U Grade FAQ

Information on variations, weapons, cleaning and repair etc
RobF1968
New User
New User

Re: U Grade FAQ

Postby RobF1968 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:46 pm

Hi Shawn,

Many Thanks for the post - it makes fascinating and informative reading. As someone selling figures from my childhood for the first time I can only hope they give a collector as much pleasure as they gave me as a kid.

I see what you mean about the cards and bubbles - although my bubbles are dented and a couple have cracks I now see the importance to this hobby of keeping what in effect amounts to pieces of history intact.
Such a shame to not keep the whole thing together!

I hope things change.

All The Best

Rob

Djbighair
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Djbighair » Sat May 19, 2012 6:59 am

As an earlier post on page 3 :lol: I have just returned to the hobby and this whole grading thing was new to me... I did most of my loose collection from childhood and boot sales in my early 20's or the old corn exchange in Manchester before someone blew it up. A day out was fun if you came a way with a beat up weapon less figure you didn't own. That's gone now... eBay took away the hunt. Now this grading system seems to me... Like a man unsure of his manhood not content with just having the item it's mine is bigger better than yours. You collect what you collect it's quality is your choice and down to your purse.. Or luck in finding that piece somewhere random. Removing a figure from a card is madness to be put in another box. I agree for your own pleasure great, I am sure one day I may open a card, just to see if that fresh open smell of a new toy gives the same feeling I got opening a gamorrean guard back in 84. Still remember it, awesome.

Stick the most beat up card in a star case, surely is better. Can't understand it.

But, thank you for this knowledge, it will make sure I stay focused and not buy something I don't agree with.

Rich

Ps.... Where is the best place to buy star cases from in the uk?
Because he's holding a thermal detonater.

BlueDog
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby BlueDog » Sat May 19, 2012 7:34 am

Hey Rob,

Contact Iain (Itfciain) on here mate, from memory he has a good deal going on Star cases at the moment.

Ryan
See Ya!

coinnut
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby coinnut » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:39 am

a great read. food for thort!!!

theslider
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby theslider » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:26 pm

What I don't understand about all this is the fact that the figures is MINT ON CARD (or baggie), yet they only grade it 90 (out of a 100)! Personally I think all these grading organisations are a sham, what right to they have to say your figure, card or whatever else is a certain grade? I think the only thing they're good for is those nice plastic cases to prevent damage!
Need the following Palitoy carded/reseals:

Zuckuss (45 back import with sticker)

Howard
New User
New User

Postby Howard » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Great read, learned a lot. Thanks

I have a couple of de-figured card backs were I guess a previous collector sent a MOC to AFA for a U grade. Are these worth anything to anyone now? (A question of interest only, I am not looking to sell)

Dark Sith Lord
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Dark Sith Lord » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:01 pm

Depends what they are mate? Are they ROTJ ESB Forign Offers?? Any pics?
"Ill probably be broke and homeless but I'll have a hell of a collection!"

Howard
New User
New User

Postby Howard » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:00 pm

Dark Sith Lord wrote:Depends what they are mate? Are they ROTJ ESB Forign Offers?? Any pics?

The two that I remember clearly where POTF, possibly a ROTJ Leia Boussh as well. No pics at the moment though

Dark Sith Lord
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Dark Sith Lord » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:15 am

Anyone read that long winded post on RS? :twisted:

Quote - "If people believe that leaving a figure on the card is somehow preserving it, well, unfortunately I'm not in that camp. "

:?

Here is a link - http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1034227-33/#post18920051
"Ill probably be broke and homeless but I'll have a hell of a collection!"

plantman
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby plantman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:28 am

I can understand people opening a moc for their own enjoyment, thats up to the person in question, peoples obsession with AFA grades makes the money makers come out though.

Once a premium is charged for something thats the end of it.
"These ARE the droids your looking for...now how much for the pair?"

theslider
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby theslider » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:00 pm

plantman wrote:I can understand people opening a moc for their own enjoyment, thats up to the person in question, peoples obsession with AFA grades makes the money makers come out though.

Once a premium is charged for something thats the end of it.

And that's another thing that bugs me about U grading, is that some Fat American on his sweaty arse gets to open a carded figure or baggie! Apologies to any fat, sweaty American members!
Need the following Palitoy carded/reseals:

Zuckuss (45 back import with sticker)

lostboy87
Regular
Regular

Postby lostboy87 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:39 pm

Djbighair wrote:As an earlier post on page 3 :lol: I have just returned to the hobby and this whole grading thing was new to me... I did most of my loose collection from childhood and boot sales in my early 20's or the old corn exchange in Manchester before someone blew it up. A day out was fun if you came a way with a beat up weapon less figure you didn't own. That's gone now... eBay took away the hunt. Now this grading system seems to me... Like a man unsure of his manhood not content with just having the item it's mine is bigger better than yours. You collect what you collect it's quality is your choice and down to your purse.. Or luck in finding that piece somewhere random. Removing a figure from a card is madness to be put in another box. I agree for your own pleasure great, I am sure one day I may open a card, just to see if that fresh open smell of a new toy gives the same feeling I got opening a gamorrean guard back in 84. Still remember it, awesome.

Stick the most beat up card in a star case, surely is better. Can't understand it.

But, thank you for this knowledge, it will make sure I stay focused and not buy something I don't agree with.

Rich

Ps.... Where is the best place to buy star cases from in the uk?

Here Here!
These ARE the Droids I am looking for!

jackabina
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby jackabina » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:23 pm

Shawn, I know your original thread was set up ages ago but I've only just read it properly. Bloody informative mate, thanks for the info. :)
If ignorance is bliss, you lot must be in a permanent state of orgasm!

jambobbyb
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby jambobbyb » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:29 pm

While i disagree with U-bend grading, the figures do show why this may well be so popular
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-Vin ... true&rt=nc
And
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOOSE-VINTAGE ... 3a7242f454

Nearly double the value after paying for the grade............

itfciain
Approved Trader
Approved Trader

Postby itfciain » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:52 pm

I'm not sure they would UGrade that first card as you can probably touch the figure. Also, Robbie might be asking for £99 for his Leia but that doesn't mean he'll get it !
"I'll probably be broke and homeless but I'll have a hell of a collection!"

For all your display requirements - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26287

And for vintage goodness - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/iainitfc/_i.html?_sop=3&rt=nc

Return to “Vintage Reference Library”