Sticker/Tape Removal Guide

Doomseeker

Jedi Master
Hi All,

Over the past year I've helped a few members of the forum out who have wanted to remove tape, stickers etc from their Vintage Star Wars boxes. Well I thought I'd post a picture guide as to how I do it and what I recommend......I'm so confident in it that I'm using it on one of my Grail items....A boxed A-Wing Fighter.

WARNING * There are so many innuendos in this article it's untrue...please control yourselves*

Ok so here we go

1) Here is the boxed A-Wing with a couple of close up shots of the offending item.

1_zpsee27f979.jpg

2_zps656244ed.jpg

3_zpse2069823.jpg

2) The kit you will need:
Cotton bud
Fine Paint Brush
Lighter Fluid (so many practical uses for this stuff)
Tweezers (nicked from the wife) (not essential - in fact I ended up not using them this time, but always nifty to have around)
Small bowl for the Lighter Fluid
Kitchen Roll
Star Wars music in the background
Patience....and lots of it

4_zps61d3ca42.jpg

3) Find a loose corner to the sticker - if there isn't one gently use the paint brush with some lighter fluid on it to slowly work under a corner edge

5_zps2ea7c077.jpg

Slowly start to lift to enable you to see what's going on. Sometimes the sticker is so dried out that it comes away very easy. In this instance it was still surprisingly sticky so using the brush work more lighter fluid under it whilst very, very slowly (and gently) pulling the sticker

6_zps9db5a441.jpg

4) Keep working more lighter fluid under the sticker whilst pulling away from the box

7_zps011cda08.jpg

You'll notice a pool of fluid on the box, this is OK. It's a mixture of the lighter fluid and sticker stuff - use a cotton bud soaked in lighter fluid to mop it up

5) More patience and more working the fluid under the sticker whilst gently pulling away from the box

8_zpsd77812ec.jpg

Slowly getting there.....you're almost at the finishing line.....SLOW DOWN This is when you are most likely to balls the whole thing up as the end is in sight, keep going slowly

10_zps4e3b21a0.jpg

6) The offending bugger is off....do with as you please with it but make sure you keep it away from the box as the back will be sticky

11_zps3f08a11d.jpg

7) You'll notice that there's quite a bit of a mess now that the sticker is gone...not to worry, we can soon sort that out

12_zps9a5c4766.jpg

8) The clean up process. Using Cotton buds soaked in lighter fluid for the areas around the edge of where the sticker was

13_zpsfa6dc3d7.jpg

Use a piece of kitchen roll and dip it into the Lighter Fluid, then gentle work it over the area where the sticker was. Do this slowly allowing the lighter fluid to evaporate before attacking it again. Keep repeating this process until you can't feel any stickiness on the surface of the box with your fingers ( :lol: :oops: OK I'll allow someone to comment on that....bloody filthy)

14_zps07db2549.jpg

9) You're about there now, sit back and admire your work.

16_zps22a8e78e.jpg

17_zps6f291978.jpg

You'll notice ever so slight marking left by the sticker, in this instance it's not going away. I can only assume it's an element of damage caused by the sticker over time (it's been there for about 28 years!!) but it doesn't offend me and looks a damn sight better than the sticker that was there enabling me to admire the awesome box art for the first time!

I hope that this has been useful, insightful, informative and entertaining......damn sticky innuendos!!

If anyone has any questions either post or PM me. If the mods feel like "stickying" this......see what I did there! then please feel free as this does seem to be something that comes up quite a bit.
Cheers
Gary

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Absolutely fantastic post bud, I've got a couple of pieces I will go to work on now, great reference :D

Cheers for posting this, I'm sure it will come in very handy for loads of people :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom