Repair S-Foil wings on Vintage X-wing

Tank1252

Jedi Master
Hey fellas,
I've got a vintage Kenner X-wing where the S-foil wings don't stay locked open when i press on Artoo's head. Anyone know if there's a repair for this? I've searched around and i can't seem to find much on the problem, let alone a repair. Surely it's pretty common?

btw...i've also got an imperial troop transporter with no sound, i'll give the fix posted in these forums a go when i get a spare minute or ten.

han duo

Sith Lord
have you opened them both up?

the imperial transport has a small record player inside and the motor can require a kick start and a touch of WD-40

if you take some close up photos of them both, opened up then i may be able to point you in the right direction....

Tank1252

Jedi Master
No mate, only just received them both cheap from a US RS member.

I see there's a repair posted for the sound of the Transport, reckon i'll open that one up & give it a go.

As far as the X-wing was concerned, i wasn't going to bother opening the X-wing up if there was no repair. So you think it may be repairable mate? I think i can get it open (found a kiwi site that has instructions that can hopefully get me inside). Maybe i'll get it open, have a poke around & come back to you...

Cheers for the help.

gustie

Sith Lord
troop transporters are fun to fix LOL - could be the motor or the elastic band on the mini record player inside it

Tank1252

Jedi Master
I'm hoping it's just the band. I'm looking forward to playing around with it tbh, my sort of thing! Got a long weekend over here this weekend so may give it a go (after i mow, build some shelving in the garage, put up a covered deck in the back yard etc...)

aussiejames

Sith Lord
Hi, which X-wing? The R2 locking mechanism is different for the battledamaged. There is a lip at the base of the"R2" which you can only see when you pull it apart. A small section is probably brocken off, just rotate it 180 degrees and it's fixed. The troop transporter repair guide is great but it does not mention a metal strip and post which should be cleaned(sanded) The "record player arm" moves the metal strip on & off the post (ie. it is the switch mechanism that stops the record after each sound) Hope you have a win :)

Tank1252

Jedi Master
aussiejames said:
Hi, which X-wing? The R2 locking mechanism is different for the battledamaged. There is a lip at the base of the"R2" which you can only see when you pull it apart. A small section is probably brocken off, just rotate it 180 degrees and it's fixed. The troop transporter repair guide is great but it does not mention a metal strip and post which should be cleaned(sanded) The "record player arm" moves the metal strip on & off the post (ie. it is the switch mechanism that stops the record after each sound) Hope you have a win :)

Hey James, another Aussie, where are you in Australia mate?
Thanks for the advice, it's for the original X-wing (not the battle damaged). Is this what you're referring to with the repair?
Cheers, and welcome!!

aussiejames

Sith Lord
Hi, I'm in Perth. There is a different locking mechanism for the original vs battledamaged I can't remember which one was easy to fix by spinning R2 around. It's fun pulling it apart and having a look. I'm sure you'll have it working in no time. :)

Tank1252

Jedi Master
No worries mate, Perth couldn't be further from me (Coffs Harbour).
As far as the x-wing, i've hopefully got another one coming, which should enable to crack this one & have a poke around with it without too many worries.
Cheers!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom