Vintage display of damaged cards/bubbles

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Firstly NO Vintage components were harmed in the process I havetried here.

I recently bought some cardbacks with loose bubbles one of which was a C3PO ESB 45 back.
Checked with a Palitoy guru that it was a kosher card bubble and figure, all good.

Had an idea....tried it...I'm happy with the result, see what you guys think ?

Put a request out for top loader links on here and Gorneesh kindly answered and sent me 5 top loaders free of charge, he even paid the post, thank you again mate, that was so nice of you, yet again proving what a great forum we have here with some ABSOLOUTELY fantastic members.

So... Put the components together, measured the bubble area by roughly drawing round it.
Put a piece of card board in the toploader to protect the back, cut around the lines , popped in the components, hey presto! I think, for me and my own personal collecting, this looks fine and presentable.
I know it's not a MOC, and never will be.
It's not perfect, but neither am I :lol:
Think I paid £23 for the cardback bubble and figure

Anyway se what you guys think....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 2,685
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 2,685
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 2,685
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 2,688

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Speaking with the Palitoy guru, he pointed that out to me, the fact that this was something that happened, bubbles were sometimes put upside down, and the fact that the bubble numbers matched up to the imprint on the card, added to its credibility of all being original.
Big thanks to Ian for that advice :D

So I have a budget piece, with a quirk, that makes it even better for me and my collecting.
Enjoyed doing it as well.

I have a couple more to play with and I will post up the results on this thread as I go along.
So it's giving me some playtime as well....love this hobby 8)

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
That look absolutely fantastic! And what a nice rare piece to do it with, too. Love the quikiness of the upside down bubble. Never seen that before. Look forward to seeing your other card and bubbles once done.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes pleased with the C3PO

These fellas will be a little more challenging, not going to use any glues so whatever I do to them will mean it's for display but won't damage any further.
Ideally original name plates but not going to be able to get them on their own.
Love the Han and it has a sliced bubble.
Need a large head Han and blaster, AtAt driver rifle, and a blaster for Luke X Wing then I will be ready to go :D
Don't know what the story is on the sticker on the back of the Han card, but will have a little research to do.

I love this part of collecting, budget but also a little work to do to get them to display.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 2,601
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 2,603

Palifan

Sith Lord
Only just noticed this thread Mike so great work on putting the 3PO together, looks fantastic :D

looking forward to seeing the rest once you get all the various bits and pieces together to complete them, should all look nice in the New Year.

Ian

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes Happy with the C3PO :D

Not had chance to play with the others yet, put the LXW in the toploader for size, put the ATAT driver in a toploader, but not sealed in anyway as I still need rifle and to look at repairing name plate, but have tidied up TL Biker Scout, double sided tape on the bubble. I know the hanger is damaged, but looks fine for me :D

Attachments

• IMG_2675.JPG
    IMG_2675.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 2,569
  • IMG_2676.JPG
    IMG_2676.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 2,570
  • IMG_2677.JPG
    IMG_2677.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 2,564

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Not done anything further, other than sorted a large head Han to put into the 21 back Kenner

He has no footer and still the tear need to see what I can do with it as I don't want to add anything

Thought about trying to lift the secret sticker and respositioning it over the tear but not to sure on doing that. Have to have a think on that.

Still need a smuggler blaster for Luke and a rifle for ATAT driver have some trades to put up

Attachments

• IMG_2696.JPG
    IMG_2696.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 2,209
  • IMG_2697.JPG
    IMG_2697.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 2,206

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
So had a play. Cur a piece of card to shape and printed off a name bar, folded the printed name bar around the cardboard and slid into place, so no glue or anything permanent used, the print was the wrong size and colours were off! So this is only a moc up ( forgive the pun) just to get an idea of what it looks like.

I think it will work for me for display
I will do a tidier print and replacement job and see how it goes. But here's the idea just to get a star on what it will look like :D

Disclaimer....no innocent original moc was harmed in this process and can easily be returned to the original damaged state :D

They look even better ( for me anyway) when on display :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_2700.JPG
    IMG_2700.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 2,203
  • IMG_2703.JPG
    IMG_2703.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 2,202
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom