Q about ESB

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I'm sat here watching ESB on ITV and I swear the scene where Vader and the Emporer are having a wee chat (while Vader and his mates are chasing the Falcon through the asteroid belt) has been re-written.
I watched and I don't remember the conversation at all. Like most of you I've seen the film 100's of times and I swear it was totally different. Have they changed/ruined it in the remastered version or have I got early on set alzeihmers!?

sith-smith

Grand Master
Totally rewritten

New extended dialogue and new emperor!!!

Assuming your watching the post ROTS version

sith-smith

Grand Master
Well I don't think he should anymore.

In fact I'm not certain he should be on this forum :wink:

:lol:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah it's the after ROTS version.
First time I'd noticed it TBH, YES I'm ashamed! :oops:
Though in my defense I normally watch the auld/un-****ed up versions, just cos those are the ones I grew up with (still have the 80's version I recorded from tv, complete with 80's adverts. If only I had a video player to watch them on, lol).

I realised about 10 mins after I posted that question that obviosuly it had been re-written because the Emperor syas Luke is Darth's son.

WHY WHY WHY did Lucas feel the need to do that, as if the prequels weren't bad enough he decided to **** with the original three. I sometimes wonder is he actually all there!?

sith-smith

Grand Master
Well I think Ian McDiarmid is better in that scene than the monkey-eyed woman emperor he used in the original ESB :lol:

I think that if he'd thought this all through properly from the start then none of this would need to be done. :roll:

Joe

Grand Master
Think the only thing that really bothered me was the decision to switch out Sebastian Shaw and put Hayden in as his "ghost" in ROTJ...
:|
haydenROTJ.jpg

Josh

Sith Lord
Joe said:
Think the only thing that really bothered me was the decision to switch out Sebastian Shaw and put Hayden in as his "ghost" in ROTJ...
:|
haydenROTJ.jpg

Cringe :twisted:

Jedi534

Jedi Knight
Don't get me started... well ok... you asked for it... I can't stand the SE version and here's why, the original Emperor was more serious and straight forward and seemed threatened by the "new enemy". In the SE version, (although I do like the idea of Ian being inserted) the Emperor is more downbeat and trancelike in his speech, almost like it was no biggie. The Emperor is supposed to be quick and snippy in his speech, not all drugged up. Had they kept the original voice or at least mimicked it, I may have actually liked the SE over the the OG version.

Also, the line "Can it be done..." in the original is more of a command rather than a question like Ian presents it in the SE.

phreatobite

Jedi Master
Three reasons why George Lucas should be executed:

1. SE versions
2. Prequels
3. Not making VII - IX

No. 1 being the worst offence, how dare he! At least Empire got away relatively unscathed.

dark lord

Padawan
Without George we would all be collecting figures of men in monkey suits from POTA or worse :lol: . So who cares if us old star wars fans don't like all that has been done since, millions of kids do and they will keep Star Wars alive for us all. If we had a time machine and could take the three prequels on video back in time and show them to ourselves i bet we would have thought they were great as well. So lets not joke about killing off poor Mr Lucas hes not getting any younger and I'm sure we will all feel more than a little sad when hes not here to tamper with the greatest films of all time any more. :(

Christian

Jedi Master
Here's a link to all of the changes to ESB from the original release through the SE and to the DVD release:

http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-two.html

Personally I didn't realise how much was tinkered with for the DVD release from the cinema SE released version.

Cheers,
Christian

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
The other changes I hated in ESB (albeit SE changes) were the new voice for Boba Fett. Jeremy Bullock was menacing "what if he doesn't survive - he's worth a lot to me", whereas the new dude (in line with the clones) is just, meh.

Worse for me though is after Luke escapes Vader's cluthces on Bespin. In the original Vader is pissed - "bring my shuttle" he barks as he strides away. Now is some gumpf like "inform my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival" - very level toned. What the ****?!

phreatobite

Jedi Master
Interesting site. For the most part the changes seem to be embellishments or correcting continuity errors. Which is fair enough.

However, changing Boba's dialogue and the Emperor's re-done scene were pointless. George is spoon-feeding us plot details and characterisation when it's not necessary.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Am I the only one who thinks about 50% of those changes were unnecessary or actually made the films worse!?

Jedi534

Jedi Knight
weasel said:
Am I the only one who thinks about 50% of those changes were unnecessary or actually made the films worse!?
Yes you are because most people think 100% of those changes were unnecessary and made the films worse! :D

Josh

Sith Lord
Jedi534 said:
weasel said:
Yes you are because most people think 100% of those changes were unnecessary and made the films worse! :D

LOL funny stuff :lol:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Smart arse!

Nah the extra hatch as Lando opens the roof on the Falcon works IMO. Your right but, the rest were a waste.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom