Sellotape removel

TwistedMetal

Sith Lord
Hey dudes got a great bargain the other day 2 scout walkers, 1 stormie and a palitoy scout walker ox all for £20 quid, anyway overall the box is in very good condition no tears etc.. But the problem with it is this, the seal on the inside of the box where it has originally been stuck together has come away and someone has stuck the side of the box together with seller tape, atleast it's clear tape however I would like to know is there a way I can dry it out so I can remove it ith out damaging the box? Any help would be great.

kuwahero

Padawan
i've read somewhere on here that slowly working lighter fluid under the tape dissolves the glue and doesn't damage the box. it can then be easily removed

i'm sure one of the more experienced collectors on here will be along soon to confirm or give better advice

good luck

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
I would start with a hair dryer to loosen the glue on the tape, then move up to 'goo gone' if its still a bugger to move or if it is already dried up. Any damage done is irreversible so it might be worth passing it on and upgrading.

however you go about it, go slow... very slow :wink:

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Hey Scott,

I've successfully removed selotape from several different mocs that had been used to hold down bubbles. Each time I used this product:

3m_700_adhesive_cleaner__solvent_300g-img190.jpg

Don't use any of those orange based adhesive cleaners as they will leave an oily residue.

The 3M one's a great product as it dries very quickly and leaves no residue, best way to use it is to spray a small amount into the lid and then use a cotton bud to get the edges of the tape lifting. You don't need the bud to be very wet, the fumes alone of this stuff will start lifting the tape. Once you get an edge lifted just keep rubbing the solvent with the cotton bud along the contact point making sure you are pulling the tape low, not up, as if you pull the tape up that's when you risk lifting the litho or print from the box.

Take your time and keep some tissues handy to wipe away any excess solvent or tape residue as the old adhesive will turn quite gummy. don't breathe this **** in either or you'll be spinning for days. If you need any other tips just let me know.

Another word of warning when removing tape from MOC's bubbles you need to use a combination of both Solvent and orange cleaners, the solvent for the cardboard as it won't stain but it will damage plastic and the orange for the bubble but not the cardboard as it will stain. Hope that makes sense.

x-pack

Grand Master
Never usually touch the cards with tape on. On bubbles the residue just polishes off with Mr Sheen or similar. Dab on rather than spray on though :!: As others have said, take it slowly. Tiny bit at a time

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom