Coin Reference Thread

shawn_k

Sith Lord
Since I have had some coin questions asked in the past few months, I thought I would be nice to put together a coin reference thread. A lot of these come from the main coin page on the Collectors Archive, but I think these are the ones that are good for someone starting out.

Guides

One of the first things that I think can confuse people is the Category system. Gus Lopez has written two articles that use the system. For the person just starting out I think his original article has a little more information about it and what his resoning was for why certain coins fall into their respective category.

Original Coin Category Article

A little while after a new guide was written which included other coins like the Droids, Ewoks, and Prototype coins. Some of the catagories were also changed a little bit.

Comprehensive Guide to POTF, Droids, and Ewoks Coins

Production

There are some great items that have turned up involving the production process of the coins. The main article that I really recommend reading is on the archive again. It details the entire process of how a coin is made.

A Coin is Born: Kenner's Power of the Force Coins, from Concept to Mass Production.

A video was recently found on youtube which can help with the above article to visualize the process.

Making Coins

Some of the items that have turned up involving the production process on the archive include:

Preliminary Coin Art
Creatures Stage 1 Hardcopy
Creatures Softcopy
Creatures Text Master
Creatures Coin Dies

Prototype/Unproduced

There are a lot of different coins out there that fall into this category. These are the most recognized ones that I feel a coin collector starting out should know about. Many more can be found at the main coin archive link at the top.

At the top of the list is the Pitch coin. This coin was believed to have been used to pitch the idea of collectors coins to Lucasfilm/vendors.

Luke Jedi Pitch Coin

One of the easiest coin prototypes to obtain is the Luke X-Wing smaller coin. The archive states only 400, but that number is believed to be a lot higher than that now. This is also one of the cheapest prototype coins to buy.

Small Luke X-Wing Prototype Coin

One of the most highly sought after prototype coins is the 63rd coin. It was to be included with a mail away offer for a coin binder on the proposed 93 back card. The coin can be found in both gold and silver colors. The A-Wing pilot coin can also be found in the same color of gold as the 63rd. It is a lighter shade of gold than the Droids coins. This is believed to have been a coin to test the gold color for the 63rd.

Silver 63rd
Gold 63rd
93 Cardback
Mail Away Album
Gold A-Wing Pilot

Repros/Restrikes

Most reproduction coins are very easy to tell if they are fake or not. The majority out there are not made of aluminum and are one sided. Most of these end up on recarded figures. However, there are at least some convincing fakes of Boba Fet and Anakin. These coins were discussed on this thread on rebelscum.

Repro coins

The restrikes are a completely different matter. They were produced by the original coin company that did the original coins as a test for Hasbro when they were planning the Millennium Minted figure series. These coins are thicker than original coins and also weigh more. Here are some great links with info about them.

List of which coins were restruck
Thick/Thin Coins

Display

One of the big dilemmas with coins is how to display them. Some collectors simply use pog pages and keep them in a notebook or a stack of coin holders. Many others choose to make/have made custom frames. A lot of the frames out there base their design on the Executive set. These were sets that were sent to Lucasfilm/Kenner Executives that were framed with two complete sets of coins showing front and back. Here is a great guide that was made a couple years ago and some of the ideas that have been done before.

Adam Burges' Frame Guide
Executive Set
Boba Fisher POTF Coin Frame
Boba Fisher Droids and Ewoks Frame
Jim Skoi Frame
G_Man Frame
The Guv Frame
My Frame
Framed Coin with Mailer Envelope

The other option are airtite cases. These can be found on ebay or coin supply websites.

The size of case needed for the standard size coins is 39mm and the small Luke proto coin is 32mm. Most collectors use the cases with a black foam ring, but a white version is available as well.

The coin size also is the same as a U.S. size poker chip. I recently found some cheaper display options originally made for poker chips, but should also work with POTF coins. I hope to order the 6 coin display case soon to try them out with my Ewoks coins. I've never ordered from the site before, so I cannot vouch for their service.

63 Coin Insert
12 Coin Insert
6 Coin Display Case
3 Coin Display Case

Prices

The prices on coins have fluctuated a lot over the years. A complete set can take a long time to piece together and requires some patience when you get to the later category coins. If cost is a factor, but you still want some coins, I feel that collecting just the Category 1 and 2 coins is a very leasable goal. It was mine originally, but for some reason I just couldn't stop there. :) I use a thread on rebelscum that works very well as a general price guide. This seller has broken up and sold several coin sets over the last few years.

FS: PotF coins for sale, all Categories!

This concludes my coin reference thread. I'm sure I'll be making some edits to add things in the future and I'm welcome to any suggestions.

Joe

Grand Master
Very comprehensive coin reference thread Shawn, great work!

Not seen everything but will have a long read tonight :)

shawn_k

Sith Lord
whiteskinnydroid said:
Very comprehensive coin reference thread Shawn, great work!

Not seen everything but will have a long read tonight :)

Thanks Joe. Hopefully it makes some kind of sense. :)

Joe

Grand Master
I am getting there, not up to framing yet, I will still have a read although I am not a coin fan, but who knows perhaps this thread will change that :lol:

(probably change when I read the prices bit ;) - can you get many coins for a fiver ? :lol: )

shawn_k

Sith Lord
whiteskinnydroid said:
I am getting there, not up to framing yet, I will still have a read although I am not a coin fan, but who knows perhaps this thread will change that :lol:

(probably change when I read the prices bit ;) - can you get many coins for a fiver ? :lol: )

Hopefully I don't create any new competition with this thread :)

Pretty much all the coins that go with the last 17 can be had for a fiver. Then they start to go up from there.

Joe

Grand Master
I have about ten coins that I picked up either with figures or randomly , I like the Biker Scout coin that I have!

I think if I was going to collect or venture into coins I would stop at the last 17, Anakin and Yak face would be my limit I think..(~will have to check more of the above for pricing)

Edit- checked the last post, hmm interestingly Anakin and Yak are reasonably inexpensive...Oh dear I fear another bug coming on :shock:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
whiteskinnydroid said:
can you get many coins for a fiver ? :lol: )

Well, if you wanna send me a fiver I'll send you five £1 coins! How's that sound? :lol:

plantman

Sith Lord
ive started picking up a few mail in coins ect, they are nice to have, but the prices get stupid...and to be honest ill sell a few.

Joe

Grand Master
weasel said:
whiteskinnydroid said:
can you get many coins for a fiver ? :lol: )

Well, if you wanna send me a fiver I'll send you five £1 coins! How's that sound? :lol:

Make it six and you pay postage and you have a deal :lol:

Tank1252

Jedi Master
Cool mate, great thread, i'll got thru it in detail tonight.

Coins in Aus seem to be going for stupid prices like everything else. All those coins that were/are on atm situated in Australia are going way too high. I thought i'd get a few, but i've only got one so far.

btw Shawn, picked up a great set of scales last night....hopefully no repro coins for me!

err....btw2....what are the weights of genuine & repro coins lol!!!! :roll:

shawn_k

Sith Lord
Tank1252 said:
Cool mate, great thread, i'll got thru it in detail tonight.

Coins in Aus seem to be going for stupid prices like everything else. All those coins that were/are on atm situated in Australia are going way too high. I thought i'd get a few, but i've only got one so far.

btw Shawn, picked up a great set of scales last night....hopefully no repro coins for me!

err....btw2....what are the weights of genuine & repro coins lol!!!! :roll:

I've been watching those auctions as well. I tried to snipe the 2-1B coin last night. I thought my snipe was in US Dollars, but it went in Aus or else I would have probably won it. :(

Good job on getting the scale. I wish I would have picked one up earlier. Luckily all my coins turned out okay. Legit coins all weigh in between the 4-5 gram range where the restrikes will be around 6.5. The restrikes will also be thicker like the POTF2 Millennium Mint coins. I recommend getting one of those as it gives you an idea of the difference in person, so you will know what to look for. It should be pretty cheap to pick one up.

Tank1252

Jedi Master
skemple said:
Tank1252 said:
Good job on getting the scale. I wish I would have picked one up earlier. Luckily all my coins turned out okay. Legit coins all weigh in between the 4-5 gram range where the restrikes will be around 6.5. The restrikes will also be thicker like the POTF2 Millennium Mint coins. I recommend getting one of those as it gives you an idea of the difference in person, so you will know what to look for. It should be pretty cheap to pick one up.

Are these coins known as anything else? I did a search on Aus Ebay that came up with nothing, & US & UK ebay came up pretty much the same.

aussiejames

Sith Lord
30th anniversary coins? I have 3 (cost $10) but they are gold? And I have some TAC coins to go through as well- are these different to the 30th anniversary coins? I guess I have some research to do :)

shawn_k

Sith Lord
Tank1252 said:
Are these coins known as anything else? I did a search on Aus Ebay that came up with nothing, & US & UK ebay came up pretty much the same.

Usually you can just type potf coin in the search and you'll get some results. I have also seen sellers call them medallions too, so you can always try some variations in the search.

aussiejames said:
30th anniversary coins? I have 3 (cost $10) but they are gold? And I have some TAC coins to go through as well- are these different to the 30th anniversary coins? I guess I have some research to do :)

Yeah these are the original coins that came out just before the end of the Star Wars toy line in '85. The TAC coins were kind of a throwback to these coins. They are mentioned in the binder that goes with the TAC coins.

Tank1252

Jedi Master
Sorry Shawn, i should have been clearer. I meant the POTF2 Millennium Mint coins to get as a reference. Can't find any available to Australia.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom