Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Wow.

This may sound stupid stef, how do they feel between your teeth. I have always found real blasters to feel softer between my teeth whereas repro weapons are hard. I know its not scientific but it has always been ok for me.

Do they have the same high pitched sounds when dropped?

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Great read and fantastic effort put in by Stef and team, well done guys.

Its getting harder and harder to spot repro's as they get more advanced so articles like this are always handy.

Stargeezer

Sith Lord
The flashing do make them easy to spot....

Also what sound do they make when dropped on a surface? there is a distinct sound difference between original weapons and repro's when they hit the surface.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Awesome research piece which I have (sadly) only just read.

Bought an Imp Commander plus black imperial blaster in Holyhead (whilst on a nostalgic return) from a collectible shop. It was only a fiver and worthy of a punt, I thought. An I felt the need to buy something SW on the trip.

I didn't like the blaster; black, shiney and hard, but the detailing was, to my eye, pretty awesome. I thought I'd take a punt. Well, it failed at the first hurdle and sank when the bottle of water was shaken. And now reading this thread it's all to obviously one of the fakes.

Will post some photos when I get home as it really is very good. That said, even not having held an imperial blaster for nearly 20 yrs I knew it was too shiney and too hard, so I don't feel too gutted about it all; only a fiver and I was right ;)

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
If these need to go on another thread pls let me know and I'll delete and move.

The top black stormtrooper blaster is the one I bought with a figure last week. The bottom blue one is one I picked up from a small lot of figures and weapons I bought from ebay last week. The top one is, IMO, a repro and the bottom is absolutely genuine. Top one fails float test (once pushed below surface) bottom one passes.

What amazes me is the quality of the top one. It's superb. Crisp definition and high detail. Much better than the original. Apologies, I don't have a loose black blaster to compare.

Top=Repro, Bottom = Original
copy 1.jpg

Top=Repro, Bottom = Original
copy 2.jpg

x-pack

Grand Master
A combination of the float test and the drop test is the safest bet. I have weapons I know to be fake that pass the float test. Stormtrooper guns are a classic for this. Drop test usually reveals the true fake. Saying that it's not fool proof and I don't throw anything away for that reason. All my fakes are separated. Some are really bad like with the lighsabers - I could bin them now. But other's are bloody good copies making it difficult to write them off.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
I know what you're saying. I want to believe this blaster is real because it really is that good, but I can't; it's shiney, hard, non-flexible and then you have the float test. And I've just tried the drop test. "Totes fake" :lol:

Still, because it's so good it'll do as a stand in until the real deal shows up.

x-pack

Grand Master
Ooh no! I don't not chuck them because I think they are good - it's because I don't know if they are fake or not. The only benefit I can see to keeping hold is so you know what a fake looks and feels like. Absolutely no way I want these things mixed in with my collection anymore.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I have never seen an original stormtrooper blaster that sinks.

It happens that you sometimes need to push the weapons under the water to see if it sinks.

I always do that with the weapons that does not sink, to be more sure :wink:

I would say it is a repro stormtrooper blaster

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom