Header image

U Grade FAQ

Information on variations, weapons, cleaning and repair etc
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: U Grade FAQ

Postby shawn_k » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:55 am

weasel wrote:Great effort Shawn, really hope this stops people going down the U root.

PS, I noticed one spelling mistake in the "Those examples are just basic figures. Is there any damage actually being done to anything rare?" second paragraph.

Ohh and I'll sticky this (If I can figure out how)

Cheers! and thanks for telling me about the mistake. I'll see if I can find it and get it fixed.

I just added another section at the bottom of the page directing the user to several of the threads where U grading has been discussed.

Thanks to everyone for the support. I've had a quite few good hits to the article since posting this a week ago. The next step for me is to get a banner created that can be used in ebay auctions to help get the word out to those not on forums. Anyone is free to link to the site.

tigerham
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby tigerham » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:22 pm

As I didn't know anything about 'U' grades it's been very educational and know to steer well clear but to be hoenst they've never tickled my fancy :wink:

I think it sacrilege what people are doing, call themselves collectors... like mentioned, think they're just after a nice shiney case :evil:

Me? Yeah I go for graded MOC's for 2 main reasons, to know they're genuine and to preserve the beauty of they're original states as they came like off the production line... not loose in an acrylic case!

So thanks Shawn, well appreciated :)

shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby shawn_k » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:54 am

I'm sure some of you have seen the debate going on in the AFA section of RS.

At the request of another member, I've added a petition element to the bottom of the FAQ. I invite all who would like to see something done about the U grade to sign. It may not do much, but at least it could give them/us an actual idea of how many collectors do not agree with that part of their service.

PGowdy
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: U Grade FAQ (Sign the Petition)

Postby PGowdy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:47 am

UGrading is vile. I'll sign! :evil:
Former forum member.

tigerham
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby tigerham » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:14 am

Yeah cool, I'll sign. I have a U grade Speeder Biker but those U grades are different surely as they've been pulled from a Crate not a cardback!

Ham

tigerham
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby tigerham » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:28 am

Bloody hell what a bunch of school boys, pro's and cons. At the end of the day it wont stop and I do see both sides as some beaters are completely ruined BUT they are still vintage and great collectables. Me personally only go for MOC's and the rare occasion loose but will card them anyways lol.

People are never gonna stop doing this U grade stuff and yeah it's good to make everyone aware of the pro's and cons then they can decide for themselves but lets just save the ones we can and leave it at that ;-)

Josh
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Josh » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:33 am

Last edited by Josh on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby shawn_k » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:17 am

Josh wrote:I linked to it on SWCC for you Shawnie ;) And of course, signed it :D

Thanks everyone for the support. Also, thanks Josh for the link. Really appreciate it mate.

Let's at least show AFA how many collectors "Really Do Care" :)

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby weasel » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:05 pm

That's me signed up as well. Unfortunately, I can't see it doing any good but it won't do any harm.
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

plantman
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby plantman » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:49 pm

lets just all ignore U grades and not buy them, then the market hounds wont be able to make a profit so it wont happen.

And all the U grade fanatics might just go away......
"These ARE the droids your looking for...now how much for the pair?"

tiefighterboy
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby tiefighterboy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:58 pm

I remember AFA when it first started. At that point they only graded Starting Line-up baseball figures. It was stupid then and it is stupid now. Just wish I would have came up with the idea back then to charge people money so I could tell them what they already new about the condition of their figures.

PGowdy
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby PGowdy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:07 pm

plantman wrote:lets just all ignore U grades and not buy them, then the market hounds wont be able to make a profit so it wont happen.

Agreed. I don't buy Ugrades and actually would never use AFA because of the UGrading tho i don't expect that to be everyone's choice. Not buying the Ugrades tho will help to stop the fad.
I don't know how anyone can stand them, they make me sad to look at. :cry:
Like owning a sin in a box...
Last edited by PGowdy on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former forum member.

tiefighterboy
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby tiefighterboy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:48 pm

PGowdy wrote:
plantman wrote:lets just all ignore U grades and not buy them, then the market hounds wont be able to make a profit so it wont happen.

Agreed. I don't but Ugrades and actually would never use AFA because of the UGrading tho i don't expect that to be everyone's choice. Not buying the Ugrades tho will help to stop the fad.
I don't know how anyone can stand them, they make me sad to look at. :cry:
Like owning a sin in a box...

or a loose figure that is way over priced. :wink:

PGowdy
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby PGowdy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:45 pm

Indeed. It's idiotic. "But no human hands have ever touched it" (said in idiot kids voice)
Yes, except the half a dozen to a dozen people in the factory and the person who removed it from the packaging for grading. Yes, other than all those people, no one's ever touched it.
Former forum member.

Imperial nut
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Imperial nut » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:36 pm

PGowdy wrote:Indeed. It's idiotic. "But no human hands have ever touched it" (said in idiot kids voice)
Yes, except the half a dozen to a dozen people in the factory and the person who removed it from the packaging for grading. Yes, other than all those people, no one's ever touched it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Does anyone ever remember spinal tap:

"look at this guitar, its never even been played!!!"
"can i touch it?"
"No"
"i wasn't going to touch it, i was just pointing at it."
"well don't point even."
"can i look at it?"

"no."

Uncirculated is a crazy idea that came from the coin an note collecting realm and it is really mad when you think of it??

Mint condition equals coins ----- but a good guitar which also have a few of, will get better with time and use (most of them) , but with everything else the shinier the better.
I have had some amazing guitars that were astethically ruined but sounded amazing.
The Eyes will tell you its worth a tenner and your ears a thousand.

I dont agree with U grading as its collectors adding value to their own collections to sell them to other collectors to add val,,,, you get the idea.
It is a vicious circle that is driving prices of loose up and no one needs it?? except traders or greedy f**kers who couldnt give flying f**k about the figures, or what they mean.

I dont mind beaters and played with lots, i find it sad to see a toy that has had no use, i know as a kid i had precious few star wars and almost no vehicles, cause we couldnt afford em, and to think there were boxes of "mint" figures lying around waiting for me to rip open when i was a kid would have drove me apeshit.

A question would it be ok to buy an moc and open it if you were going to play with it and get the opening experience you had every time you got one as a kid.??

:| Discuss
Who needs a Blue Snag, i want A stormtrooper lined up in the hanger.

Return to “Vintage Reference Library”