Header image

The "New" Comprehensive Guide to Baggies (reference) please do not post

Information on variations, weapons, cleaning and repair etc
Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

The "New" Comprehensive Guide to Baggies (reference) please do not post

Postby Frunkstar » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Firstly may I request that NO discussion takes place on this thread as it is intended to be solely a guide & for everyone's help, this can only be achieved if it is easy to navigate, so your cooperation would be appreciated.

PLEASE BE AWARE THIS IS A GUIDE BEING SLOWLY RECONSTRUCTED & WILL TAKE TIME, MANY OF THE INTERNAL FORUM LINKS WILL TAKE YOU TO OLD THREADS WHERE THE IMAGES ARE NOT SHOWING, this is due to photobucket going 3rd party (paid subscription) image hosting, you can (if on a PC or laptop & using chrome or firefox ONLY) download the extension "photobucket fixer" which will give you access to the images in the old guide & all the other baggie guides shown on the forum

To add due the the photobucket hosting issues each post will be limited to a maximum of 10 images, so the guide will have to be broken down into more individual posts, not ideal I know, but it's what we got so you lot will just have to suffer :lol:

For discussion regarding the items on this thread & any help in construction of the guide please may I ask that you post in the thread linked below thank you -

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15934

Or do please feel free to Private Message me on here if you need help as I am always happy to be of assistance if I am able.

I aim with a lot of help to in time (re)create a comprehensive guide to all baggies & baggie related items which will include all baggies not just Kenner (U.S) issued ones like the former SWCA guide -

http://theswca.com/images-speci/baggief ... ature.html

Baggies were available in many ways, primarily in America in the form of store mail order multipacks like the one below, which spanned the entire film era from SW to ROTJ & were available from US stores like J.C Penny & Sears ETC -

copy_zpsp6aolw1x.jpg

I will go in to detail about these further on in the guide after I have covered the individual figure/baggies & single figure mailers, so the guide will cover in this order (please see list below), bear with me as said it is a work in progress & will be added to as & when I can & as & when the information becomes available -

1. Individual baggie
2. Other known Baggies
3. Single figure mailers
4. Multi-packs
5.Special Offer Items (vehicles & play sets)
6. General Issue Vehicles & Playsets
7. Popy's
8. Other Promotional Stuff from Around The World + End of toy line & dead stock items
9. Shipping Cases
10. Early Bird set's/4 Packs
11. Other Multi Packs
12. Fakes & what to look out for
13. Pre-production / Sample Related Baggie's & Items

They were also packaged together with ships & play-sets in "special offer" promotions & also some toward the end of the toy line in an attempt to move dead stock, the Woolworths 99p 8 packs being a prime example.

This will be a very long road to travel but one I feel really is needed if we are ever to overcome the stigma of the "Billy Boy Scam Monkey Rodgers" incident, a man who has sadly single handed brought any non US issued baggies into disrepute, no idea why TBH though as from all the reading I have done to date he only did fakes in 1 baggie type (Palitoy-a) & also the Woolworths 8 figure 99p special buys multipacks, but 90% of baggies collectors seem to feel that if it ain't US issued it ain't worth collecting & is most likely FAKE, this is one of the major hurdles this guide is going to face I am sure, more recently now we also have the the Jeff Glanville debacle which is not helping anyone's faith & confidence in baggies & baggie related items.

The Revised Kenner baggie Guide -

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32744

Basic rough guide that I did to None US issued baggies that is still very much a work in progress -

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13555&p=184118#p184118

There are a great many baggies circulating that are not covered by any form of guide to date & it is these I hope to shed a little more light on, there are also a great many fakes floating about, another point I will be going in to at length in hopes to save others from falling foul of some of the expense & disappointment/frustrations & pitfalls I have fallen foul of when first getting in to collecting baggies.- most are easily avoided with a little deductive reasoning & a modicum of common sense.

Remember baggies are one of the easiest items to fake for the untrained eye, so ALWAYS be on your guard when buying a baggie type you are not familiar with or a figure that has not to date been found in that baggie type, if there is a market that is profitable, there will always be those unscrupulous sellers willing to cash in on it for a quick buck.

This is intended to be an "open ended project" that I & with luck YOU will be helping to make into a definitive reference over time.

Here are a few IMO useful links to start the thread in the right direction, if anyone who had made any of the below threads/guides has any objections to them being linked to, please inform me via PM & they will be removed.

Facebook Baggie group for discussion - buying/selling & trading

https://www.facebook.com/groups/983169945045671/

Shawn k's mailer guide -

http://swspaceclub.com/mailaways/

Andy_R's Catalog Multipack collection -

http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1004691

SWCA Special offer guide -

http://theswca.com/images-speci/special ... cials.html

SWCA Multi Pack Guide, sadly not many of the packs are show with the baggies -

http://theswca.com/images-speci/mailorder/index.html

Couple more threads I have done that may prove useful -

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13576 - this one to be revised shortly

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13371

& another new one if you want to hurt your head regards font variations added 9/7/16 -

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30642

There is more information I will keep adding to this first post, so do keep checking back on the first page (this post).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Frunkstar on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
If there's a bright spark to the center of the galaxy, we're on the planet it's furthest from.

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: The "New" Comprehensive Guide to Baggies (reference) please do not post

Postby Frunkstar » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:36 pm

2-1b

Palitoy-a.jpg

Palitoy-a

IMGP9881_zpsi6vwous0.jpg

Palitoy-u - PHOTO COURTESY OF Laurence Dyer

sdc12846_zps13c78d0a.jpg

ESB-f - Photo courtesy of AJ

ESB-f.jpg

IMGP6608_zpsfb3e5e6c.jpg

ESB-f - Metallic Paint variant

ESB-c.jpg

ESB-c
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If there's a bright spark to the center of the galaxy, we're on the planet it's furthest from.

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:48 pm

4-Lom

Palitoy-b.jpg

Palitoy-b - assumed to be found in Palitoy mailers, though no examples have ever surfaced

ESB-d.jpg

ESB-d

IMGP7306.jpg

Unclassified baggie type, had this one since I fist started collecting & the heat seals look to be authentic, but ROTJ-c baggies are taped & this is twin heat sealed, could be something that is to date undocumented, but could also be suspect, if it can be confirmed it will require a new classification.

500 case overstoc.jpg

(suspected) Kenner 500 figure shipping case overstock baggie - PHOTO COURTESY OF Snaggletooth at least 2 examples have been seen, other baggies have also surfaced in the baggie type, but it is still one of those baggies that is a point of speculation, though I am leaning toward them being authentic.

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:01 pm

8D8

Dedicated to Joe O

SAM_8825_zpslfgduzjc.jpg

Palitoy-i (open bag) PHOTO COURTESY OF - Kevin Bletsoe Under normal circumstances I do NOT include open baggies in the guide, BUT due to the fact that these Palitoy-i's have been encountered on numerous occasions in this fashion, both on their own with mint figures & accessories as well as no tape residue on the baggies whatsoever & also in sealed woolies 8 packs, I have to assume that they were found both open & in tape sealed formats, most likely remnants from the factory staff shops & sold to employees directly.

IMGP6209.jpg

UNCONFIRMED baggie knotted baggie, there were several of these available around 2006/7 time & I took a chance on them after seeing so many of the same figure/baggie combo, they are in a Palitoy-i baggieS, but are knotted rather than tape sealed, I can only assume that either

A - they are fake
B - & IMO simply a case of the factory being out of tape on a day & going ahead with the run & knotting them as not to hold up the production line what with them never being intended for retail sale.

I know - I know, a lot will simply scratch these off as not a legitimate baggie, but bear in mind the fact that back when these were being made they were never considered to be collectible or likely to be staying in the baggies, so may well be just a production glitch, I am NOT endorsing these as legitimate in ANY way shape or form, only stating my opinion, but consider this - if indeed a fake - why bother??, not an expensive figure baggie combo in the first place & where would they have found the cardboard parts for the legs?, it would make little sense to fake this one IMHO.

EDIT 21/9/15 - due to new information, the find of non sealed Palitoy-i baggies from kevin B, I looked back at this baggie again closely & IMO I think this is indeed a Palitoy-i baggie which has been knotted shut, so assuming many of the Palitoy-i's came unsealed, this would add weight to the argument that this is indeed an authentic baggie :)

There are the circle on hip variations out there if you wanted to go for completeness, I however decided not to go down that route, but have seen circle on both hips/circle on left hip & no circles variations.

IMGP0058.jpg

Euro-a - note these french issue baggies came without the cardboard retainer for the legs in the baggies like the Kenner & Palitoy ones did

IMGP0112_zps8wdlajha.jpg

Euro-a - same as above, but with the inclusion of the Meccano red sticker (free figure offer)

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:09 pm

Admiral Ackbar

IMGP6140.jpg

Palitoy-a as found in single figure Toltoys & Palitoy mailers

ESB-c.jpg

ESB-c as found in single figure Kenner Mailer

ROTJ-a.jpg

ROTJ-a

ROTJ-c.jpg

ROTJ-c found in ROTJ Multi-packs, one of those rare examples of a legitimate ROTJ-c baggie, obviously excluding R.L 3P0 which is almost always found in ROTJ-c baggies, other examples include the B-Wing pilot.

ROTJ-h.jpg

ROTJ-h - PHOTO COURTESY OF - Laurence Dyer & from the famous palitoy C-3P0 case find, only know example know to date, assumed to be a baggie type never intended for onward retail sale by kenner & this one along with 2 other examples ( of different figures ) was found to have come from the palitoy staff shop, again assumed to be intended for opening & carding, a bit of a little miracle that these ever survived

OTHER KNOWN BAGGIES FOR THIS FIGURE - NO PHOTO AVAILABLE AS YET - Palitoy-B
Last edited by Frunkstar on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:51 pm

Amanaman

Often considered to only be found in one baggie type this fellow, well used to be, folks are learning now =)

Palitoy-a.jpg

Palitoy-b

ESB-c.jpg

ESB-c

IMGP2041.jpg

POTF-b

OTHER KNOWN BAGGIES FOR THIS FIGURE - NO PHOTO AVAILABLE AS YET - POTF-a
Last edited by Frunkstar on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:05 am

Anakin - I can hear the drones of boredom from here :lol:

IMGP7110.jpg

Palitoy-a Found in single figure Toltoyls Mailers

IMGP7144.jpg

ESB-c Found in single figure Kenner Mailers

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:11 am

At-At Commander (General Veers)

Palitoy-a 2.jpg

Palitoy-a PHOTO COURTESY OF - Laurence Dyer

Palitoy-b.jpg

Palitoy-b

ESB-d.jpg

ESB-d

ESB-h.jpg

ESB-h

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:39 am

At-At Driver

Palitoy-u.jpg

Palitoy-u - PHOTO COURTESY OF - Laurence Dyer

ESB-a.jpg

ESB-a - 1st issue

ESB-c.jpg

ESB-c

ESB-d.jpg

ESB-d

ESB-b weapons error.jpg

ESB-h (Weapons Error) packed with a Luke Hoth Rifle

ESB-h.jpg

ESB-h (Orange Logos)

ESB-h red.jpg

ESB-h (Red Logos)

Both the Orange & the Red logo baggies above in ESB-h came from the same warehouse overstock find in Canada, I know the argument on actual variation vs Discoloration rages on, but IMO this is another little bit in the puzzle & for me I regard it a true variation - make up your own minds as I am not getting involved in that one! :lol:

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:44 am

At-St Driver

IMGP6218.jpg

ROTJ-c Assumed to have been found in Bulk 200 figure shipping cases due to the sheer number of these out there, but not confirmed EDIT 28/11/17 - a shipping case has been found, god I love it when I am actually right about a hunch :lol:

ROTJ-c pain app's error.jpg

ROTJ-c paint apps error

ROTJ-h.jpg

ROTJ-h

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:57 am

B-Wing Pilot

IMGP6135.jpg

Palitoy-a

IMGP9878_zpsxqjsvmyi.jpg

Palitoy-u - PHOTO COURTESY OF - Laurence Dyer

IMGP0099_zpsrzlnv0mn.jpg

Euro-j - Meccano red sticker (free figure offer)

IMGP0985.jpg

ESB-i - ( Ex ESB-h - extra wide baggie ) - Note the pistol is in tape, this is normal

Kenner internal baggie V2
IMGP8375.jpg

ESB-i - ( Ex ESB-h - extra wide baggie ) but this example has all the "bleed off" portion after the heat-seal removed, many have turned up for sale like this & it is unclear if they went out like this or have been trimmed down at a later date for some reason, though odd just how many surface like this

IMGP0162.jpg

ROTJ-c - Found in a ROTJ era Multi-Packs

IMGP6289.jpg

ROTJ-f

IMGP7670.jpg

ROTJ-i - which is often overlooked as an ESB-f

IMGP8423_zpse72af1b6.jpg

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:04 am

Barada - short & sweet this section :lol:

IMGP8591.jpg

ESB-c - Always seemed odd to me that the only known baggies for this POTF ROTJ figure was an ESB Era baggie :?

Many folks keep searching for the fabled 1984 coo on this one in a baggie - give up already :lol:

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:23 am

Old Ben ( Obi Wan kenobi )

ben_cr10_zps0be114d9.jpg

Palitoy-a PHOTO COURTESY OF DEL

ben_so10_zpsd9ea6d1c.jpg

Palitoy-i PHOTO COURTESY OF DEL

IMGP6370.jpg

Palitoy-n

IMGP9884_zps4djlyjqp.jpg

Palitoy-k PHOTO COURTESY OF - Laurence Dyer

IMGP7459_zps34faecb1.jpg

SW-a - Small font

IMGP1750.jpg

SW-b (White Hair)

BENBAGGIEGaryBorbidge_zps2d8e5d8f.jpg

SW-f - Photo courtesy of Gary Borbidge

IMGP1571.jpg

ESB-a - 1st issue - Found in the rare 15 figure Multi-Pack - excused the god awful picture, will get this replaced soon as I can :oops:

IMGP6365.jpg

ESB-c Grey Hair

IMGP1457.jpg

ESB-h - Note the thin Palitoy issued saber tip but in a kenner issued baggie?

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:27 am

Bespin Security Guard ( BLACK )

IMGP6941.jpg

ESB-d - Said to be a Cat IV but IMO is not a Rare baggie at all, but I presume a large cache of these has been found since the SWCA baggie guide was written??.

IMGP6615_zpsc2aefb90.jpg

ESB-h - You could class this one as Cat IV or even V IMO, first one I have ever seen, thats assuming it is indeed a legitimate baggie, though I can't see anything pointing toward it not being bar it's scarcity, as material type/size/seal all look good

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:32 am

Bespin Security Guard ( WHITE )

Palitoy-a.jpg

Palitoy-a

IMGP9900_zpssjqirteb.jpg

Palitoy-b PHOTO COURTESY OF - Laurence Dyer

IMGP2258.jpg

ESB-c Said to be a Cat III on the SWCA guide, but IMO MUCH harder to obtain than the supposed Cat IV BBSG above, I also have always found it very odd that this is the sole Kenner issued baggie type that this figure has been found in.

Return to “Vintage Reference Library”