Wall hanging MOC cases

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
I hope this is useful to some of you...

A few people had commented on the precise and fiddly nature of the work I've done to create my MOC wall at home in the SW Den and how it must have taken an age in measuring etc. So I thought I'd take a few snaps and share how easy it can be to achieve. I added 10 more cases to the wall last week, having had a move around that meant I could get a few off the shelves and hanging up, so it seemed a good time to get snapping.

I use the GW acrylic cases and hanging tabs that are readily available here:

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17520

1) Take a case, if its not 'box fresh', give it a good wipe over to remove any dust etc. Then using any masking tape; I use 24mm FROG-TAPE as it doesn't let glue or paint leach under the edges, mask up the case to create a guideline that you can repeat on every case. So line up the edge of the tape to the edge of the box both horizontally and vertically:

IMG_2348_zpsvont8i5r-1.jpg

2) Once you are happy the above is clean and straight to the edges, you have the perfect guide to place the tabs. A quick a light application of the super glue provided by GW Acrylic is all that's required and you get a few seconds to move it if really needed:

IMG_2349_zpsalrjxwkw-1.jpg

3) As you can see in the close-up, the tab fits in the corner of the tape and is hidden once hung by the card-back

IMG_2350_zpsxa0y8fxi-1.jpg

4) Leave the glue to set, maybe a minute or so...

5) Remove the tape!

IMG_2351_zpsrzfqecsa.jpg

6) Nails or small screws (depending on your wall surface and preference) can now easily be marked out across a clean and flat surface. I chose panel-pins as they can easily be tapped straight if you hammer them in slightly off centre. As a guide and to ensure everything was straight and true, I used a Spirit level to mark out a vertical line top to bottom, lightly in pencil on the far left of the wall, then measured nail points down at 26cm gap vertically, repeat this for as many cards/cases as you can fit in the vertical axis.

Then moving from the left to the right (with a presumption you use the same tape as me of course!), measure 11.5cm across to create the second nail point (check it with the level) and you're ready to hang the first case. In order to maximise space I have an 8cm gap (which leaves a gap of c2.5cm between each case when hung), for the next nail and of course another 11.5 to complete the fixings for case two. It quickly builds as you go:

IMG_0558_zpsf5b5816f.jpg

IMG_0560_zps18760332.jpg

As long as you have a decent length spirit level a ruler and a pencil, it all comes together pretty quickly and once all the nails are in you can pop the case down and switch out the card for a new purchase or different selection, depending on the size of your wall/collection...

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Great little tutorial & I am sure will be very handy for many on here buddy, looks ace they way you have them hung, one small suggestion if I may though, you would be much better off with some liquid acrylic as its lots stronger & will not frost.

itfciain

Grand Master
That looks amazing - one of my favourite displays (although I might be a bit biased)

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Brilliant- thanks for sharing 8) Have been thinking about how to do this for a while, and it definitely looks like the way forward ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom