Cleaning vintage figures

yak_face

Padawan
Hi, iv seen a youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuFfzbvLH1Y)
on how to clean figs. I wouldn't want to do this with a c9 figure. and i don't like moving the arms when i get a figure i take a good look at it the leave in the bag or display it. A lot of my figures are dusty now through displaying them, how would i clean them?
I have the John Kellerman guide and all the loose figs in it look shiny like they have been sprayed or cleaned plus some loose AFA stuff i have looks the same.
any advice on this?

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Yeh I wouldn't recommend any harsh chemicals etc :!:
However would love to know the secret to getting Troopers minty white again :wink: :lol:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Never used anything to make them shiny, I think you will be surprised just what a good job soapy water does, I would always steer clear of any type of lacquers and the like you never know what sort of chemical reaction that may ensue.

That paint has been on the figure many years, so it's make up and stability while have changed, we all have opened a tin of old paint and found a funky mess!

Try the soft toothbrush and soapy water see how you go mate, be safe not sorry! Only my opinion though bud, no expert!

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
JuniorChubb said:
Grant_C said:
I wouldn't put chemicals on my figures.

Especially considering how often you sniff your figures :?

That's why I voted you funniest forum member.

Imagine that smell being washed away?

For me it would be the equivalent of buying a car to find it had no engine.

It would not get my motor running, that's for sure

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
I have found my R2 stickers to hold up well in water, but don't risk it if you are unsure. Take him apart first and clean the parts separately.

I used to get figures from boot sales and drop them all in a bowl of hot soapy water, the little droid didn't seem to mind. I am sure people will tell you I am mad for doing this though.

Also dirty water will stain the sticker further rather than cleaning it, so do R2 first. :wink:

Chico

Jedi Knight
I find a baby wipe works wonders... we have a constant supply and as my wife insists on buying the 'sensitive' version i figured if its save enough for a babies skin it probably won't do some of my grubbier figures any harm.

Gives a lovely shine... (to the figures, not my kids!!!!) :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom