Farmboy saber

yoda

Sith Lord
Guys could someone give me advice on the above title. Should all Farmboy sabers float? It's floating but when I push it under it sinks like a brick.
Is this normal?

yoda

Sith Lord
Michael Sith said:
Hi mate have a look here, see if that helps at all

http://www.imperialgunnery.com/floatdroplighttest.htm

Thanks Michael I have been looking at that myself its hard because it looks ok from the pictures. I am still baffled it's floating then sinks when I push it under. I bought this figure from a guy who was 100% its ok now I am not sure.
Someone on here is interested on the figure but I want to make sure I don't sell him a fake.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
I would wait and see if any of the experts chip in bud ( I'm obviously not one) but for me I thought if you tap a saber, or push it under when float testing and it sinks to the bottom then it's a fake, but I may stand corrected.
You are doing the right thing though in asking the question before you sell on. Like I say, hopefully one of the more learned guys will chip in for you mate.

yoda

Sith Lord
Michael Sith said:
I would wait and see if any of the experts chip in bud ( I'm obviously not one) but for me I thought if you tap a saber, or push it under when float testing and it sinks to the bottom then it's a fake, but I may stand corrected.
You are doing the right thing though in asking the question before you sell on. Like I say, hopefully one of the more learned guys will chip in for you mate.
Yeah I am starting to feel that also about the saber. It pisses me off, this guy I bought it from I thought I could have trusted him he's sold alot of vintage starwars. He gave his word it was fine before I paid it just shows the type of people you can end up dealing with.
But as you say we'll get a few more opinions before I bin it. Maybe the guy I bought it from could still be ok :? At least if I can be sure I can let the rest of yous know he sells repro and can't be trusted on his word. Everyone can make a mistake but I am now having doubts if it was maybe deliberate.

yoda

Sith Lord
Michael Sith said:
Post up some close up pics as well, that may help.
Yes I'll get them up tomorrow hopefully that will help
Thanks for all the advice Michael.

M4K3R1

Padawan
Float test is not 100% valid with lightsabers, it helps as a starting point, but you cant distinguish real from repro lightsabers based on the float test alone. Depending on the lightsaber type, flat tips, round tips, repros, they all perform differently depending on the type of saber.
Your description matches an original flat tip lightsaber, floats, and can also sink when pushed or droped in water. I guess you have a flat tip if the figure is a farm boy, based on your description. Round tips are a completely different story, there are repros that are a perfect match in every way, plastic colour, float, glow under UV just like an original. Some farm boys can also have a round tip saber from memory, (I could be wrong), these particular round tip repros are almost impossible to tell apart.
To give an accurate opinion, a photo, in natural sunlight is best.
Look for letters on flat tip hilts.
Round tips need to be very closely looked at, and possibly you wont get a definite answer from a photo.
That would be your best way to start.

yoda

Sith Lord
[im
20160903_111820_zpsovavzspl.jpg
g][/img]
[im
20160903_111930_zpsavlbpyym.jpg
g][/img]
[im
20160903_111938_zpsymjviv6l.jpg
g][/img]
[im
th_20160903_111713_zpsiyk0kp2x.jpg
g][/img]

M4K3R1

Padawan
Does it have a definitive mold seem all the way around the saber, and can you feel the seem when you run your finger across the seem?
Does it have any excess flashing, even a small amount.
The good thing I can see with yours is that it sinks when you tapped it down,
the repros which are a perfect match in every way for the round tips is that they will not sink at all.
The only other thing I could sugest is the measurement, (edit removed measuremnets)

M4K3R1

Padawan
No problem,
unfortunately these round tip repros really are a perfect match in every way, and you have to go to some extra lengths to distinguish the 2 apart.

yoda

Sith Lord
Joe said:
M4K3R1 said:
Would be good if you could remove the measurements for your post,
some info we need to keep to our selves.

Removed :)
M4K3R1 said:
Would be good if you could remove the measurements for your post,
some info we need to keep to our selves.

Apologies guys for doing that :oops: it was late and having a few beers didn't help.
When I spotted this morning I removed anything I had reposted.
Again sorry and will be more tuned in the next time something like this comes up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom