The How To thread

Stargeezer

Sith Lord
Ok, i know a few off you are either Banned from RS or not checking that forum anymore, so maybe i can help some off you by also posting this here.

I startted this on RS as "Putting a MOC in an acrylic case" topic, but now with some updates, the How To title is much better, and how knows, maybe some off you guys have some ideas to share aswell.

Somewhere in the past i sold an 20Back R5 here on the forum. this was a MOC that i badly damaged whilst i wanted to insert it in an Acrylic display case. I scraped against the acrylic on one edge whilst shoving it in and i even made it worse when i pulled it back out.... it had scraped the surface of at one edge and made the MOC wich was an C8 before look like crap. Needles to say i was gutted....

Joe and some other contact me as they had experienced this theirselfs aswell.

Somethimes i see a MOC coming for sale or beeing limelighted with edge wear wich could be from inserting/removing a MOC from an Acrylic case, i think its to bad.

Now since that happened to me i have been using an easy an cheap trick to prevent this kind of damage in the future and i know many off you allready know this, but i just wanted to share this so less MOC's would get damaged.

I have choosen a MOC wich is not completly flat on top as these have more chance to gain edge wear from the acrylic case.

null_zpsd9578ad3.jpg

What i do first is cut 2 long pieces of paper and fold them in half. Now insert each on one side in each guider of the acrylic case.

null_zps21bee7f3.jpg

null_zpsb76cfc6d.jpg

This way you can slide your moc through the paper guiders wich protect your MOC from scratching against the acrylic.

null_zps1564e99f.jpg

null_zpsc58e6b1b.jpg

After your MOC is in place, pull out the paper guiders and voila the MOC is ready to go on display.

null_zps00350fa3.jpg

Now, to remove the MOC, you can do this the same way but then reversed, just start by sliding the paper guiders in. Its just as easy as that.

Next is another good tip in case you ever recieve/buy a MOC with the footer in front of the figure. I know when you buy a MOC with the footer in front off the figure, it can save you some $$$, but right it sure doesn't look as nice as a figure with the footer underneath the figure as should.
Note, to make this pictureguide, i first had to get the footer out of place, so i could show you how to correct it, this is how confident i am, about how this solution works.

Some say you could shake a footer back in place, but this can damage your moc aswell, so here is a safer method.

Here you see an 12Back Leia with the footer before the figure. As you can see below the Moc, i allready cut 2 pieces off thin cardboard, but you actually only need one, i just made a 2nd one in advance in case i should bend it. (make sure the piece of cardboard is thin enough to slide in the gap between the bubble stem and cardback and sturdy enough to carry the figures weight).

null_zpsfad86909.jpg

Now slide in one off the thin pieces of cardboard and push the figure up (note all my pictures are taken with the figure lying down, but best way to do this is when you hold it up in your hand.) When the figure is up, the footer can fall to the bottom of the bubble (not underneath the figure though)

null_zps2edab696.jpg

Now try to get the footer at an angle by holding the Moc at an angle so the footer, slides underneath the figure as far as possible allready. When your at the best position you can get, lay the moc down like shown in my picture.

null_zps2e9cdd8b.jpg

Now the Moc is lying down, the figure will stay in the position it's in (against the top of the bubble) and you can use the thin piece cardboard to adjust the footer in place again.

null_zpsf7c405c4.jpg

Now with the footer in place again, the figure looks a whole lot better. and if you put in in an acrylic case (using the technique as described in my initial post ) it looks like it's worth a million dollars.

null_zps8e033621.jpg

null_zpsa11358db.jpg

Lastly i want to share an packaging technique wich can best be used at an expensive MOC. This is the double boxed technique:

First securly pack your MOC in a starcase filled with packin material around the bubble (this will help to keep the bubble in place and helps to prevent the figure popping through the bubble).

IMG_3201.jpg

Wrap the starcase in bubble wrap and place it in a small box wich is filled with peanuts around the starcase to prevent is from moving around in the box.

IMG_3202.jpg

IMG_3203.jpg

IMG_3204.jpg

Seal the small box and place it in an larger size box, again make sure the smaller box is well surrounded by peanuts.

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

Now seal the big box and it's good to go.
I know this may look like overprotection, but for expensive MOC's this is the best way to ship in my opinion.

I hope i did not bore you guys with my long post, and maybe i teached some guys some new tips and tricks.

If you have any comments or some tips from your own to add, i would love to hear about it.

Take care,
Dennis.

Palifan

Sith Lord
That footer trick looks amazing although I'm not sure it will work with all the figures as I don't think there would be enough room to move the figure up in the bubble with some of them (that said though maybe those aren't the figures that the footer comes out from under their feet).

Thanks for sharing :D

Ian

Stargeezer

Sith Lord
That May be right Ian, but some figures are more prone to shifted footers as others. And normally if the footer had the space to slide out from under the figure, there should be enough space to slide it Back under.

Stargeezer

Sith Lord
Jedi_june said:
Excellent thread! Thanks Stargeezer :D Maybe you should post the shipping mocs part on EBay.Com :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can Always link the Seller to this thread. :wink:

Don't think many eBay sellers pack their items like i do.

Stargeezer

Sith Lord
Thanks for all comments guys.

Now if anyone has a tip how to turn a figures head inside the bubble that would be great. Don't know if it Will be possible though.
I have a 12back Luke wich is looking to te left and i would like it to look forward without Damaging the Card or bubble, is there a tip or trick to do this?

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
Great advice and really clear pictures.

Unfortunately I have a MOC where the footer is trapped between the outer leg and vinyl cape of the figure, it is also an AFA piece so there is no way I can get at it :x

Stargeezer

Sith Lord
Stormtrooper37 said:
Great advice and really clear pictures.

Unfortunately I have a MOC where the footer is trapped between the outer leg and vinyl cape of the figure, it is also an AFA piece so there is no way I can get at it :x

I also can post a picture Guide of how to get a moc out of An acrylic case if you like. Then your able to fix the footer. :lol:

@x-pack: sorry for the confusion, but i am Dutch, so my english may not be the best.

Jez

Sith Lord
Your English is far far better than almost everyone from this forums Dutch.

Thank you and congratulations on a truly great thread.

x-pack

Grand Master
Ha! The English is fine. Peanuts makes perfect sense. It's something i never heard of before. Peanuts

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom