AFA Prison Break!

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Will soon be getting my hands on a rather lovely figure, but it's AFA. I don't want to keep him imprisoned, so want to break him out. Half of the collecting thing for me is actually being able handle the figures etc, not have them encased. Short of sending in a babe disguised as a bounty hunter to free him, any ideas how I can do this without damaging the beautiful figure inside?

walkie

Sith Lord
I've freed plenty of AFA loose figures. There's usually an unsealed slot in the bottom of the case, either pop it open with the screw driver/chisel carefully or a more extreme mention is to saw the top off.

Just be careful, I'd recommend a vice and some safety goggles!!

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Good for u :p
I have broken out AFA MOCs b4 using a junior hack saw on the base join. What ever u do, do it v carefully.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
That's a good tip- cheers. Will start with a Stanley and move onto a hacksaw if I don't get any joy. Should be getting the figure soon, so will post my progress!

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Great- got several options now:

Stanley, Hacksaw, Hammer & Chisel 8)

Can't wait to get the figure now- another month or so ;)

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
After months of meticulous planning, the break out has finally taken place!
DSC_0279_zpse15f2710.jpg

First, I got a Stanley in where the bottom edge isn't sealed, on the opposite side to the bubble. I tried to make a clean cut through the glue. This was initially successful, but the further I got around, the more difficult it got, eventually cracking. I then used some pliers to prise the bottom off piece by piece. This was surprisingly easy and literally took just a couple of minutes start to finish.
VERY happy he's free- looks so much better and I can have a proper look and feel (oo-er, missus!).
DSC_0280_zps31b229c2.jpg

DSC_0281_zps5cc46a1d.jpg

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Bravo mate :D

Free at last!

Ensconced in plastic I sat, I waited,
Was this my end ? To be so ill fated.
To be labelled and graded, just one of many,
To be shelved like a museum piece, my self respect, do I have any?
Fear not, for this story it does end well,
Now it is with much pride that I swell.
A free spirit once more, to be admired by each onlooker,
My shackles removed by a SWFUKer.

tundra9

Sith Lord
This is great, love threads like this, being able to take a MOC
out of the case is so much more gratifying than just looking through
acrylic

Jediknight3263827

Jedi Master
nice free moc :D but was just wondering does anyone ever inform AFA so they can remove from archives
just wondering as i have never owned anything graded but im sure that loads have been removed from graded acrylic

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Thanks guys- Mike, that is awesome as ever! :lol: Nice to see that more and more people are feeling the same way about grading 8)

I just don't get the whole thing, especially being forever sealed. Both my boys, 6 & 8, were intrigued and totally understood my stance. They were egging me on, then cheered when it was finally free. They were both desperate to hold the figure once it was free, and I duly let them. They were mega careful and wanted to give it back after a few seconds. I think the collection will be in good hands once I've popped my clogs ;)

Jedi Knight, that's a very good point- hadn't thought about that one...

itfciain

Grand Master
I think the archives are so out of date then I would be amazed if AFA did anything even if you did tell them

That looks great - much better than the grade suggested - now all you need is a proper acrylic case that you can open whenever you like :)

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Looks great. I'm always worried that someone will bugger the card trying to get it out. Maybe AFA should offer a degrading service?

:p

Jason

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Jason, I was worried, but it was actually very straight forward, with little risk. It's common sense once you get started. The only dodgy bit is when you get close to the bubble, but the acrylic breaks off so easily and in a fairly uniform manner, when you pull it up and away from the card.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom