are both probably the 2 most well known vehicles out of them all. I myself would really like a Landspeeder and a box flat of the Creature Cantina.

Thank you,

Grant. 8)

JohnA

Padawan
The two nicest pieces of card art I have seen are 2-1B and DSD. The owner had them beautifully framed and I would LOVE to hang either on my wall. The ReeYees art is pretty spectacular too (one of the few not locked up in one of two collections). I *almost* had a shot at that last year but it wound up not working out. One day...

As an aside, the problem with most of the photo/original art is that it is locked up in 2 collections. These 2 collectors were smart enough to see the significance in these and start buying them up. And yes, Steve, one of them has the original Chewbacca and Skye has the Endor. As bleak as this sounds you'll have an easier time getting Skye's art and I think you know how impossible that is. Don't feel bad, though, because the Biker Scout art is in one of those 2 collections too. So, it's actually more an availability issue than a money issue. Recently, people have offered up to $12,000 for a piece of card art that originally cost as low as $1,500 and got no bites.

John

Bollux

Grand Master
Jimmy, John was talking about the actual artwork that went into making the cardbacks and the proofs!

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
The original artwork for the A-Wing which was in the auction last year looked really nice, wouldn't mind that sat alongside a POTF box flat I thought. Lots of moolah though.

stevemac1976

Jedi Master
JohnA said:
The two nicest pieces of card art I have seen are 2-1B and DSD. The owner had them beautifully framed and I would LOVE to hang either on my wall. The ReeYees art is pretty spectacular too (one of the few not locked up in one of two collections). I *almost* had a shot at that last year but it wound up not working out. One day...

As an aside, the problem with most of the photo/original art is that it is locked up in 2 collections. These 2 collectors were smart enough to see the significance in these and start buying them up. And yes, Steve, one of them has the original Chewbacca and Skye has the Endor. As bleak as this sounds you'll have an easier time getting Skye's art and I think you know how impossible that is. Don't feel bad, though, because the Biker Scout art is in one of those 2 collections too. So, it's actually more an availability issue than a money issue. Recently, people have offered up to $12,000 for a piece of card art that originally cost as low as $1,500 and got no bites.

John

John.

i seem to remember someone offering up those sums of money recently on RS for original artwork. In fact it worked in my favour as it helped me to convince my misses that it was a good idea to buy the last chewie proof that i bought.

As you have said in a recent post - in it for the long haul. I am sure at some point that some of these will become available again. And as i have said there are a load of things that i am looking for at the moment and my 2010 wishlist is quite extensive. My plan next year is to pick up maybe 3 or 4 key peices and a few smaller end items. Need to get a few financial debts paid off (including a loan from my parents) before i really start to splash out again,

Steve

JohnA

Padawan
jimmymindtricks said:
WOW on those prices, iam staying away of proofs and ect for as long as possible

Yeah, what Bollux said. I meant art. Sorry for the confusion. The original poster did say artwork. Proofs are much more affordable. You can probably get some in the $200-1,000 range. Don't worry, there aren't many Scout proofs left anyway. All of the one-of-a-kind ones are locked up anyway. ;)

Darth Wensleydale said:
The original artwork for the A-Wing which was in the auction last year looked really nice, wouldn't mind that sat alongside a POTF box flat I thought. Lots of moolah though.

Yeah, beautiful art. That sold at something like $22,000 plus a buyers premium of another 10% or 15%. Plus framing. :) That's just about $25,000+/-.

stevemac1976 said:
As you have said in a recent post - in it for the long haul. I am sure at some point that some of these will become available again.

Anything is possible but the collector with the Chewbacca has been collecting since 1977 and NEVER sells or trades ANYTHING. He's also still a VERY active buyer. I'd expect you'll be waiting another 30 years to see that stuff come back to market. Seriously.

stevemac1976 said:
And as i have said there are a load of things that i am looking for at the moment and my 2010 wishlist is quite extensive.

There's always your 2040 wish list. :p

John

jimmymindtricks

Jedi Master
JohnA said:
jimmymindtricks said:
WOW on those prices, iam staying away of proofs and ect for as long as possible

Yeah, what Bollux said. I meant art. Sorry for the confusion. The original poster did say artwork. Proofs are much more affordable. You can probably get some in the $200-1,000 range. Don't worry, there aren't many Scout proofs left anyway. All of the one-of-a-kind ones are locked up anyway. ;)

John

i knew what you meant john , see the ect :wink:

and about the proofs , maybe somewhere in 2010 that somebody could sell me one of those 200isch range proofs to me 8) :wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom